king of hiphop drums vst?

Hey Folks!
Apart from metal, I'm having a nice little off project, therefore I need to get more experience about it. I know SD2, SSD, Ezx, AD are the main vsts for metal drums, but haven't really found any good about hiphop stuff. (only shitload of loops - BAH, I hate premade beats! I want to build my own beats!!!)
So if you could help, that'd be great!

something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Load a loop you like ( or several) and slice bass drums, snares, cymbals to arrange new beats.

It was also common practice in old school DnB

yeah, as far as i know, slicing loops is SOP (standard operating procedure) in hip hop. Things have changed nowadays since everything is basically a euro style dance song, which sounds a lot cleaner and more sample based to me, but i think drum machines are still pretty common.

I honestly just STILL use SD2 and process the fuck outta the hits to get em how I like em... but then again I dont do that sort of hip hop that everyone uses fake ass snares and hi-hats on...

SSD4 has some "non rock/metal" samples also, electronic, dubstep, hip hop etc.

if you're running a PC you could try FL Studio, it's very suitable for this style of music as it's pattern based.
there are also many suitable samples included.

Reason.
I'm still on release #2 since I'm not really working constantly on it, but it has tons of excellent features for any kind of electronic music. And you get all in one pack, from beats to loops to synths to effects, so IMHO it's quite a no-brainer if you're doing that kind of stuff.
You can also get TONS of additional Refills, some even for free.

if you're running a PC you could try FL Studio, it's very suitable for this style of music as it's pattern based.
there are also many suitable samples included.
Only use them if you just want to be taken seriously by either shitty rappers or absolute beginners.
Getting a proper drummachine (or a samplepack of an old skool drummachine) of a stack of old vinyl and slice up the drumsbreaks you find there. Then use some bitreduction/filtering/distortion on it, done.

"instead of getting an analog plug in, i got an analog machine and plugged it in"

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so much 808 as everyone think.
Mainly MPC, some 909 (goddamn... 909 clap was all over every song not so long ago), asr. Sometimes motif (Rodney Jerkins come to mind).
Virtual: battery

Some great drum breaks and the most used are....

Jb - The funky Drummer
The incredible bongo band - Apache
The Winstons - Amen Brother (also the sound of every jungle record ever)

check youtube.

There's always the Electronic EZX. It has a bunch of 808/909 style stuff and more. Sounds pretty cool to me for the limited amount of stuff I've done with it. Not really into hiphop, mind you.