landscapes from your country

Interesting
i was really impressed by the wind, the guy nearly couldn't walk against it. is it really so windy there or only in some regions?
Well sometimes it can be really windy, but it depends on regional landscapes aswell. If you'e in an open space in the highlands, it can be very windy and sometimes the wind can be stronger due to the effects mountains have.

"if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes and it will be worse"

I heard that about the faroese weather. It changes even more but not as dramatically as in Iceland.

Djöfull;9352676 said:
Interesting

Well sometimes it can be really windy, but it depends on regional landscapes aswell. If you'e in an open space in the highlands, it can be very windy and sometimes the wind can be stronger due to the effects mountains have.

I heard that about the faroese weather. It changes even more but not as dramatically as in Iceland.

i'm really curious about life in iceland. it's really impressive to know that icelanders are only 300.000. it's impressive if i think that my city, which is pretty small for italian standards, has 60.000 inhabitants.
and iceland is about 100.000 km while italy is 300.000 km and we have about 60 milions of inhabitants! the numbers speak for themselves.
i know that a big part of iceland is uninhabited and the major part of people lives in reykjavik, but my question is: is it life expensive? are houses expensive? you must have a lot of space where to build new houses. how is it reykjavik, i mean is the density of inhabitants high or not? do you generally live in houses or apartments?
yeah i know, i'm a question-generator!!! :lol:
i'm really fascinated by the fact that you use geothermic energy for your needs, i mean, it's a wise decision toward nature, but sometimes it happens that people doesn't care about his own resources, and doesn't care about nature and climate, but cares about money and prefers to use more polluting energies.

i'm really curious about life in iceland. it's really impressive to know that icelanders are only 300.000. it's impressive if i think that my city, which is pretty small for italian standards, has 60.000 inhabitants.
and iceland is about 100.000 km while italy is 300.000 km and we have about 60 milions of inhabitants! the numbers speak for themselves.
i know that a big part of iceland is uninhabited and the major part of people lives in reykjavik, but my question is: is it life expensive? are houses expensive? you must have a lot of space where to build new houses. how is it reykjavik, i mean is the density of inhabitants high or not? do you generally live in houses or apartments?
yeah i know, i'm a question-generator!!! :lol:
i'm really fascinated by the fact that you use geothermic energy for your needs, i mean, it's a wise decision toward nature, but sometimes it happens that people doesn't care about his own resources, and doesn't care about nature and climate, but cares about money and prefers to use more polluting energies.

Interesting questions! Still, most can be answered by Wikipedia :p :

Population
- 1 July 2010 estimate 318,006[c] (175th) [pretty accurate haha]
- Density 3.1/km2 (232nd)
7.5/sq mi

Reykjavik:
Population (October 1, 2008)
- City 120,165
- Density 436.5/km2 (1,130.5/sq mi)
- Metro 201,847
- Metro density 259.4/km2 (671.8/sq mi)

But Iceland still depends a lot on petrol, they were very kaputt in the previous crisis. However, I think Iceland is pretty environmental friendly, perhaps the most of all Scandinavian countries. I understand (yet don't approve) their killing of whales and the like, but for them it's much necessary than Norge; who have a much bigger country and have the opportunity to develop different types of meals. But tradition is still very important to them, as Erik Tywaz once said.

Djöfull;9352676 said:

That's very interesting, it happens here too. One moment you'd see a curtain of rain approach, and the other (after you're soaked, of course) it'll be totally sunny. This happens a lot in the rainy season (i.e. now).

Bergen has some nice weather too, in which you count the amount of days in which it has rained. Non-stop, that is. The count when I was there? 378 o_O .

is it life expensive?
Wellit's one of the most expensive country in Europe along with Norway.. and more expensive since the financial crisis. Food prices have nearly doubled..

how is it reykjavik, i mean is the density of inhabitants high or not? do you generally live in houses or apartments?
Both houses and apartments.. The major city area has been getting denser, but there are some green areas in between.
Yes it's a wise choice. We have used some of the high pressure areas and now there is a debate to use more of them due to the crisis, but it may be too risky financially and there are some delicate, pristine areas in danger.

Bleurgh! Sea Sheperd.. They are hated in the Faroes and Iceland. It's hypocritical to be tolerant of eating cows and sheep and not whales. These whales stranded and were bound for a long painful death. The method of killing is a special knife that rips through the spinal chord ensuring that the animals die instantly(most of the time).

