Kirk says 'Big Four' tour won't happen

manu_8

what doesn't die hard 4.0
Apr 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
Shaffee and El Jefe of the WKLS Project 9-6-1 96.1 FM radio station conducted an interview with METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett prior to the band's October 4, 2009 concert at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. Watch the chat in two parts below.

When asked about the rumors that METALLICA was assembling a tour that would feature the "Big Four" of the 1980s underground thrash metal scene — itself, SLAYER, MEGADETH and ANTHRAX — Kirk replied, "That tour is not gonna happen. I've been hearing that, we've all been hearing that for awhile. I get asked [about] it regularly. And as far as a tour going on, it's not gonna happen. Conflicting schedules, conflicting personalities, [a lot of] conflicting things. It's a good idea, though. And personally, I can see the significance of playing a tour like that, but... it's not gonna happen." :cry::cry:

In a September 29, 2009 interview with Cindy Scull of the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas radio station 97.1 The Eagle Rocks, METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich stated about the "Big Four" tour rumors, "As far as I know, we haven't talked to anybody about it; we've talked about it amongst ourselves. And, obviously, because you get sort of caught up in the rumor of the whole thing, so I get asked about it four times a day in interviews.

"It certainly could be fun, if everybody would be up for it; certainly we would be up for it. But it's not something that's imminent; it's not something that's being discussed for January. Everybody's got their own schedules and everybody's doing their thing, but at some point, of course, in the right situation, I think it could be super-fun.

"Listen, the guys in METALLICA certainly are all about nostalgia, all about lineage, all about making the fans understand how things, sort of, came to be, and connect the dots and all that type of stuff, so I would definitely be up for that. But I haven't made any phone calls yet. [Laughs] But we'll see what happens. I'm sure it definitely could happen one day."

METALLICA guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield also commented on the "Big Four" tour rumors in a September 28, 2009 interview with Cindy Scull. "Sounds like a good idea, huh?" he said. "Well, it's really up to everybody [to make it happen]. We don't know. It's one of these nostalgic ideas that pops up. . . We don't know; we haven't really taken it any steps further. . . You know what?! Music transcends all kinds of B.S., so if it's something that feels right, then hopefully it could happen."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=128782

Just imagine trying to decide who plays last, who plays first... egos would hit the proverbial fan... oh wait, Anthrax right now is definitely the opening act :zombie:

The only way that this tour will happen is if you lock Lars, James, Dave & Kerry (he's in there just to add some fun... HEHEHE) in a room to get their shit straight finally.
Going by the old feud between Tom Araya & Dave from the 1990 Clash of the titans tour, I would throw Tom in that room too :lol:

I think the problem here are Metallica and Slayer, I think Dave Mustaine wouldn't mind supporting Anthrax...

I think the problem here are Metallica and Slayer, I think Dave Mustaine wouldn't mind supporting Anthrax...

I think almost every single person involved thinks it could be a cool idea. Megadeth and Slayer could get along, Anthrax would get along with pretty much everyone, it's just a matter of Megadeth and Metallica getting along. I think they could get along well enough to do the tour if both parties involved wanted to. But at the same time, I can understand why Kirk is the one person who seems to not want it to happen - Mustaine has badmouthed him for many years, and I've never once really seen Kirk say anything bad about Mustaine.

... and Overkill! Eh...4? ... Let´s call it BIG 5. Dump Metallica and put Testament and Overkill in!

Ohw please. We all know Tallica made some crappy stuff after Justice but same could be said about Overkill (after Horrorscope they really went downhill) and Testament (The Ritual was already weak and it got pretty worse from there). If we're talking old thrashers that can still pull it off, you'd better add Kreator.
Anyway, I'd alway prefer Kreator over Megadeth for that matter

Ohw please. We all know Tallica made some crappy stuff after Justice but same could be said about Overkill (after Horrorscope they really went downhill) and Testament (The Ritual was already weak and it got pretty worse from there). If we're talking old thrashers that can still pull it off, you'd better add Kreator.
Anyway, I'd alway prefer Kreator over Megadeth for that matter

I do not know every Testament record of the nineties, I must confess, but nothing could be as crappy as St. Anger. Anyway, it´s a matter of taste, but big 5 with Testament and Overkill would be a lot cheaper as "Big Four" and to me far more interesting.

@egdeofthonrs: agreed, they should do WACKEN as BIG 8 with Anthrax, Overkill, Testament, Megadeth, Slayer, Kreator, Destruction and Metallica. I will be there...

Metallica would tour with ANYONE. Why? Because they call the shots.
On a Big Four tour, Metallica clearly, by miles, headline. So they get the biggest stage, the loudest gear.

Now you tell me Anthrax, Megadave or Slayer will blow Metallica off the stage when they're only allowed to use half of it, at a fraction of the volume Metallica will use.
For this exact reason I can see why Lars and James would think this is a good idea. It's a total ego-feeding thing and makes me think it probably WILL happen! Lars lording it over Slayer and Dave Mustaine? He'd fucking love it.

So, I'm excited. I think there's a good chance this will happen - assuming the other three bands can handle playing second or third fiddle to a shitty band like Metallica have been since 1990.

Half wrong at least

Hopefully this will turn into an actual tour!
It's time for them to put aside differences and wear their hearts on their sleeves for us - we have been waiting too long! ^_^