Joey Sturgis FAQ

Hey Joey !

I have seen quite a few people from bands you have recorded pop up now as a producer/studio owners (Of top of my head, atleast two guys from AA).. So I was wondering.
When you have a band in, are they allowed to see your usual chain for different things (lets say your most wanted podfarm guitar chain for an example) or do you kinda hide that to protect your "secrets" (like using a rough chain when you are tracking and then using your magic plugins when you are alone mixing) ?

Tl DR: Are you making any effort in hiding some of your workflow and secrets from the public eyes in RL ?

he did say somewhere that most of the magic happens after the band has packed up and left. he will track for x amount of weeks then mix a few bands worth of releases then repeat.

I would have to say it doesnt matter because its Joey's ears, room, setup, everything; not theirs.

Hell Nick does all of his guitar tracking, I know he has seen almost (if not everything) Joey has in his sessions and Nick still uses his 5150 for guitars on stuff he produces.
that alone should tell you that it doesnt matter what you know, have seen or even have the preset for, its what you can do with it and lets face it most of us cant make it what Joey does.

I would have to say it doesnt matter because its Joey's ears, room, setup, everything; not theirs.

Hell Nick does all of his guitar tracking, I know he has seen almost (if not everything) Joey has in his sessions and Nick still uses his 5150 for guitars on stuff he produces.
that alone should tell you that it doesnt matter what you know, have seen or even have the preset for, its what you can do with it and lets face it most of us cant make it what Joey does.

Yeah I know that, of course no one is gonna sound like joey just by knowing some presets.. but still there is some stuff you might want to keep to yourself and not make it easier for "joey clones".
Anyway just something im wondering since there is so many people who would almost kill for knowing his chains :).

there's actually a lot of templates and starting points used in the tracking stages. they all get tweaked in the master song (i always choose one song to beef the fuck out of, and use those settings for my basic settings on all the other songs and then i can just usually automate from there and tweak things out).

a lot of the real magic is setup in the project and just locked down. no one really gets to see any of it. probably not even nick. he's got too much time with the project window in view trying to make sure everything's on time and in tune to be looking around. but knowing the exact settings of everything doesnt really help anyone. because its very specific to the album, project / song. sure he could go home and plug in the numbers, but the theory or relativity with audio matters more. so unless his audio was identical to what was going on in that song, it wouldn't sound right.

someone asked if i use a limiter on the post of my guitar chain. the answer is yes. compressors don't react fast enough to heavy distorted guitars. limiters are used to make the perceived volume higher.

I do the same exact thing and I agree 100%. I haven't found the "it" factor yet though. Which plugin would you recommend using Joey?

edit: The list of questions in one post:

1)

In general, in what angle do you put your snare and tom mics? Do you go like almost flat, at 45 degrees or even steeper? Also do you have any preference when it comes to mics?

2)

When you have a band in, are they allowed to see your usual chain for different things (lets say your most wanted podfarm guitar chain for an example) or do you kinda hide that to protect your "secrets" (like using a rough chain when you are tracking and then using your magic plugins when you are alone mixing) ?

Tl DR: Are you making any effort in hiding some of your workflow and secrets from the public eyes in RL ?

3)

how perfectly do the guitarists play / do you make them play the songs?
do you lean more towards just letting them track it and you edit more, or do you try to make it as perfect as possible for minimal editing?

4)

What kind of bass guitars do you prefer for tracking (material, pickups, brands and models etc)?

i read that joey put his guitars in cayman DI-box and the into rme interface 800...but how cani he run pod farm if there's no line6 interface between his guitar and rme interface?

yeah...but according to the site..you can't use pod farm without a line 6 interface(Gx,Ux1,Ux2,etc.....) maybe i'm wrong...

I have a presounus mobile...so if i put my guitar into presonul mobile i can run pod farm?? good news...i'm not very informed!! ahahaha