Djöfull;9371161 said:
Wellit's one of the most expensive country in Europe along with Norway.. and more expensive since the financial crisis. Food prices have nearly doubled..

Both houses and apartments.. The major city area has been getting denser, but there are some green areas in between.

Yes it's a wise choice. We have used some of the high pressure areas and now there is a debate to use more of them due to the crisis, but it may be too risky financially and there are some delicate, pristine areas in danger.
yes, i've heard you suffered a lot from the crisis. and i knew also that iceland is pretty expensive (i suppose it's also because it's an island and a lot of goods must be imported from the continent) what i really meant to ask is: is this expensiveness rightly compared with salaries or not? i mean, are you able to live with high or low life standars? are salaries enought high to live there or you have to struggle to reach the end of the month?

this is a problem we have here in italy. even if life is less expensive than in other european countries, like scandinavian ones, we have very low salaries, and there's a deep gap between life cost and people's real possibilities.
the euro have destroyed partially our economy, because prices have doubled and salaries have remained the same, only converted in the new money. so...on balance it's like our salaries have been halved. :bah:

just to go back on topic.
i really need to go here!!!!!
the name of the town is Pitigliano, and it's an old etruscan city.
i've seen the photos and it's fucking amazing!
plus there are some streets around the city carved in the tuff rocks which are increbile!!!!

pitigliano_03.jpg

pitigliano.jpg

sovana-vie-cave.jpg

vie%20cave%20etrusche.jpg

via-cava-sovana1.jpg

Djöfull;9371161 said:

Bleurgh! Sea Sheperd.. They are hated in the Faroes and Iceland. It's hypocritical to be tolerant of eating cows and sheep and not whales. These whales stranded and were bound for a long painful death. The method of killing is a special knife that rips through the spinal chord ensuring that the animals die instantly(most of the time).

I replied to this on the "chat" thread, as to not deviate more this thread.

I really like those pics Lefay, next time that I go to Italia I'll definitely go and visit Toscana and Pitigliano (la piccola Gerusalemme :p); they look like wonderful places.

some more of useless silly prettiness...
we went to the forest yesterday because there was so much snow. For the first time (and we go there almost every week) we didn't meet anyone there!! The railroad that goes along the edge of the forest is usually pretty busy and makes a lot of noise (a train every 5 min. or so). But because of the weather it was more like one train in 30 min or even less... It was so tranquil and pristine i would almost believe i was in the wilderness...

winter_wonderland_19_by_tree_of_death-d35232z.jpg

winter_wonderland_18_by_tree_of_death-d3522wz.jpg

winter_wonderland_17_by_tree_of_death-d3522sl.jpg

winter_wonderland_13_by_tree_of_death-d3522by.jpg

winter_wonderland_10_by_tree_of_death-d3521u3.jpg

winter_wonderland_06_by_tree_of_death-d3520y5.jpg

more pics can be found here

some more of useless silly prettiness...
we went to the forest yesterday because there was so much snow. For the first time (and we go there almost every week) we didn't meet anyone there!! The railroad that goes along the edge of the forest is usually pretty busy and makes a lot of noise (a train every 5 min. or so). But because of the weather it was more like one train in 30 min or even less... It was so tranquil and pristine i would almost believe i was in the wilderness...

more pics can be found here

wow, that's really a lot of snow!!!
i will post some photos when i'll have my pc back home from the doctor, but they are not so white and awesome as yours, we are beginners in snow's subject :oops:

wow, that's really a lot of snow!!!
i will post some photos when i'll have my pc back home from the doctor, but they are not so white and awesome as yours, we are beginners in snow's subject :oops:
doesn't matter, please do post them! :)

and it's weird that Iceland doesn't have much snow (yet?)...

today there were even twice as much snow, even in the town all the streets are covered with a layer of snow as thick as 30 cm probably! Looks awesome! :Spin: I think it was very magical in the forest, but we didn't go today, i think i got cold the last time... I wish i had skis!!

