Would Joey ever consider using real amps?

i think you guys are missing the point.

GENERALLY:
no one cares what the producer thinks about amp sims or if he uses them.
it's all about the overall vibe and how the listening audience responds to it.

producers need to get out of their own ass and learn that their job is not to sit back and be smug about their best guitar tone yet, but to make a record that sounds good to the public.

Joey does just that. pod or no pod.

I can play 3 COMPLETELY different mixes to my girlfriend and she'll tell me they all sound great unless their is something seriously wrong. pod or no pod. 6505+ or Orange. it doesn't matter. as long as the vibe is right. and it's people like that who make up the majority of fans.

He posted one POD setting, once. As far as I'm aware Sneap mainly uses the pod for guide tracks, and possibly the occasional lead/clean overdub. He's still very much into his valve amps, as evidenced by his massive wall of amps in his studio, and this quote from an interview talking about the POD XT:

"I still wouldn’t put it above a good amp with an SM 57, and a good cab with Vintage 30s"

It's very well documented that Sneap uses a 5150 with a Mesa cab on the vast majority of the albums he records. He's just used a Marshall JVM through 2 different cabs using 3 different mic's on the new Arch Enemy record. So no, he doesn't generally use a POD in his productions. Just because Joey's using it doesn't mean everyone else is.

The main reason that Joey has become so popular is that he started out making good sounding records using Slate drums and a POD XT. This is stuff that is much more within reach to your average band/bedroom producer than expensive valve amps etc. This makes his sound seem very accessible to those on a budget, hence his massive rise in popularity over a fairly short period of time.

If i recall he's posted more than one pod setting... but thanks
actually several...

and accessible... lol your a joke... lets just see accessible joeys sound is...
a complete gear list from 2010 which has been upgraded no doubt, as he has added two rack items and several software plug-ins...

Computers:
Intel i7 980x Extreme 3.33 GHZ 64bit 6-core with HT
6 GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
1 Intel SSD Extreme (16 GB OS drive)
3 Western Digital 640 GB SATA 3.0′s (System, Sample, Record drives)

Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 2.26 GHZ 32bit 4-core
4 GB Dual Channel DDR2 Memory
3 Western Digital Drives (OS, System/Sample, Record drives)

Mac Pro Dual 64 bit Xeon’s 2.26 GHZ 8-core with HT
8 GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
2 1TB Drives

Mac Book Pro (random stuff)

Sony Vaio Laptop (for drum editing when i’m traveling)

Interface / Word Clocks:
RME Fireface 800
Apogee Big Ben

Mic Pres:
API 3124+
2x Presonus Digimax D8′s
Great River ME-1NV

Mics:
Audio Technica AT3035
Audio Technica AT4040
Audix D6
Audix i5
Beyerdynamic M201 TG
Neumann KM184 (Stereo Pair)
Oktava MK012 (Stereo Pair)
Rode K2
2x Sennheiser MD 421 II
3x Sennheiser e604
Sennheiser e609
Shure SM57 w/ Grenelli Mod
Shure Beta 52
Shure Beta 58
Shure SM7b

probably some other’s I’m forgetting…

Monitors:
ADAM A7
Presonus Central Station

MISC:
2x Monster Power 3500 Power Conditioners
4 or 5 LCD monitors
3 or 4 keyboards (on my desk, because I dont like KVM’s)
3 mice (on my desk! haha)
Axiom Pro 49 Midi Controller
Kaoss Pad
Hundreds of cables

plus oh i would say about $25,000 + in software which is probably a very low estimate...

hmmm... very accessible indeed

Except HD147 is a real, physical, guitar amp. Not just some bits on your hard drive.

211409.jpg

Those who want a forum, have a forum. Andy Sneap has one, Devin Townsend has one, highend wankers have Gearslutz, Joey has his new forum and so on. Those who don't want to share their "trade secrets" don't have a forum

anyone how uses a hd147 uses the accompanying amp controlling software... that's a no-brainer

and its ummm not a "real amp" its like a pod on steroids with the ability to power cabinets lol....

tumblr_le5zugzsc91qbp4emo1_400.gif

jpsmithrocks, dont see your point with the list.. yeah he have a lot of stuff, but the truth is that if you gave him a daw, DI box, pod farm, slate, some overhead mics and killer vocal mic + some selected plugins I bet he would be able to make a joey record that would make you "droll" anyway.

hence his sound is accessible, from a gear point of view..
And no reason to start taking it personal and calling other members for "jokes"

Jpsmith, to be fair I've never seen more than the one pod tone from Sneap, maybe he's posted more but I've never heard about it, and it's certainly not in the faq on that forum. I've also never heard of him using a POD for the main tones on any of his records, so I think my point still stands.

Do you honestly think that Andy has a massive wall of amps, talks about cabinet preferences and mic'ing techniques, tells us what amps he uses on his records. And then secretly goes away and uses a POD XT on his records?

