Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
KRISIUN – WORKS OF CARNAGE
Century Media - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

capa_works.jpg

Krisiun’s last album Ageless Venomous initially was a strong death metal release but after passing the test of time it was an album that I rarely played. The thin production that I was able to bear somewhat became totally annoying and became the biggest reason for not listening to that album.

Thankfully that problem was cured since Works of Carnage was produced by Pierre Remillard (of Cryptopsy fame) so at least this album sounds 100% better than its predecessor. However, the music is still the problem with Krisiun. Yes they make an immediate and positive impact during the first listens but its after you begin to digest the album more and examine it closer that it really becomes apparent how repetitive and uneventful Krisiun’s music can be.

Works of Carnage is vintage Krisiun, a band that goes all out with speed, aggression and intensity. It is also a band that does not stray from a formula and songs are undistinguishable. Max’s blast beating drums always seem to be at the same frantic speed, Alex’s vocals also do not vary and his bass is almost inaudible and Moyses’s guitars are ferocious and generally great but I can not seem to remember one riff or lead that stand outs, they all seem to blend together. That leads to the biggest problem with Works of Carnage, the inability to distinguish one song from the other.

But this is the way that Krisiun has always played and by now we know what to expect from them. So either you like it or you don’t.

Century Media Website
Krisiun Official Website

Yer I see what you mean. I've got Ageless Venomous too and there is no stand out pieces in any of the tracks. I guess this albulm doesn't differ from their last too much. If they could just add catchy choruses to their songs it would make them 10x times better.

I disagree. Though Krisiun's previous albums do have a tendancy to be repetitive, I think Works of Carnage is quite different. Instead of straight blasts the whole way through, WOC has that lil' blast-break-blast formula which works out well. The leads here stand out more than they ever have as well (BTW, saw Krisiun live awhile ago w/ Deicide, Moyses is fuckin awesome!!!). And as far as the vocals never varying, they never will because that's the way Krisiun likes it. Anyhoo, I think WOC is a great album but I'm a fan so I suppose I probably would've liked it anyway.