Lamb Of God - Sacrament

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Lamb Of God - Sacrament
Epic Records - August 22nd, 2006
By Brandon Strader

LambOfGod-Sacrament.gif

Lamb of God is another band that has become so large that they've basically collapsed in on themself like a neutron star. As The Palaces Burn was an incredible album that basically marked the peak and best material of the band. Ashes Of The Wake had catchier songs with slightly better production and annoying liberal political lyrics laced throughout the album concept. If the fanbase wasn't too divided for Ashes Of The Wake, they definitely will be for Sacrament. There will always be those devoutly faithful to the band, of course, every band has the luxury of such fans... The album starts of well enough with "Walk With Me In Hell" with its swirl of notes in the opening lead with an echo on the guitar. It almost plays like an orchestration with the guitars and keyboards weaving in and out of major and minor chords. Finally the growls break in and it sounds like Blythe is actually growling in key for certain lines, which is pretty cool. The verse is heavy as heck, and the chorus is bombastic and great. Lamb of God put a few hardcore breakdowns into the song and put a guitar lead and some vocals on top and hope nobody will notice! I kid, the breakdowns are harsh and I assume would really punish the audience in a live setting.

The production is really good, the performances are very tight, and even the vocals have gone up a notch in skill from their previous efforts. The songwriting is definitely evolving, and the band doesn't have that raw charm they had on As The Palaces Burn, but the new direction is pretty fresh and a bit catchier, which may be why some fans are dissapointed. Blythe's war cries on "Again We Rise" are about as brutal as they come, and it's really cool to notice that he still has the same vocal style and tone as he did on previous records, yet is experimenting more with his voice. We redneck folks are somewhat satisfied with the tribute to us entitled "Redneck" featured on this album. It's not something I would really want to see played live at my birthday party, but it is a good song nonetheless. Blythe does a kind of heavy metal vocal style for the verses on this song, which is a really cool new dynamic the band is playing on. The major unfortunate factor behind the whole album is that they are really building off of the one low powerchord too often for the majority of their verses. Sometimes they'll break out into an actual powerchord progression but a lot of the time it's just plain low powerchord tremolos sometimes with a faster guitar lead or solo above it.

The mix and mastering job is fantastic, and the overall sound quality is really good, but the songwriting is nowhere near as good as As The Palaces Burn. On that album you could hear a song once and immediately tell that it was a hit, and it stuck in your head for a long time. The songs on Sacrament really seem way too similar, and there is not enough diversity throughout the album to really make it anything exceptionally good. It's great that they've converted who knows how many people into metalheads by releasing such popular albums in the past with good promotion and advertising, but at this point they really aren't pushing the envelope at all, and really stand as more of a "gateway drug" into metal than something unique.

6.3/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Lamb of God Website
Official Epic Records Website

Took me a while to get used to this album but I like it. If extreme metal needs "gateway" bands for fans to get into, I can't think of too many better than Lamb of God. They've picked up the torch from Pantera in that department.

I agree with this review 100%, but I probably would've given it a 6.5 ;)

It disappointed me. There are some good songs. But as a whole release - nothing special at all. Some new points were added to the sound - like the new style of Randy's vocals and stuff. But still - something is missing... Sacrament is pure shit, comparing to previous Lamb Of God albums.

I enjoy Randy's vocals in Sacrament. I also like them in all previous albums (LoG & BTP). But Sacrament did it for me. I guess this album is more "mainstream" for lack of a better word (Redneck video). More people can understand his growling now.
Overall, i was impressed with it, and have recomended it to friends. They also enjoyed it.

8/10

I dont know i enjoyed the albulm quite a bit not as much as the others but look what they had to improve from "Ashes Of The Wake" Terrific CD and theyll probally never do anyhting that great again but Sacrement had a lot of strong points and proved Randys talent as a vocalist

I have to agree with whoever posted the "gateway" band comment as well. They're not really heavy enough to destroy your ears, but not soft enough to fall into the heavier rock genres.

And, as far as the album is concerned, I didn't like it. It was wayyyy too repetitive. It is NOTHING compared to As The Palaces Burn or Ashes of the Wake.

i liked this album, they kinda did something different with their songs and rhythm as apposed to their usual double-time intro to half-time groovy verse. Randy really shines, and its like the first album they did some shredding on.

I really dislike the "hardcore" element this band carries.

Other than that I think they are a big O.K

I just don't see anything special about them.

I enjoyed this album, but I think the lyrics are 'satisfactory' and Randy Blythe could go back and correct this flaw. The riffs are creative, LoG has an awesome drummer and they have proven this throughout this particular album, however their main concern is the current genre: they have potential and maybe other musical genres should be put to practice rather than a Metalcore/Thrash metal combination. I find it hard to compare Sacrament with Ashes of the wake, because I see them equally as good, however their quality aspects are different with each. I could rest with a combination of the two, overall I'd give Sacrament a 7.5. Listen to this album!

I liked it a lot. I still think the band is a bit to noisy for metal-virgins to get into harsher bands but still, catchy as hell. I give it a solid 8.

I wasn't a metal virgin but I only listened to powermetal until I started listening to bodom, then to lamb of god, then I started listening to opeth, now I listen to straight up death and black metal only pretty much

At first i was surprised and confused by the new sound when the single "Redneck" came out but after a while i learned to love the new vocal work and ranges. Randy Blythe is one of metals most hardworking men. I don't agree with this review, personally i'd give it atleast an 8.5

i loved the new album...it did take a little bit of getting use to just cause it really did change from the old one...the vocals are so much better, and the lyrics are awesome...i wouldnt call this one, one of the best, but it beats out ashes of the wake, souly on the "annoying liberal political lyrics laced throughout the album"...i didn't think it was going to b good at all based on what they let out...like redneck, i hated that song, but the album turned out to b good...way to go guys i give it prolly 7.5