any King Crimson fans out there? Ulver too...

Apocalyptic

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2002
first door on left
www.deoxy.org
Hallo
I was just wondering if there is any King Crimson fans out there. My favorite Crimso album is Red, though Larks Tounge in Aspic is amazing also. What about Gentle Giant, Yes, Caravan, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Birth Control, Camel, Flower Kings etc? Any opinions on Ulver? Ulver is actually my favorite band of all time, their album Perdition City is an absolute masterpiece. The Silence EP's and Lynkanthropic Themes are also masterpieces that will grow on you with time. I havent got to hear Alive Again yet, but The Closing Chronicle has been in my cd player more then any other cd in the last month. Dan's voice is so damn nice. He is deffinatly up there as one of my favorite vocalists (along with Ihsahn, King Diamond, Derek Shulman, Mikael from Opeth, etc). He can sing so damn nice yet also have a very unique deathmetal voice, which cant be said about to many people now adays. Also i just have to say listen to the guitar solo on Keeping the Faith from Diabolical Masquerade! its one of the most beautiful guitar solos ive ever heard, and ofcouse done by Dan. ok, im done sounding cheesey, hah. peace!

which Themes? heh, because theres 2 now (William Blake and Lynkanthropic). Im used to calling Willam Blake just Themes for all this time but now i see people are calling Lynkanthropic Themes just Themes, probably because they dont want to spell out Lyncanthropic each time. William Blake used to be my favorite album of all time, then Peridition is. But then again, its to hard to compare the 2. its like comparing a 10 to a 9.99. Ulver is doing a show in Chicago in March or something, and i live in michigan, so theres no chance in hell that im going to miss it. also they have like 4 or 5 new albums coming out just in 2003 (Lynkanthropic themes, another soundtrack, 2 cd tribute type thing, new full length and new EP). this will be a great year for Ulver

I love Crimson...the most adventurous of all progressive rock bands. Many of the other cornerstones of prog you mentioned are responsible for some of the most clever and epic music ever created. Ulver's electronic stuff is excellent...pure atmosphere.

Crimson is one of my favorite 70's prog bands. I'm a big fan of "Red" and "Starless". Ulver's "Perdition City" is beautiful, but I think the new album is boring.

oh hell yeah, Starless is one of the best songs ever made. The climax to the end of the song is.... well words cant describe the feeling i get when i hear it. There could have been no better way for them to have gone out (well, for the 70s era) then with that song. Fallen Angel gives me chills when i listen to it because its just so damn good. The new ulver album could be boring if you listened to it at anytime, but if your in the mood for it its unbelivable. That may sound stupid, but for an album like Lynkanthropic Themes (or really any post-nattens ulver album), you have to be in the right mood for it to fully enjoy it. My favorite 3 prog bands are Crimso, Gentle Giant and Yes. Though gentle giant and yes have both made some pretty shitty albums. But then again, albums like Octopus (GG) and Relayer (Yes) make it very easy to forgive that. what about any Dvoark fans?!? go get his 7th symphony (in D minor). one of my favorite pieces of music of all time

I agree... "Starless" is the definitive KC composition... along with "Get Down Tonight... uhhh... whoops... that's another KC

Gentle Giant may be my favorite 70's band. Geniuses.

Originally posted by Apocalyptic
oh hell yeah, Starless is one of the best songs ever made. The climax to the end of the song is.... well words cant describe the feeling i get when i hear it. There could have been no better way for them to have gone out (well, for the 70s era) then with that song. Fallen Angel gives me chills when i listen to it because its just so damn good. The new ulver album could be boring if you listened to it at anytime, but if your in the mood for it its unbelivable. That may sound stupid, but for an album like Lynkanthropic Themes (or really any post-nattens ulver album), you have to be in the right mood for it to fully enjoy it. My favorite 3 prog bands are Crimso, Gentle Giant and Yes. Though gentle giant and yes have both made some pretty shitty albums. But then again, albums like Octopus (GG) and Relayer (Yes) make it very easy to forgive that. what about any Dvoark fans?!? go get his 7th symphony (in D minor). one of my favorite pieces of music of all time

Do you like Modest Mussorgski, or John Cage? Not that they are alike...

I like Ulver's Perdition City a lot. The two "silence" -ep's are also pretty good (especially the latter of those) but there are too many weird cracking noises or whatever on those albums. And I just ordered Lychantropen.

i have heard some music from Mussorgski's Pictures from an Exhibition, and what i heard i really liked. I do enjoy traditional classical music (like vivaldi, bach, mozart, etc), but i like composers that do things out of the ordinary. Mussorgski fits under the out of the ordinary i think, so i have been planning on buying Pictures.... soon. Ever hear of Stockhausen? thats some very odd stuff, but i like it alot. I havent heard any of John Cage. What would you recommend from him?
antti-well, heh if you dont really like the noises, then im sorry to say that you probably wont like Lyckantropen. It has alot of noises and ambiences, but i dont think it gets boring at all. When i first got it i was like "hmmm its ok" but then after a week i loved it.

Stockhausen is neat stuff, although I don't own any recordings. John Cage is not for the feint of heart. His music is Serialism, which is some fucked up shit man! It revolves around the idea that you can't play one note twice until you play all the others first, sort of. George Antheil's Ballet Mechanique is by far the most out there, abrasive orchestral music I have ever heard.

ill have to hear some of John Cage and George Antheil then. sounds pretty interesting. i havent heard Stock, Hausen and Walkman. I would also like to hear them. btw, do any of you have Alive Again from Nightingale? I just ordered it yesterday and i want to know how good it is. I have The Closing Chronicles and i love it

You kidding me!

I LOVE Ulver and King Crimson. Both rule. I've got almost all of both bands albums, and I must say that KC is one of the greatest prog bands in history.