Amps and cabs on deliverence

bleed for me

Sep 9, 2001
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Does anyone know what amps and, more importanty, what type of cabinet is used on the deliverence album (parts like the beggining of wreath and masters apprentice)?

I know they endorse laney VH100L heads but did they use that to record those parts? I've also head they use 5150's. And, do laney amps sound similar to marshalls, since they are both british amplifiers? If not, are they similar to soldano's or mesa boogies?

I'm basically trying to create a setting on my POD, i love the tone on the new album. Been fiddling around for a couple days but i haven't been able to get the settings quite right.

Thanks.

5150 is very similar to a Soldano...actually, Laneys are sort of a cross between the Soldano and the Marshall. As far as it goes on a POD, you're probably best off going with the Modern High Gain setting, with the gain itself backed off to about 2 o'clock, depending on the guitar you're using.

To my very surprise I was easily able to recreate the Deliverance tone with my Marshall AVT-50 and my Jackson DKMGT
I just put the gain to almost max,
bass to 8,
middle to 2,
treble to 8

and voilà!
It's the setting I have always used since I got that equipment last spring.

But I'm gonna replace the stock pickups soon, I don't like the sound of the EMG Hz3. I already ordered a Seymour Duncan JB/'59 combo.
:)

I can almost guarantee you if you're gain is at max, then you're not recreating any Opeth tone (except maybe the first two albums... that was Metal Zone).

Opeth puts their gain level extremely low, and uses multiple overdubs (around 4 rhythm tracks) to make it sound huge. Its actually a great technique, putting the gain too high results in tons of mud and a general lack of clarity. The guys sound is incredibly clear for such a heavy tone, I'm sure you've noticed.

Live however, I'd imagine they use a bit more gain just to make up for the fact that you cant really overdub live.

Try this:

Amp model - Modern hi gain
Cabinet model - Line6 4x12
Drive - 8 (NO boost)
Bass - 3
Mids - 9
Treble - 8

Originally posted by Fifth_Horseman
To my very surprise I was easily able to recreate the Deliverance tone with my Marshall AVT-50 and my Jackson DKMGT
I just put the gain to almost max,
bass to 8,
middle to 2,
treble to 8

and voilà!
It's the setting I have always used since I got that equipment last spring.

But I'm gonna replace the stock pickups soon, I don't like the sound of the EMG Hz3. I already ordered a Seymour Duncan JB/'59 combo.
:)

I got the HZ3 in my esp viper, they kick ass in the neck, but the bridge is a bit loose.

Originally posted by Brooks
I can almost guarantee you if you're gain is at max, then you're not recreating any Opeth tone (except maybe the first two albums... that was Metal Zone).

Opeth puts their gain level extremely low, and uses multiple overdubs (around 4 rhythm tracks) to make it sound huge. Its actually a great technique, putting the gain too high results in tons of mud and a general lack of clarity. The guys sound is incredibly clear for such a heavy tone, I'm sure you've noticed.

Live however, I'd imagine they use a bit more gain just to make up for the fact that you cant really overdub live.

That is right, but with my little 50W amp set at very low volumes (which I have to do in my appartment here) I don't get that much mud... I should have stated that too, that's right

I admit my tone is still not as clear as theirs on the album, but to recreate their tone without overdubbing would be near impossible IMO.

Originally posted by Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral
I got the HZ3 in my esp viper, they kick ass in the neck, but the bridge is a bit loose.

Yeah, what I like about the HZ3 is the clean sounds the neck pickup can give me. But I'm sure the '59 will still do alot better, and having one closed coil and one open coil pickup in a guitar looks like shit IMO.

Originally posted by Brooks

This goes for every single well-recorded metal band. Less is definitely more.

And as for the original question, it's really tough to nail the exact tone because of all the processing that goes on in the studio. You can buy the same amplifiers, guitars, etc. but you won't get the exact tone because of equipment limitations. Not only that, but no one will sound like Mikael but Mikael himself.

Of course, that's not a reason to give up and stop trying. Using that tone as a goal is a great idea. But like Brooks said, use low gain when recording, and rerecord your parts a few times and pan them appropriately (eg. two rhythm tracks with slightly different settings panned left, then repeat for the right side) to get a nice, fat, clear sound.