Kral leaves Mercenary

From the official statement on the website:

"The split has in no way affected the recording of the new album since the rest of the band have been working on the new material during the last couple of months in Kral’s absence. All vocals (including shouts and screams) on the upcoming album will be done by Mikkel who is also responsible for lyrics this time. Furthermore the split will not affect the upcoming touring schedule in any way."

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
"The split has in no way affected the recording of the new album since the rest of the band have been working on the new material during the last couple of months in Kral’s absence. All vocals (including shouts and screams) on the upcoming album will be done by Mikkel who is also responsible for lyrics this time. Furthermore the split will not affect the upcoming touring schedule in any way."
Thanks.

Zod

Glad to know that this will not affect their pp show. i love this band and am disappointed to see him leave. i loved his voice and his growls and will be eager to see who his replacement will be. I wish him best of luck.

this is extremely unfortunate...
How could the "lyrical mastermind" of the band just...leave?
Well, for whatever his reasons I do wish him luck in his future plans.
Hopefully they can find a good, serious replacement for Kral.

Maybe they will attempt to do a tour without the cookie monster vox?

Or did Kral and Mikkel both do cookie? Forgive me if that is an ignorant statement because I am not a Mercenary fanboy--I have yet to pull out the albums I bought when they were here last.

Greykiller said:
Maybe they will attempt to do a tour without the cookie monster vox?

Or did Kral and Mikkel both do cookie? Forgive me if that is an ignorant statement because I am not a Mercenary fanboy--I have yet to pull out the albums I bought when they were here last.

I believe Kral did the lower register and death/cookie-monster vocals while Mikkel handled the clean singing and upper register stuff (please correct me if I'm wrong or in any way incorrect).

I think this means Mercenary's gonna keep going for a while and change thier sound alot, because all I can see right now is a bunch of assholes on Blabbermouth posting comments 10 years from now saying "Nothing like Kral era Mercenary, fuck em now!!!!111!!!omgomg"

Mikkel's one of my favorite singers so I have no doubt in the next records kick assness:headbang:

Man, am I the only one here that will not miss that growling nonsense? I mean, that is the only aspect of MERCENARY that was keeping them from becoming an elite band. The main vocalist is far better and much more accessible, IMO.

steelreign said:
Man, am I the only one here that will not miss that growling nonsense? I mean, that is the only aspect of MERCENARY that was keeping them from becoming an elite band. The main vocalist is far better and much more accessible, IMO.

They're not getting rid of the growling as far as I can tell. Maybe will have less of it in future albums but otherwise I don't think they'd be looking for a bass player/shouter/screamer. And Mikkel is doing all the screaming / growling on the album they're working on for now.

MERCENARY Name New Bassist; Set Release Date, Tracklisting For The Hours That Remain
2006-05-23 13:20:26

Denmark’s MERCENARY, having just wrapped up mixing their August 22nd Century Media Records release, The Hours That Remain, with producer Jacob Hansen (MAROON, HATESPHERE), who worked with the band on their 11 Dreams album.

The Hours That Remain will feature the following tracklisting: 'Redefine Me', 'Year Of The Plague', 'My World Is Ending', 'This Eternal Instant', 'Lost Reality', 'Soul Decision', 'Simplicity Demand', 'Obscure Indiscretion', 'My Secret Window', 'The Hours That Remain'.

Clocking in at just over one hour, vocalist Mikkel Sandager comments on the album, “We made what we feel is the most powerful album in the band’s history. Both the writing and the recording processes have really made us a stronger band as we faced quite a few challenges along the way. We can’t wait for people to check out the new stuff, and look forward to playing it all live.”

The Hours That Remain will be packaged with artwork by Travis Smith (NEVERMORE, OPETH).

Additionally, Mercenary have welcomed bass player René Pedersen, an active performer from Denmark’s TRANSPARENT, as their new bass player. Pedersen’s live debut will be this weekend at The Sägfestival in Greding, Germany.

Speaking for the band, Sandager said, “We are confident that René fits the bill perfectly, both as a musician and as a person. We have been rehearsing with him through the last month, and he is really kicking ass!”

(source: http://www.bravewords.com/news/45090)

rottingflesh said:
Now that just sucks..what is up with all of the member leaving in bands... :(

I think it comes down to a few factors:

1) Normal people leave their jobs often. Same with musicians.

2) Playing metal doesn't always equal a sustainable career.

3) Musical tastes change. Metal is ever-evolving, and bandmates can't always decide on a style of music or where they want the band to go.

4) Drugs and Alcohol.

5) Starting families.

6) Illnesses/injuries.

I'd say that most of the metal bands that we love have gone through various lineup changes. It just happens, and its the responsibility of the people who join the band to get caught up with the discography so that the fans are not shorted.