Well done on pointing out that Joey has lots of stuff, despite the fact I said that Joey started out using a POD and Slate. I can't help but think that you're missing the point. Let's forget about the half dozen computers, 4 screens, mic preamps etc and look at the core element of the source sounds:

The basics of a Joey guitar sound is a POD XT or a copy of POD Farm Platinum.
The basics of a Sneap guitar sound is a Tubescreamer, 6505, Mesa Rectifier Cab and an SM57.

Which is more accessible to those on a budget?

The basics of Joeys drum sound (at least before he started making his own samples) is a copy of Steven Slate Drums, drum triggers and some overhead mic's.
The basics of Sneaps drum sound is a well tuned, properly mic'd, high quality drum kit.

Which is more accessible to those on a budget?

Obviously mixing and editing plays a massive role for both of them to get their end sound, but when you look at the core or their sounds (i.e. what it is that's used to generate the sound in the first place) then clearly Joey's style of recording is much more accessible to those on a budget.

I say who cares.....let them do what they do, and you do what you do and I do what I do. Joey is good, Andy is good...that's all there is to it. It's all preference. I use POD because I am in a dorm room, and once I get out, I will be experimenting. I use to use my Line 6 Spider Amp when I was home, and I got some massive tones using that with a SM57. I also get massive tones using my PODfarm too. ANd Joey has a good tone, I understaand a lot of his other sounds in a mix make the guitars sound massive, but on their own, I think they still sound great. That is my opinion.

anyone how uses a hd147 uses the accompanying amp controlling software... that's a no-brainer

and its ummm not a "real amp" its like a pod on steroids with the ability to power cabinets lol....
Ahjteam already said it but I'm gonna repeat it: It's a real amp. PODfarm isn't. You should probably read something about tube-, solid-state and modeling amps if you say it's no real amp. It has a preamp section and a poweramp section and you (can) hook it up to a cab -> real amp.
software plugin -> no real amp :wave:

And what's your point anyway? Even you agreed some people make PODs sound great and others get awesome sounds from "real" amps..
Oh and good job listing Joey's equipment to "proof" you need expensive gear for his kind of sound. I'm sure you need five different computers to get it, so your post actually makes a lot of sense.

I didn't realize so many of you used amp sims. Do your clients ever have a problem with it? When I start to record bands I will probably want to mainly use my AxeFX because that's what I know the best out of my gear since I don't have access to mic my 5150 up all the time, but I though clients would be against that.. even though i get way better sounds out of my Axefx.

I personally don't like using mics there are a lot of variables and it's a pain!! So our Traynor Custom Special 100W all tube head has a SPEAKER EMULATED Di Out with level adjust. XLR cable right into the Fireface. The Preamp is active on STANDBY so the power tubes to the speaker main outputs are OFF. So you can record just like any of the amp sims.

Of all that we tested eg Line6, Sans Amp, and a few others (I am trying to forget they sounded horrible!!), the 100W tube preamp had the sweetest tones for sure. We re-tubed it got even better. Nobody mentions Traynor on here they are Canadian made - but they are a great amp at a very good price. We paid $600 gently used. 3 channels too. Lots of great features I have been looking at the 6505 but we use all 3 channels and the DI.

Jerks

PODs sound awesome. Someone needs to buy my XT Pro already. :lol:

FWIW, amp sims still have a very static, stiff midrange to them that changes the way the entire mix breathes (in that it doesn't as much as with a well mic'd amp) to my ears. While it's gotten a lot better with Joey's latest stuff (Zombie, TCM, upcoming, OM&M), it is still the one thing that I'm not totally sold on with his productions.

Nobody's been able to properly model speaker movement yet, and until that happens, I think we're stuck where we are. The preamp simulation is pretty much dead-on, as the AxeFX has proven time and time again, but the actual speaker simulation is lacking. The new DAR loadbox + IR loader claims to have fixed this by using a super high-resolution IR, but we'll have to wait a couple months to see exactly how good it sounds.

PODs sound awesome. Someone needs to buy my XT Pro already. :lol:

FWIW, amp sims still have a very static, stiff midrange to them that changes the way the entire mix breathes (in that it doesn't as much as with a well mic'd amp) to my ears. While it's gotten a lot better with Joey's latest stuff (Zombie, TCM, upcoming, OM&M), it is still the one thing that I'm not totally sold on with his productions.

Nobody's been able to properly model speaker movement yet, and until that happens, I think we're stuck where we are. The preamp simulation is pretty much dead-on, as the AxeFX has proven time and time again, but the actual speaker simulation is lacking. The new DAR loadbox + IR loader claims to have fixed this by using a super high-resolution IR, but we'll have to wait a couple months to see exactly how good it sounds.

Pm'ed

The preamp simulation is pretty much dead-on, as the AxeFX has proven time and time again, but the actual speaker simulation is lacking.
I'll totally agree with you there man, I used to get some really nice tones out of my POD XT going into the poweramp of my Marshall. You can get a great range of sounds using a modeller and a cheap 6l6 and el34 based valve head (Windsor and Valveking?)

I do think something that's often overlooked in amp modelling is the poweramp actually. They always seem to be preamp + cabinet modelling. I think this is the main reason I've never found something that can do the whole cranked Marshall sound very well.