__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Korn – See You On The Other Side
Virgin/EMI – 2005
By Russell Garwood

Krn.jpg

I’ll start this off by saying that, unlike James I’ve never been a huge Korn fan. Their first album was listenable, but I rapidly lost both interest, and the ability to look at a dog-collar without giggling, as they forged their way through the land of teen angst and South Park episodes that is nu-metal. The band have never been the happiest bunnies... In fact, they’ve always been about as miserable as a bulimic in a pie-eating contest, and nothing has changed this time round. New album See You On The Otherside sees more moping, with a slightly reinvigorated, highly polished sound courtesy of producer The Matrix. Simple guitars are nevertheless catchy, melodic, and everything you’d expect from the band – clearly the loss of Brian Welch to Jebus has had little effect on the song-writing on display here. The drums are straight-forward, bass prominent but nothing special, and vocals very similar to previous Korn releases, although Jonathan Davis does seem to be trying extra-specially hard on this release. The obligatory bagpipes are entertaining as ever, and electronics crop up every now and then, adding a contemporary feel.

So, there you go, this was virtually everything I expected. The band can write a catchy track, and seemingly have done so, and then stretched this one song to a full length album. By half way through See You On The Otherside you’ve got the formula pinned down, and everything starts to get boring. Occasional subtle differences help alleviate such feelings, and it’s clear that the band are trying to do something a little different from their previous works, yet this noble aim is ultimately absorbed into a stream of samey, formulaic tracks. Polished production fits the pop sensibilities, and the presentation is of a very high standard, with pop-out scary little boys, clear slipcases, and cool artwork. There is also a bonus disc with three songs not featured on the album, a couple of remixes and two videos. So for fans of the band, this is worth a look in. For the more elitist factions of our readership (from whom I’m expecting a long list of “Why is this on here??? They’re not even metal” comments, as they won’t have read down this far) it’s not going to do anything to change your views.

5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Korn website

korn used to be kewl... I eman...their first 2 albums rocked... but then...from metal they started doing alternative crap and this new album, is really uncool

I've never really been a Korn fan in the past, though I thought The Untouchables was kind of an honorable effort... but I really enjoy this album. It's catchy and definitely unique, they don't sound quite like any other band. And there are many songs that are simply really fun to listen to (especially the three tracks Love Song, Open Up and Coming Undone). I respect this album.

"For the more elitist factions of our readership (from whom I’m expecting a long list of “Why is this on here??? They’re not even metal” comments, as they won’t have read down this far) it’s not going to do anything to change your views."

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Like it or not. nu-metal is actually a subgenre of metal, albeit a really bad one.

Agreed. I have always found it kind of galling when people are so insecure about their own musical taste that as soon as a related genre becomes popular they divorce it completely from its roots.