thnx! ^^

today we had clear blue skies so we went to the forest again... It felt like we were on wintersport vacation somewhere in Ausria! :D i cannot remember so much snow here in NL, and i've been living here for more than 10 years now! We saw kids and their parents having lots of fun sliding down the hill on sledges, how wished i had one myself! We were running around and throwing each other in the snow, I felt like a kid again! :tickled: Ohmy, i think it was the happiest day of the year! I LOVE winter!! ♥

winter_wonderland_27_by_tree_of_death-d359tgw.jpg

winter_wonderland_32_by_tree_of_death-d359ujg.jpg

here's my bf drinking his flask of whisky empty :tickled:
winter_wonderland_34_by_tree_of_death-d359v4r.jpg

winter_wonderland_40_by_tree_of_death-d359wbc.jpg

winter_wonderland_42_by_tree_of_death-d359wsj.jpg

winter_wonderland_47_by_tree_of_death-d35aepx.jpg

and poor young birches couldn't bare the weight of the snow...
winter_wonderland_53_by_tree_of_death-d35ag68.jpg

and many many more pictures here! :p (starting with #23 are today's pics)

wow! really good photos!
you have a great eye ;)
and the landscapes are amazing...i wish i could roll myself a little it too on this snow.
and i wish we had such blu skyes.
our sky is fucking pale and white, i think it's humidity's fault.
doesn't look so great on pictures :(

^ Excellent pictures! I really like them. Which camera are you using? But what really caught my attention was the "living in Nederlanden for 10 years" part. So you weren't born there? Where're you from, if you don't mind me asking?

i was born and spend my childhood and teens in Russia where the snow covers the streets for good 6 months a year without melting and nobody complains about ice on the roads because it's just a part of the daily life. When i was a kid we had to spend our school mandatory gym classes outside during the winter months, in the nearby forest or park, where we learned to ski. And those classes got canceled only when the temperature fell below -15 deg. C. :) So almost all russian kids could ski, although i don't know if the school rules had changed much since when i was a kid...

wow! really good photos!
you have a great eye ;)
and the landscapes are amazing...i wish i could roll myself a little it too on this snow.
and i wish we had such blu skyes.
our sky is fucking pale and white, i think it's humidity's fault.
doesn't look so great on pictures :(
thnx! :oops: it's not so difficult to take beautiful pictures when the landscapes look magical all around you! :) The pictures are not as great as it looked in rl, really! :oops: It's still the same cheap camera i used to film Borknagar and other gigs and make concert pictures. It''s Canon IXUS 85 IS, very limited possibilities, so yeah i have to do my best to make it work :D It's quite good for nature photographing but that's about it. Oh, and to film metal gigs too :lol:

The skies in NL are not so blue at all. The clear skies are not so bright blue as in Russia or even Germany, even in the summer. There's always some kind of pale haze near the horizon, which by the way gives beautiful lighting effects sometimes. There is even a documentary about the lighting and skies in the art of famous Dutch painters called "Hollands Licht" ("Dutch Light") where they talk about a possible phenomenon that is "Dutch light"... It's also very humid here so i think you are right and the haze comes from the humidity in the air...

@elvina: i think your camera is really good with good light conditions!
modern cameras work really well outside, they start to have problems with low lights because of low iso possibilities and little processors.

i post some photos from the snowy days, as i've already said, nothing comparable with those majestic photos you have posted on this thread.
but it's still a lot of snow for us!
since there wasn't so much snowy landscapes left to shoot, i focused on details...

friday evening, what i saw from my window:
the street in front of my home
dsc5331.jpg

dsc5332.jpg

my neighbour's garden
dsc5328y.jpg

saturday, half of the snow was sadly gone :cry:
going to the park
dsc5353.jpg

human footprints
dsc5366n.jpg

dsc5463.jpg

dsc5430g.jpg

animal's prints, a bird and a boar
dsc5484l.jpg

dsc5482l.jpg

the street that cross the park, with no cars. i felt like we were the two only humans on earth :lol:
dsc5385.jpg

dsc5390.jpg

dsc5389oj.jpg

italian's incivility
dsc5360.jpg

beautiful plays under the ice
dsc5498.jpg

dsc5494.jpg

dsc5495.jpg

dsc55001.jpg

dsc5475.jpg

i love the colour contrast
dsc5404c.jpg

melted snow and sky and trees' reflection
dsc5420.jpg

no chance to keep the balance on 5 cms of snow....we have no talent for snow! :lol:
dsc5431t.jpg

wow! :eek: fantastic pictures of the ice and leaves, very artistic! Your pictures are much sharper, clearer and the colours much brighter! If you were here you would have made awesome pictures, much more beautiful than mine :p

The combination of palms and snow looks so weird! I've never been to Italy but the pictures of your street reminded me of vacation pictures :D

animal's prints, a bird and a boar
are there boars in the park?? :ill: like in, wild swine? wow, we only find rabbits, hares' and deer's prints here...

the black and white pictures look grim indeed! :)