Kings of Metal

Well, Venom could also be considered for "Kings of Metal" since they did something Slayer also did - creating a new Genre. Without Sabbath there would be no Metal. Without Maiden there would be no 'tallica, without Slayer there would be no Death Metal and without Venom there would be no Black Metal. o.o

Oh yeah, just found this here - it's from the Germany-Release of Reign in Blood..

The Sticker reads: "The WEA Music, New Medias and Electronic distributor Company has nothing to do with the lyrical aspects of this record" or so o_o;

The message behind it I mean: Slayer makes their Labelbosses pee itself o_O
ribpromo.jpg

Death. Chuck was a genious and past the first demo releases and SBG (1987) I concider every album they made a masterpiece. The only disturbing thing is that on Spiritual Healing, Human and Individual Thought Patterns the sound is horrible.... but the music rocks!
Death :headbang:

Black Sabbath, Slayer, Venom or Iron Maiden i guess, its hard really because it all depends on your personal tastes. Some people may think that Manowar are the kings of metal but others hate them so in their eyes, they wont be.....bah

Sabbath should be... without Sabbath, there would be no Metal, no Ozzy, no DIO, no Randy Rhoads, no Jackson RR-Guitars, no Children of Bodom, no Doom Metal, no Venom.... o_o Everything leads back to Sabbath, so... yes. I think Sabbath are the Kings of Metal. o_O

Well, yeah, Sabbath got the Metal ball rolling, so they are the Kings of Metal, BUT they've also released far too much garbage. Tyr, Born Again, Dehumanizer, Forbidden, etc. etc. are plain Bad, and the last 2 Ozzy-fronted ones were also pretty bad. I wonder if they'll every make another album and make it at least DECENT. I mean, if Dio and Ozzy can still make worthwhile material, then they should just get one of them and make a good album. The two new tracks on Reunion were pretty good anyway.

Aside from them, it'd be Maiden, because they have 4 mediocre albums, but 9 kickass albums. Besides, they do sort of evolve. The first two albums were similar but TNOTB, Piece of Mind and Powerslave were different from them, and SIT and SSOASS were different from theose too. BNW and DOD, though not as good, are still great albums and definately manage to IMPROVE, which is amazing for a band nearly in their third decade.

Other Candidates: Slayer, Motorhead, Emperor

It'd be a lot easier if it was "King of _____ Metal" by Genre or by Decade, but yeah.

The king of Metal is without a doubt Black Sabbath.

Sabbath were the innovators of the genre and did so much for Metal. They led the pathways to new types of Metal. They also made 2 of the heaviest albums of all time "Master Of Reality" and "Dehumanizer".

Judas Priest started Power Metal and were the biggest influence of the twin guitar attack in Metal. Their style progressed and they also led the pathways to new types of Metal.

Iron Maiden were the leaders of the 80's Heavy Metal movement and produce album after album of quality Metal. They have/are still inspiring so many and still make just as good Metal as ever.

Entombed are/have and always will be the leaders of the Swedish Metal scene. They were one of the innovators of the Swedish Death Metal sound and took it to new levels. Swedish Metal owes a lot to this band. Entombed were also very experimental and even started the Genre Death N Roll. They have also made a good variety of Metal from Same Difference-Morning Star.

Other bands to consider:

Carcass

Opeth

Death

Reactions: None_So_Vile
BLACK SABBATH! No question or doubts about it. Followed closely by Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

mk1_unknown.jpg

And yes, excellent post Profånity. Quite right with the details there.

It has to be Iron Maiden, 20+ years, still coming out with kick ass albums, and every melodic metal band seems to have a maiden influence somewhere.

UP THE IRONS!!!

Thus far, I've heard innumerable mentions of Ozzy, Sabbath, Maiden, Opeth, Slayer and fucking MANOWAR(kill me...), and yet only THREE mentions of Judas Priest. Surely they deserve more credit than that, considering that when Halford fronted them, they had absolutely NO BAD ALBUMS, and they've been around considerably longer than both Iron Maiden and Slayer.

Oh yes, and allow me to emphasize the following point with much enthusiasm: As great as Slayer WAS, if they are indeed the kings of metal, then I am undoubtedly the king of England, and this is 1314. Simple enough?

That's why Maiden are not the Kings of Metal. They are responsible for the abominable melo-death scene and all of its countless clones.

NOT IN ANY ORDER-
METALLICA-MASTER OF PUPPETS/THE BLACK ALBUM
BLACK SABATH-PARANOID/MASTER OF REALITY
EMPEROR-ANTHEMS TO THE WELKIN AT DUSK/PROMETHEUS
SLAYER-REIGN IN BLOOD/SEASONS IN THE ABYSS
IRON MAIDEN-NUMBER OF THE BEAST/POWERSLAVE
IMMORTAL-AT THE HEART OF WINTER/SONS OF NORTHERN DARKNESS :headbang:

Though i got in to Metal starting with Metallica (old ones), Undoubtedly it has to be Black Sabbath, Toni Iommi has the credit of composing all possible Riffs or Tunes, He got a Grammy for that (Finally he got one). I don remember the year , but i read it somewhere, Anyways for me Sabbath anyday !!!.

Other contenders will be Iron Maiden, Slayer and Sepultura (for Thrash).
Undoubtedly Death (for Death Metal). :headbang: