Joey Sturgis FAQ

Sorry guys if i have hurt your souls...that wasn't my intention...Next time i'll be careful not to do too many questions.
That was just a curiosity.I was looking some forum and i read about impulses,and i was questioning to you what you think about it.
I don't understand why giving answers like "go away" or "SEARCH. READ. FUCK."..that was very helpful for one who don't know very well the world of production.
But i don't want to be controversial,i don't want enemy in this forum cos it's really important to me being a member of this forum(I respect Joey very much as a producer).
Anyway I have questioned an opinion and i received FUCK as answer..good thing that there are so many genius in this world!

most people are on this forum because they were being treated (at sneap's) the same way they are treating you, nick.

you should really learn a bit more about forum etiquette though.

please try to use the search function instead of just asking. people here will say that they have been through a lot in order to build skills. nothing is more important (here) than being resourceful.

also, this is just the internet so don't take their comments too seriously.

***to everyone else: at least he used the correct thread to ask the question. :lol:

Thanks Tim for the answer..maybe i'm not used to be a member of a forum..in fact this is the first time that i put thread or comments in a forum.
I'm sorry to have received those answers maybe cos i'm wrong to take comments to much seriously.
I'll try to give the right weight to each comment.
Anyway thanks for the answer Tim! :D

mod note: but he could've actually read the thread. or at least the op. and the answer to his question is "no, he uses podfarm"
He doesn't use the cab sim in podfarm though. I'd link you to wherever he said it, but I'm far too lazy to look.

Hey guys i'm just curios. I wanna buy an API 3124+. Does anyone know how Joey uses this pre with his RME FF800? Does he use an external converter or just straight into RME Analog-Ins with BigBen Clock? And how about the Great River? Are the RME converters good enough for these units? Thank you so much!

Hey Joey i've been a fan of your cymbal sound since the begining. I would really like to know the pre/post procedure of what your doing, considering your room is nothing special with the exception of a few panels. atleast to my knowledge.

I also understand you have a few nices pres and mics, but even back before you picked up your nuemanns you still were producing solid overhead tones.

You have a niche for the overheads.

Please enlighten me

Firstly a big thank you to for everyone who has contributed to this thread, there is a lot of great information here. I have a question relating to guitars. I am running an OK guitar through a DI - Valve Pre - AD/DA converter - POD Farm. I have found it relatively easy to tame the 'fizz' by pulling numerous harsh frequencies with a very narrow quotient. The guitar is tuned to drop C and has been set up professionally.

My issue is with the low end of the guitar, I have used a HPF and cut everything below 100Hz. I then pulled 130Hz out (a lot) again with a narrow Q. I then cut a bit of 220. Further more I have used a low shelf and taken a further 3dB off everything below 250Hz. This seems to produce a reasonable sounding result (For this particular guitar) - the tone is close a professional standard but still lacks the fidelity and clarity of say AA or TDWP (Not trying to imitate them, but using them as a standard in quality).

It seems to sound reasonable at this stage but is it atypical to have to remove so much low end when using pod farm? Or is this perhaps an issue with my levels/mix or quality of instrument?

How does he make that dissonant guitar squeal (Emmure - Speaker of the dead)

I know Brian Hood does something similar in the Sworn In album and A Plea For Purging, just really curious about how to achieve that sound!