Kings of Metal

Yogota

teh Jörgsche O.ô
Jul 23, 2003
Berlin, Germany.
Although Manowar claim to be them, I actually ask all of you: Who are the goddamned Kings of Metal, if there even ARE any? Metallica? Nope, did too much shit (Load/Reload/St. Anger/Bob Rock). Maiden? Naah, they kicked Bruce Dickinson out and never really "evolved" o_o; Ok, surpassing the first great Albums actually is hard (see Metallica), but you can also evolve TOO much (= in the wrong direction = Metallica). I consider Slayer being near to "Kings of Metal", since I can't really think of any Cons except for those ugly Slayer Vans shoes @.@

I think Pantera deserve mention here

They never released any crap, Reinventing the Steel was alright, great by any other bands standards

Phil's stage performance got gradually worse and worse though (due to his drug addiction)...and they didnt get their asses out of america very often! lol

Ive read some very positive stuff about Exodus's upcoming album, i'm very edgy about "come back" albums though...i'll reserve my judgement till I hear it...who knows though? This could be the best album of next year and Exodus will be crowned kings of metal!!!

I would say without a doubt Iron Maiden. Their first Seven releases are masterpieces! Can you think of a single other band that have 7 excelent albums, I can't.

Slayer haven't written a single decent album since 1990.

Metallica hasn't done anything decent since the 80's.

Manowar wear loin cloths! (Good Music, not the best though)

As far as Exodus is concerned, the only truly great thing they ever did was Bonded by Blood.

Well, Pantera aren't worth it if you look at their first 3-4 Albums (Take a look at that "The Demise of Pantera"-Thread for Pictures that will drive you UUGHH).

Edit: If you're too lazy to look or so: Their first 3-4 Albums were more.. Glam Rock/Whatever with "Diamond Darell" (sic!) and one of the shittiest covers in Metal History - Metal Magic. @_@;

Maiden - well, 7 great Albums, yes.. but: They did not evolve in any way. They are kinda "bounded" to the typical NWoBHM-stuff, since their Fans would kill them for anything else (I guess). On the other Hand, Maiden Death Metal would be o_O

Saleswise Iron Maiden and Metallica are neck and neck. I think they both are around 60 million albums sold worldwide. Both bands are still together too, and have been influential. So, i would say its between the two of them. In america its metallica, in Europe its maiden.

After all is said and done, I say Black Sabbath. Without them, we would not be listening to the music that we enjoy so much.

Genocide said:
I would say without a doubt Iron Maiden. Their first Seven releases are masterpieces! Can you think of a single other band that have 7 excelent albums, I can't.

Yes, Opeth has seven excellent albums.

When it comes to naming the Kings of Metal, I think it should be different for each person. When speaking on the basis of their influence on the metal scene, names like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica will always come up, but none of those bands actually had any impact on me personally becoming a fan of metal. Opeth changed my musical tastes forever and converted me to listening to the amazing music I listen to now, so for me they are the Kings of Metal and I'm sure its different for each person. So I guess in the end it all depends on how you want to look at it. Whether it is by how much each band influenced the metal genre in particular or how much they influenced your metal tastes as an individual and I'd have to go with the latter.

I think in order for this thread to work it needs be clarified whether or not to include DM or BM into this discussion.

Opeth doesn't touch Iron Maiden for the title of Kings of Metal!!! ( I do really enjoy their music and would label them as the Kings of progressive(ish) Death Metal.)Damnation is not a masterpiece, more like 5/6 excellent albums.

I wouldn't call Opeth death metal at all. IMO that haven't been around long enough to be considered kings of metal. Other bands worthy of mention are Venom and Bathory for their infuence, but they never achieved the popularity among metal fans to rank them among the kings of metal.

can't be metallica - sold out, and are producing absolute sh|te

maiden - maybe, i like maiden, i just dont love it though ...

slayer - show no mercy is probably my favourite album of all time. hell awaits is great, south of heaven is excellent, seasons in the abyss is another all time favourite and reign in blood is THE thrash metal album of all time ... i'd say slayer is pretty close. they didnt sell out, i think they are just worn out (creatively). divine intervention wasnt bad, but god hates us all, diabolous in musica and undissputed agression are all pretty average - also they do still put on fantastic shows ...

however, sabbath for me takes the cake. first six albums were brilliant. at the time they were revolutionary and have made metal what it is today. thats why, sabbath is > all!