King Diamond - The Puppet Master

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
King Diamond - The Puppet Master
Metal Blade Records - 2003
By Philip Whitehouse

king.jpg

Now, I'm not going to claim I've ever been a big King Diamond fan. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that other than the odd couple of Mercyful Fate songs I've heard, I've been pretty much blissfully ignorant of the King's recorded output. Which is strange, considering that the King himself has one of the most dedicated and fervent fanbases in metal, and since 1986 he has been pumping out concept-led heavy metal albums to general acclaim. So, The Puppet Master is my first real introduction to the crazy world of metal a la King Diamond.

The concept behind the album is a horror story centering around the mysterious disappearances and occult happenings surrounding a travelling puppet show and two lovers who meet during it in Budapest. So far, so good - it's different to most other concept albums I've come across! Right then, the music - it's fairly straightforward, riff-tastic heavy metal throughout, punchily produced and memorable into the bargain. Each song is clearly written in such a way as to accentuate the lyrical content - see the keyboard/female vocal interlude in 'Emerencia', which adds a suitably sinister atmosphere to proceedings as the suspense in the story begins to build.

As for the vocals - well, if you're a King Diamond fan or know anything about the man at all, you'll know that the King's vocals are unique and inimitable, and are generally considered something of a make-or-break factor for the band. You either love the King's range of vocals styles (from dramatic intonation to wailing falsetto via growls and spoken word), or you'll find it all hilariously reminiscent of comedian Bill Bailey's take on prog rock, 'The Leg Of Time'. Sadly, I fall generally into the latter camp. While the riffage behind tracks like 'Blue Eyes' is heavy and catchy enough to stand alone, I just can't take the vocals seriously.

However, this is fantastically written music - there is plenty of variety within the songs and enough memorable songwriting to keep you entertained, the production is balanced and powerful, and the story behind the lyrics is actually quite enthralling. If you love the vocals too, then you're in for an absolute treat.

7/10

King Diamond's Official Website
Metal Blade Records Website

The story is King's best in years. And that's really what his albums are about...the story. It was super cool seeing the DVD with him relating the tale, as well.