Laney GH100L

affinityband

Mar 12, 2005
Brackley, England
www.myspace.com
I have had one of these for a couple of years now. And i was thinking to myself whether or not it would be wise to replace the valves in them by now, as i have no idea when they are going to wear out. I know mike has this very amp head, but seeing as he probably wont reply i was wondering if any of you guys had any tips on power valves. Feedback would be appreciated

replacing tubes can be expensive... if your tone isn't what it used to be, or the output is lower, then you might be at the time to change 'em. if you do, make sure you take it to a shop that works with Laney amps, and test run it there after they switch them to make sure they did it right!

affinityband said:
I have had one of these for a couple of years now. And i was thinking to myself whether or not it would be wise to replace the valves in them by now, as i have no idea when they are going to wear out. I know mike has this very amp head, but seeing as he probably wont reply i was wondering if any of you guys had any tips on power valves. Feedback would be appreciated

It really depends on what make you have plugged into your amp...

Do you know this ?

If you have to remove the valve's to see the make, pull them out holding the base not the glass !!!

When/if you do this be sure to polish them to remove grime or smoke deposits as dirty Valve's run hot, and bake this on, try not to remove the printed numbers.

Hope this helps ?

dcat.

you might want to change the valves out to explore some new tones anyway. i'd try some jj's if i were you. i have a vc-30 that i stuck some jjs in. there was quite an improvement. they are a bit darker, and break up a lot smoother. you're not going to see a real difference in power tubes until you turn it up....as far as pre-amp valves go, the difference is always noticeable.

affinityband said:
no chris just get a job and buy new one.u should get one of markypoos cabs too!

affinityband said:
Curly sue i couldnt think of a worse idea.
well i was joking . but get a marky cab? just so u have a have a pointlessly bigger than u amp

affinityband said:
Yea i want him to design me a cab. I reckon get the speakers taken out of mine and put it into marks cleverly designed one. That would be awesome.
i have to say i love him!

affinityband said:
Laney.... i was thinking to myself whether or not it would be wise to replace the valves in them by now, as i have no idea when they are going to wear out.

Isn't there a Laney-forum somewhere for such questions? :Spin:

affinityband said:

I am trying to help you with this...

See post 4 above, or better still click on the link below...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4460901#post4460901post4460901

Thanks.