Lana Lane new album review.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Ayreon introduced me to this singer. I was (still am) in my female fronted rock/metal search and Lana Lane delivered nicely for me. "Secrets Of Astrology" and "Queen Of The Ocean" dis it for me for a time, since her others albums were impossible to find.
After moving to US I found that her record label Think Tank Media carried her Japanese versions at domestic price, so I rapidly get the rest of her stuff (plus more Ayreon too). Her website still carries her albums and the S&H is free inside US.

Now being a longtime fan of her, I finally faced a new album. I was a little apprehensive since the last ones were pretty weak and mostly compilations and/or cover albums. "Project Shangri La" didn't grab me as much as her previous material, and the last one (live), was good but not enough to satisfy my hunger so..."Lady Macbeth" came to feed me.

‘The Dream That Never Ends’: starts acoustically leading to Lana soft and melodic voice, then a break and a bass takes over leading to fast drumming. The song changes to prog/power much in the vein of ‘Evolution Revolution’. By 2:24 the words Lady Macbeth have already got me into the album, the guitar solo is really neat and old school. I have always like Lana’s band guitar work and here’s no exception.

‘Someone To Believe’: very classic mid-tempo Lana song. Great guitar work, the keyboards are present but not obnoxiously, the vocals flawless.

‘Out Time Now’: a typical soft ballad type song by Lana, her vocals feels the speakers magically a lot like ‘Two Can Play That Game’. Guitars again predominate in their well crafted work.

‘Summon The Devil’: great change in mood, a neat chorus starts a crunchier song, a true rocker with a lot of 70’s spirit in it. By the wrecking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes, I’m a sucker for a song with that line and hits me like a ton of bricks. One of Lana best songs in a long time, the one that worth the price of the album.

‘No Tomorrow’: another mid-tempo, soft but not ballad exactly song. Reminds me of some of the songs in “Secrets Of Astrology”, not utterly interesting but not bad either.

‘Shine On Golden Sun’: also mid-tempo but heavier. A kind of balalaika intertwines with the guitar sound and Lana’s vocals nicely. Again the guitar gives a feeling of good 70’s rock, the solos worth a lot IMO.

‘The Vision’: instrumental. Mostly guitar based, for those who love good guitars out there this one is a jewel.

‘Keeper Of The Flame’: back to square one. Another fast song, nice double bass leads this one, passion in the vocals add to the atmosphere. The guitar break into the solo makes me stop to fully absorbs it, then develops with a Hammond organ into a fantastic instrumental section, just to return to the fast chorus. Another winner on the album.

‘We Had The World’: more mid-tempo and softness. Lana knows how to balance emotion and restrain in this album. This ballad reminds me of her work in ‘Ocean Of Tears’ (“Once And Future King, part 2”, recommended album as well), in which the song is sweat even if the events depicted are tormented for the characters.

‘Dunsinane Walls’: starts exactly as the first song (closing the circle), almost like revisiting it. Unlike the beginning it doesn’t turn into a fats one, just keeps sadden to the end, like an epitaph.

Highly recommended to fans of Lana as for those looking for rock (not necesarilly metal) with well crafted melodies and good guitar work.

I want this sooo bad. Supposedly I can order the japanese version from Amazon later this week...for $33 plus shipping. Ack! Or I can wait until the 25th when nehrecords.com will get it for a more reasonable price.

Can I wait? Or will I cave and buy the japanese version?

I'm a little leery of ordering from cheesy-looking websites like that, even if it is the label. They obviously don't have alot of money in their website budget. I'd prefer to wait until someone I know and trust has it in stock. I'm watching The End almost daily. nehrecords will have it in stock on the 25th. Gotta say though, I think I'd rather risk buying it from the label than pay $33 for the japanese version.

No you probably misread they state that the Japanese version is identical to the worldwide one, so you'll pay $33 and no bonus tracks. Wait for The End if you don't like Think Tank media, but I must testify that I bought from there several time in the past (while being in US) without a single problem.