King Crimson? Pika?

capeda

Eric the Halibut
Mar 18, 2002
Riverside, California
Visit site
I'm listening to what just may be the best album I ever listened to... I heard their album 'Discipline' and wasn't terribly impressed, but upon hearing 'Lark's Tongue In Aspic' a few times in the past few days... wow. Are 'Starless and Bible Black' or 'Red' as good as this?

Dont forget the first two albums- especially Wake of poseidon- pictures of a city is just a unbelievable track

Yep, Thrak kicks ass.
I think Discipline is a great album. Give it a chance, it might grow on you.

I saw Crimson last year two nights in a row, and I'd have to say that was the best $40 I've spent in quite some time. I never realized how bad-ass a guitar player Adrian Belew was. I always assumed that Fripp was doing most of the crazy shit but Belew can get down just as well. Also...as far as I'm concerned Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelotto are one of the most kick ass rhythm sections on the face of the planet.

I hope Maudlin are still doing this shit when they're in the their fifties.

aspik.gif
aspik.gif
aspik.gif
aspik.gif
aspik.gif
aspik.gif
aspik.gif
aspik.gif

It's the aspickingest.

Well, I think Discipline had some really neat moments, but some songs dragged on longer than they should have, specifically Elephant Talk, Thela Hun Ginjeet, and The Sheltering Sky.

On the other hand, half the album is pretty perfect. I wouldnt change a thing about Frame by Frame, Matte Kudasai, and Indiscipline.

Capeda...you had asked a while back on my "top ten" thread if their were any bands comparable to Dillinger and the only ones I know of are some of the other Relapse bands, mainly Luddite Clone and Burnt By The Sun. Unfortunately, I think Luddite Clone no longer exists which is a damn shame. Creation is Crucifixion is worth checking out and I recently read at about a band called As The Sun Sets, but I've yet to hear them. The Botch CD We Are The Romans is mandatory also. I'm not as up on shit as some of the other people who hang out here so I'm sure there's some other stuff out there that maybe somebody can recommend. Dillinger definitely upped the ante with Calculating Infinity though and the new album with Mike Patton is fucking awesome but you probably already know that.

Originally posted by capeda
I'm listening to what just may be the best album I ever listened to... I heard their album 'Discipline' and wasn't terribly impressed, but upon hearing 'Lark's Tongue In Aspic' a few times in the past few days... wow. Are 'Starless and Bible Black' or 'Red' as good as this?

Not really. If you wanna go for Gold in this era, check out The Great Deciver box set of live material, or if you wanna go cheaper, the live set The Nightwatch is a gem as well. This stuff is much better than the studio albums of the same era.

m

Originally posted by sigil23
Not really. If you wanna go for Gold in this era, check out The Great Deciver box set of live material, or if you wanna go cheaper, the live set The Nightwatch is a gem as well. This stuff is much better than the studio albums of the same era.

m

Bah! The two studio albums are fantastic and absolutely necessary if you like Larks Tongues. That said, the live stuff is ALSO fantastic and absolutely necessary. I really think everything Crimson ever did is worth owning. Not all of it is transcendent, but it's almost always interesting.

mike t