Question about Laneys

Mike

Jan 11, 2004
Denzel, WA.
I know Akerfeldt uses the Laney GH100L, but when i saw then play live, they played a song off of Damnation with the "acoustic sound" i was just wondering what they do live to get that acoustic sound since the GH100L amp is only a 1 channel head.

I like the sound they get from the Laney amps and I was looking into getting one that would give me a similar distortion sound to Opeth, but Id like to be able to switch from clean to distortion.

btw when played live you hardly get any 'Laney' because of the GT8, Which has about a billion shit options for a clean sound. I have both, and if the Laney had a spring reverb on it id be very much happy and would probably never use my gt8 its just too fiddly and its very hard to get a good sound. It is well organised and very useful for a live situation though.

so his live set up is the Laney amp set to sound relatively clean with the GT-8 doing the distortion / clean sounds?

the distortion comes from the gt8 and yup the laney is clean. I think i may actually just bypass my gt8 sound so that overdrive comes from the laney(as it is lovely) and just the clean sound and weird effects are the gt8. gunna have to buy some more cables tho :oops:

i have the GT-6, im debating buying a cheap Fender FM100 head and keeping it clean and using the GT-6 for all my sounds and effects, of if i want to find a good sounding dual channel head to use instead.

yeh, i read somewhere that they play clean through the amp and use thier GT's to get their effects...
i do that through my JCM 900 and use my pod xtl

I have a Peavey 6505 Plus (reissue 5150 +, which is a 5150 with better cleans and a crunch channel) and I love it. The distortion is amazing and it has a great punchy but articulate tone.

Ive never played a Laney but I do love my Peavey. Another plus was that it was only $590!

Yeah, I got really lucky. The guy wanted to sell it to get a Carvin Legacy, and I made the offer... I still cant believe he took it. Oh yeah, and the $590 includes the shipping! :cool:

I've got a GH50L, and yeah, both clean and dirty sound really good. Not really practicle to switch between the two though (shared EQ).
Carvin? I used to own one of those MTS combos, and it didn't do much for me at all, neither did a Legacy that I plugged into. To each his own though.

affinityband said:
actually you can get a pedal from laney.

Because of my shared EQ remark?
Yeah, you can get a switch, but regardless of that, the EQ for the 2 channels, or for the single channel with more gain rather, is the same.

Even though you get the shared EQ, it is totally possible to get a good clean sound from it. I really wish i had a reverb pedal or something so that it doesnt sound so cluttered when you play the clean channel. It works for me because i dont really put alot of gain when im using the distortion channel, simply because it will sound shit and fuzzy, especially when on a higher volume its impossible to control the feedback in a practical way. But if you are talking about the clean channel and then swtiching the distortion to staying at the same volume i just turn the gain down and the drive up, to get a slight difference in volume between the two.