King's X: XV - album of the year?

TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

Halcyon Way Sufferer
Jan 7, 2002
Spent an enjoyable morning reading the DT bio (Lifting Shadows) and listening to the new King's X, Royal Hunt and the Hail of Bullets albums. But the King's X really hit home and was just perfect from start to finish. Not a bad track in the lot. Their best since Faith :OMG::kickass::OMG:

But the King's X really hit home and was just perfect from start to finish. Not a bad track in the lot. Their best since Faith

It's awesome when an album clicks! :headbang:

I think this is some solid work from the band, but it's not grabbing me the way it is you. And for beating out albums since Faith, IMHO, I don't think this album tops King's X, Dogman or Ear Candy.

Now back to praying for a August 21st tour date in New Mexico.

I was one of the world's biggest King's X fans from the release of their first album. I interviewed Jerry Gaskill back in 1990 and really enjoyed our chat. Over the years, I've seen them perform live six or seven times. I often described their music as being "so beautiful it hurts." Musically otherworldly. Lyrically brilliant. Harmonically angelic. A magical band.

However, nowadays, I have a hard time handling Dug's anti-Christian, anti-God, venomous, bitter attitude. It gives me the creeps.

I saw them a couple of years ago and was about to yell to Dug to shut the hell up and just play the music. His angry rant, no doubt fueled by the booze he guzzled on stage, had crossed the line into the embarrassment realm. Even Ty looked uncomfortable.

The band was better musically, lyrically, and emotionally back when they were at least pseudo Christians. Their music had a vibe that soothed my soul. Now, it jangles my nerves. I sometimes choke on the bitterness of the lyrics, as with "Pray," the first song off XV. Or the song "Move," further into the album. Okay, Dug. I get it. You're bitter. Cowboy up and move on, dude.

King's X are three of the most talented musicians I can think of. Unique in every sense of the word. Especially their harmonies. Wow. Beatle-esque, indeed. :)

But until Dug makes peace with himself and the world around him, I'm afraid King's X will never be to me what they were. In today's world, it's easy to be cynical, negative, bitter, angry, and "dark." Any band can do that -- and plenty make a tidy living at it, too. But I prefer that which uplifts me. I can only handle just so much of a guy spewing poisonous lyrics before I just walk away in disgust. And pity. (And that goes for Warrel Dane, too. Geez, can that guy be any more bitter about religion, and angry at the world?)

I'm listening to XV. And I'm liking what I hear. But the magical vibe is gone.

Album of the year? Hmmmm..... maybe not, but it is a really good album. But hey, I really liked Ogre Tones too. As far as Dug being cynical.....you try being a incredibly talented over-looked musician in a band that's been criminally ignored for 20+ years, and oh yeah.....you happen to be a gay(or at least I think he's gay......is he?) black man in a hypocritical "religious" country like the US. There's a chance that you might end up bitter too.
As Dug would say...."may the GROOVE be with you!"

Album of the year? Hmmmm..... maybe not, but it is a really good album. But hey, I really liked Ogre Tones too. As far as Dug being cynical.....you try being a incredibly talented over-looked musician in a band that's been criminally ignored for 20+ years, and oh yeah.....you happen to be a gay(or at least I think he's gay......is he?)

Yes.

...black man in a hypocritical "religious" country like the US. There's a chance that you might end up bitter too.
As Dug would say...."may the GROOVE be with you!"

As I understand it, he's bitter because the same religious fans who embraced King's X back in the day for their spiritual messages have now largely turned their backs on the band (or at least, on Doug) after he "came out." In some cases, they've been pretty brutal about it.

I can certainly understand why he'd be bitter but......yeah. Enough; move on.

this is probably gonna make my top 10 of 2008. I've been enjoying this album very much (I'm actually listening to it as I type this) and it keeps sounding better and better with each listen. Can't wait to finally see King's X on 8/2/08 in Baltimore :headbang:

this is probably gonna make my top 10 of 2008. I've been enjoying this album very much (I'm actually listening to it as I type this) and it keeps sounding better and better with each listen. Can't wait to finally see King's X on 8/2/08 in Baltimore :headbang:

I admit, this album has grown on me. It's very well done, impeccable as always. King's X is an amazing band.

I don't know if it'll make my Top 10 of 2008 list, but it's working its way up the charts. I'll keep listening.

I haven't seen King's X in 4-5 years. I think I'll pop into their August 8 gig with Extreme in Detroit.

Humm...... I just can't get into them. Del Vecc made a CD for me hoping to change my mind, but I just can't get into them for some reason.

I'm really liking this album. The last King's X album I purchased was the Bulbous one.. I absolutely hated it. I didn't think it had that heavy groove that I've come to love fro this band.

Found out there was an album prior to this one called Ogre Tones. Anyone heard this one? If it's like Bulbous at all, I'll pass and stick to the rest of them.

thanks for the tip guys, I am a huge Kings X fan, didn't get into their recent stuff as much as their first five albums, but if people are digging this one, I'm there! I didn't intellectualize it or probably give it enough listens to find the bitterness that Bill was talking about before on the albums that I wasn't digging.
But for me, I agree, the magic wasn't there like it was before. I just didn't feel it when I listed to Ogre Tones at all. But for this band...I will always give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't care if Doug is Gay, he's one of the most talented men in this genre (as is the rest of the band) and I will always admire his ability and passion for music. But I can understand why he may be bitter.

Isn't heavy metal mostly about being bitter and angry at the world anyhow?

Well maybe not overly distorted jesus rock...

I'm really liking this album. The last King's X album I purchased was the Bulbous one.. I absolutely hated it. I didn't think it had that heavy groove that I've come to love fro this band.

Found out there was an album prior to this one called Ogre Tones. Anyone heard this one? If it's like Bulbous at all, I'll pass and stick to the rest of them.

I totally agree that Mr. Bulbous sucked!:lol::lol::heh::puke: I saw them play live on that tour and the MB stuff still stunk when played live. I've liked their more recent stuff quite a bit, although their first 5 CDs are clearly their best work ever!

I never liked Kings X but based on that, now I'm interested to give them a listen again :)

Please don't get me wrong. On record, Doug (Dug?) doesn't come across as angry as he does in concert. Or did, when I saw them 3-4 years ago.

I sometimes read into King's X lyrics now what I experienced at their concert then. So even a song like "Pray" off their new CD takes on a more sinister tone than it should.

As Lance mentioned, I tend to "intellectualize" things.

Musically, their new album is a return to the King's X of old. There aren't as many ripping Ty solos as I'd like to hear. But they're in fine vocal form and the songs are solid.

I don't like bands who politicize or make angry speeches from the stage. King's X didn't do that when they were Christians. So I don't want them to do it when they're not. If Doug can just play -- and, man, that guy can play and sing! -- and not try to convert the audience to his dark side, then I'll be a fan once again. They're playing in Detroit this summer. I'll attend and see what they're like.

For my money, the first 2-3 King's X albums are some of the best I've ever heard in my life. Absolute genius. Total originality.

Their latest isn't as good, but it's leagues better than most everything else out there.

Bill