Lacuna Coil - Enjoy the Silence

Lacuna Coil - Enjoy the Silence
Century Media - CM8359-3 - 26th June 2006
By Paul Raw Nerve

lacuna.jpg

I've got to admit I was fairly dubious when I saw that Lacuna Coil had done a cover of Depeche Mode's smasher 'Enjoy the silence'. Not that I am particularly a massive fan of the song (although it is undoubtedly a classic), moreso that it seems a shame that a band who are genuinely strong song writers resort to a cover which is obviously aimed at getting them shot into superstardom regardless of what they've done before.

I will also admit, it is a decent rendition of the song, but it definitely doesn't do any justice to this band whatsoever or to Christina's amazing angelic voice, which sounds spot on as ever, but as if it is just going through the motions of a regular pop diva here. Maybe in the context of an album or in the live scenario, this would work better, but on its own, to me anyway, it just puts me off Lacuna Coil, who I don't think are as good as they used to be, especially not since the man Andrea has become a more prominent voice in the band.

Having said that, Lacuna Coil is blatantly going to be one of the year's biggest names.
*Please note, I just got the one track promo, there are various versions with live tracks, videos, posters etc. available.

5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Lacuna Coil Website
Official Century Media Website