King Diamond

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
It seems like one artist many of us can agree on around here is the good KING!
I have been a fan for a very long time, thanks in part to my older brother who was a MF / KD fanatic.

I would say my all-time fav King album is still THEM.
That was the first tour I saw King on and it was amazing.
He played the first side of THEM, then a mixture of MF / Fatal Portrait / Abigail, and then finished the set with the second side of THEM.

I also met the band at an autograph signing at ROLLING STONES records. The entire band was extremely cool. Mikkee Dee was esp cool, and I think got a kick out of having a fan as young as I was (As he was hamming it up for pictures).

I am looking forward to the next KD release, esp after the Puppet Master.

ALL HAIL THE KING! :kickass:

I agree 100%

he is the KING!

Them is also my favorite album! That was the first time I heard him! What is that like 88?
I fist heard him when I was 11, I'm 30 now, and have been a huge fan ever since, I never got a chance to see him untill I saw him on the Voodoo tour. but I haven't missed him since. I also saw him for the The House Of God tour, Deadtime tour, 9 tour, Puppett master tour and the Deadly Lullibys tour.

Good thread!

Yeah, THEM was around 1988. Good tour package with Flotsam and Jetsam and Annihilator on the bill too.

I never caught MF live.

Puppet Master was a great tour as well. Finally a proper full length King live album too.

He must have some tour in the works as JAXX nightclub has KING DIAMOND in the coming soon section.

Metal head87 said:
I thought it was Megadeth opening for Them (as well as Fatal Portrait)?

Definitely not in Chicago.
I did see Megadeth that same year at the Aragon, with Warlock and Sanctuary opening.
Maybe you are confusing the two tours?

No. I remember seeing a pic of a ticket that said King Diamond with special guests Megadeth and Flotsam And Jetsam. Maybe it was just for a few shows.

I just went on JAXX and I didn't see King Diamond. Do you have a link?

I am officially excited as hell right now. I hope the rumors of Helstar opening are true.

It also mentions that Satyricon will play there. I hope they come to NY too. Frost is supposed to be able to get in the US now and I want to see for myself why everyone says that he has to be seen live. He seems really great from the bootlegs and of course on the albums, but I've always seen people say that it is nothing compared to his live performances.

Metal head87 said:
No. I remember seeing a pic of a ticket that said King Diamond with special guests Megadeth and Flotsam And Jetsam. Maybe it was just for a few shows.

I just went on JAXX and I didn't see King Diamond. Do you have a link?

That show didn't hit Chicago then. When King Diamond played here at that time, Trouble opened for them at the Aragon.

I tried to find the pic of the ticket but I'm not able to. I remember it was posted on the Diamondbangers forum a while ago but it's not there anymore. It was hacked since then and a lot of the posts were lost.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter.

I saw The King at a place called the Tivoli in Tilburg; Holland. It was at his Abigail-tour if I remember well back in '87 or something. Tivoli doesn't exist anymore, you've got a place called "013" now in Tilburg. He (The King) did a magician-act with fire and stuff.

It was nice to see The King without the paint on his face on that roadrunner DVD with all those team-captains. What's it called......you know.

Jasonic said:
It seems like one artist many of us can agree on around here is the good KING!
You know Jasonic, I'll take some of the heat off your power metal ass. I don't like King Diamond. Well, maybe the guy is okay - I wouldn't know - but his vocals just get on my nerves. I know that doesn't make sense to most people into metal, but then again I'm also that guy who thinks Bob Dylan blows, give or take a song or two. Actually again, it's not the songs that are so much the problem, it's the (sound of) the vocals as such.
Okay, I'll play sitting bull now. :)

Lionfrost said:
You know Jasonic, I'll take some of the heat off your power metal ass. I don't like King Diamond. Well, maybe the guy is okay - I wouldn't know - but his vocals just get on my nerves. I know that doesn't make sense to most people into metal, but then again I'm also that guy who thinks Bob Dylan blows, give or take a song or two. Actually again, it's not the songs that are so much the problem, it's the (sound of) the vocals as such.
Okay, I'll play sitting bull now. :)

Hey man, it's all good!! That's the beautiful thing about music. Some get it and some don't. It is out there for all to enjoy. So no one can bash you if you don't like it or get it. I think anyone can understand why some might not totally be into King's voice.

Jasonic said:
Hey man, it's all good!! That's the beautiful thing about music. Some get it and some don't. It is out there for all to enjoy. So no one can bash you if you don't like it or get it. I think anyone can understand why some might not totally be into King's voice.
Gee, in all honesty I was expecting a nice and juicy bashing read here by now, but none of that. Would it help if I said I think King Diamond whines? :D
Seriously though, the first time Mercyful Fate was suggested to me in one of my former lives was when I had said I loved Solitude Aeturnus both for their music and the amazing vocals. What a bummer when I heard "Melissa" I tell you. I still have it but it really doesn't move me in any which way. That being said, I always thought Quorthon should have stuck to the "Blood, Fire, Death" vocals and not try to go melodic... because basically he can't pull it off. Again, only imho of course.
Erm, maybe all of the above could do with a bit of windowdressing? Oh well.

Well, King definitely has one of those "love it or hate it" voices.
Most King fans could certainly understand why some wouldn't be into it.

Melissa and Don't Break The Oath are indeed classics to me.
Even better is the earlier material which was re-released by ROADRUNNER as "The Beginning" (I think this is the NUNS HAVE NO FUN EP, and other material).

[Even better is the earlier material which was re-released by ROADRUNNER as "The Beginning" (I think this is the NUNS HAVE NO FUN EP, and other material).[/QUOTE]

Yeah; that's right!! That ceedee came out in '88 or something, I don't remember well. It was in the time when people got interested in Mercyful Fate again apart from the solo-King Diamond.

What is he doing now?