Kirk Hammet says ...

Countdown > Black Album
Youthanasia > Load
Cryptic Writings > Reload
Risk > St Anger

these are all totally inconsequential imo, fuck em all

i would also say that kill em all and killing is my business are too close to call. rust in peace shits all over most of metallica's catalog though. it's a toss up really.

Kill'em All has far too many classics for it to be < than KIM BABIG

and now Trujillo says:

Rock Hard Greece: Can you tell us if the two new songs (Song#1, Song#2) that you played on the last tour will be included on the upcoming album?

Trujillo: "I don't think so. There are parts from one of the songs that may be in the album, but that depends on which songs will be finally on the album. We can't be sure, not until we sit down and listen to all the songs completed, to make sure that each and every one of them sounds perfect. But I can tell you that these two specific songs that you've heard won't make it, at least not in that form.

Rock Hard Greece: Could you describe the new album's sound? Lars Ulrich, just before the release of "St. Anger", had &#8212; very accurately &#8212; described it as raw, ugly and unpolished. Can you come up some adjectives for the new album?

Trujillo: "I would say that this is album is dynamic, heavy, groovin' and you'll probably be excited to know that there will be guitar solos on it! In addition, Lars remembered to tune his snare drum properly this time! For me, this album incorporates part of the dynamic and character of 'Master of Puppets', as well as the melodic style that people liked in the 'black album,' as far as the melodies are concerned. As for the general music style, much of the current material is groovy, heavy, dynamic and surely interesting. I would say that it's different than 'St. Anger' &#8212; in a good way, of course."

ahah "In addition, Lars remembered to tune his snare drum properly this time!"

So he recorded an entire album, got it printed and released then thought: "SHIT I FORGOT TO TUNE MY SNARE DRUM!"

Even for the earlier stuff, one thing to consider is that Metallica's music has gone way past it's sell by date. Megadeth albums still stand strong, even to this day.

This of course doesn't apply to anyone who's been listening to metal for the last 5 minutes.

I started with Metallica in 86 and probably hung up my hat in 98. Call it 12 years then.

Started with Megadeth at the same time, still going strong. Over 20 years of shelf life, and counting.

Metallica's music has gone way past it's sell by date.

Strongly disagree. The only Megadeth album I prefer over a Metallica album is RIP/AJFA. And I'm nearing your shelf life point for Metallica, so I'll let you know a year from now.

I'm not sure you can do a comparison based on number of releases. I mean, Mustaine helped write the majority of Kill 'Em All. I never even consider that in comparison. For me, the comparison starts with Ride the Lighting and Killing Is My Business, even if the one is the second release by Metallica and the other the debut by Megadeth. And I may be alone in this, but I think Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? owns Master of Puppets. That said, Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning will always stand above Megadeth's best work.

And now we resume our normal Mercyful Fate listening spree.

Even for the earlier stuff, one thing to consider is that Metallica's music has gone way past it's sell by date. Megadeth albums still stand strong, even to this day.

This of course doesn't apply to anyone who's been listening to metal for the last 5 minutes.

I started with Metallica in 86 and probably hung up my hat in 98. Call it 12 years then.

Started with Megadeth at the same time, still going strong. Over 20 years of shelf life, and counting.

No deal, Metallicas first four are and will always be godly and essential, RtL more than the others I think. I got that one at 10 or 11 I think and I'm 21 now so ten years and counting, and nowhere near done.

Aside from maybe The Conjuring, Devil's Island, and Good Mourning/Black Friday, I don't find Peace Sells to be all that great. Master Of Puppets is a lot stronger, and on my last revisit to the album, I've even discovered a newfound appreciation for the Lovecraftian The Thing That Should Not Be and the Limp Bizkit-covered Sanitarium...two songs I was never terribly fond of. They're still my least favorite tracks, but I enjoy them. And then there are complete ass kickers like the bookmarks Battery and Damage Inc., and Disposable Heroes and Leper Messiah, not to mention the title track, are excellent as well, as is the not-quite-as-good-as-the-previous-instrumental Orion. Also, I just listened to Peace Sells yesterday and I had to struggle to remember song titles. The Metallica titles came to me readily. Maybe that doesn't say much, but it's something. :loco:

I started with Metallica when RTL was released (84 I think?). There was a local radio station that played Fight Fire With Fire on their late-night metalshop (Friday nights ruled!!! Friday Night Videos and the metalshop!!!). It was some feature where they played new blood. I was utterly terrified and completely blown away all at once. The following week they played Fight Fire With Fire backed by Trapped Under Ice. That was the end of life as I knew it. Prior to that it was Kiss, Motley Crue, and the like. About two weeks later I heard Metal Church...I was becoming a young thrasher. :headbang:

Anyway, it might have something to do with the nostalgia of it all and the magic of that period, but RTL and MoP still rule for me every time I listen to them. They also destroy all Megadeth contenders. Early Megadeth kicks ass, but I was always a Metallica guy.

The funny thing is, as good as Metallica once was when they were on top of the world, along came Megadeth with Rust in Peace and everybody just dropped everything in total and utter awe.

I remember it so clearly, everyone was still reeling from that natural high of when MoP came out, just after Powerslave too mind you, and there was that buzz in the air....

...but then Metallica released Justice, and for sure it kept people going, but then Megadeth just ripped everything to shreds with RiP. My god, I remember people just crowding around the dorm room TVs during headbangers ball waiting for the "Holy Wars" video. That was the first single.

And then the album came out and it was just devastating. For a while, people used to think Kirk Hammet was a good lead player, but then Mustaine found Marty Friedman and it was like "mr. wah wah" vs. Beethoven. :loco:

Good times.

I really am starting to believe that Megadeth had a bigger following in Europe than in the US ... I mean they were selling but I never knew ANYONE that was soooo into Megadeth that they claimed they owend Metallica ... especially in the 80's.

Funny thing with Megadeth is that I appreciate them more nowadays than back then ... to me they were bunched in with Overkill and the like. Even Anthrax was bigger in the US (or maybe just NY) at the time