Joey Sticks To Only Cali?

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
Well, I hear that the "Patch" is Joey's starting point, but I find it hard to believe he limits himself to one amp on a program with several dozen different high gain models.

EDIT: I mean Joey uses something similar to the "patch", a preset Anssi has created using information he gathered overtime from Joey Sturgis' posts pertaining to his Pod Farm settings.

Bands continuously complain that the Cali isn't heavy enough when I track them. :bah:

I'm not saying he doesn't just use the Cali, I'm just wondering if he does.

I messed around with others and one I find myself using for heavier material is the Angel P-Ball with the 2001 4x12 Treadplate. Kickass amp I tell ya! Of course you need to cut in the 3k range to get rid of that annoying fuzz, but its a great amp.

If Joey does just use the Cali, then how does he get such a gnar tone for bands like Attack Attack! and Atilla???!! (Of course we all know here, that the dude is a Pod genius.)

If you use any different amps, share with us what you use! I'm curious if everyone here only uses the Cali! There's a lot of kickass amps on there! :headbang:

Well, I hear that the "Patch" is Joey's starting point

Wrong. Joey has clearly stated that the he or his studio wants officially nothing to do with the patch.

"The Patch" (link to those who are oblivious what I'm talking about) is an unofficial list of 1+1=2 settings I compiled from several different posts Joey posted during 2006-2009 in the Andy Sneap forum when he was still generously giving out info about his production when he wasn't "famous". It is a "general" midway assumption I made that since those elements were used in many of his productions of that era (with varying settings FYI, he said he used the Diezel amp too once). For example any of the settings do not list noise gate at all, but when Joey said in the thread later that the amount of gain needs a noisegate, I did put it there as a remark at the end. So it's not the 10 commandments of "the Joey Sturgis tone", but my assumption from the info he gave out in those 3-4 years.

Yeah I shouldve stated that he used something similar, I didnt mean to imply that. I know he had nothing to do with your patch.

I (think) i can tell by ears he's using the treadplate more often nowdays.

You think? I've always thought the Treadplate had a ridiculous amount of low end and gain and I've never really used it on any recordings cause it just seems so... abrasive.

Joeys stuff sounds crunchier than the Cali. But half of his sound is probably in the chain AFTER podfarm?

I guess that half of his sound is in the well-tracked bass guitar, (and in guitars of course!). Just listen to fragments where the bass plays none, and you will hear nothing unusual in the guitars. But in the mix all instruments sound full, thick and punchy :) In my opinion, there are no magic tricks in the guitars, just good playing and decent instruments, and Joey's high skills about mixing.

Anthropocide pretty much nailed it for me. So much of what people love in Joey's guitar tone is actually in the bass tone. Well tracked bass, tight editing, new strings and a huge bass tone. Guitars are actually a lot thinner than they seem.

Very true! So, if you guys are Pod Farmers, what do you use? Like I said, I love the Angel P-Ball.

most of my awesomeness comes from elsewhere, not pod farm =D

^^
Always been one to say that the Pod guitar tone has never been the most important or relevant part of your mixes. It's more about the way everything supports the guitars IMO, along with whatever post processing you're doing.

That being said I could be way off!

most of my awesomeness comes from elsewhere, not pod farm =D

Well of course. I get awesomeness from other stuff as well, like a well tracked bass guitar, a beefy ass kick and a good set of ears and editing skills, which you obviously have to help make your mixes sounds stellar haha. I was just curious if you switch it up. Not asking for settings, just was curious. I like to experiment with Pod Farm.

As much as people like to rip on Pod Farm at the Sneap Forum, I think it's an awesome program. Why stick to one or 2 real amps when you can have a carousel of amps? I'm all for the digital movement.

Didnt he say recently that he just uses the podfarm with a high and low pass, a limiter and no eq on his guitars? I'm assuming most of the "awesomeness" comes from mastering. I wish he'd loosen his grip a little on how he's doing things nowadays and kind of give us some new stuff to obsess about. haha

Didnt he say recently that he just uses the podfarm with a high and low pass, a limiter and no eq on his guitars? I'm assuming most of the "awesomeness" comes from mastering. I wish he'd loosen his grip a little on how he's doing things nowadays and kind of give us some new stuff to obsess about. haha

.....this ^^

There is no obsession here nor do I care how he does things production wise. Hahaha, I'm just simply wondering if he uses different amps besides the Cali.

the "awesomeness from elsewhere" i was referring too is the post processing on the amp tone

which i have never truly told anyone exactly what all it is.

my pod post production is as follows.

-disable podfarm
-reamp through axefx 2

:)

now share yours! :p