Joey Sturgis FAQ

I'm sorry if this has been asked already, I haven't seen it though so:

how perfectly do the guitarists play / do you make them play the songs?
do you lean more towards just letting them track it and you edit more, or do you try to make it as perfect as possible for minimal editing?

edit: and which of the bands you've produced played the most cleanly/sloppily? I'm just curious

haha it's okay, at the risk of sounding like a fanboy, im trying to figure out where the chunkyness comes from!

Honestly, I don't see why you're getting shit about asking, because...

Read the first post. it answers a lot of questions.

It really doesn't. The details given are way old, outdated, and don't give very good results compared to whatever Joey's doing now. Telling people they aren't allowed to ask for updates on an issue that was last discussed 2 years ago and wasn't even settled very much back then is just counter-productive and douchey, at best.

The details given are way old, outdated

Many (but not all) of Joey's answer were answered was answered during the time that the forum has been up, some have been gathered from older tips, but he hasn't been giving out detailed answer to most of the stuff, just pointers. Just like it should be. The answer to the Decklan's question is that Joey "uses Podfarm for everything guitar related" was one of the first questions answered on this FAQ, March 13 this year. And his follow up question "where the chunkyness comes from" isn't even the same than what he really wanted to know, which is a combination of good playing + guitar tone + bass tone.

Telling people they aren't allowed to ask for updates on an issue that was last discussed 2 years ago and wasn't even settled very much back then is just counter-productive

The rule "do not ask for presets/settings" should be quite clear. And like Daniel pointed out: "a lot" doesn't mean "everything"

The answer to the Decklan's question is that Joey "uses Podfarm for everything guitar related" was one of the first questions answered on this FAQ, March 13 this year. And his follow up question "where the chunkyness comes from" isn't even the same than what he really wanted to know, which is a combination of good playing + guitar tone + bass tone.

there is no 'k' in my name :lol:

and i was referring to the chunkyness in the guitar tone.. which is according to you part of the chunkyness.. :err:

i was asking if joey likes a limiter in his pod chain - i guess that's kinda asking about some of his settings.. but also just asking his thoughts on such a processing technique, as was the 'boost+eq', i remember him talking about it positively once, and i tried it and it added some crunch to my tone, just wondering what his thoughts were on that?

haha it's okay, at the risk of sounding like a fanboy, im trying to figure out where the chunkyness comes from!

The chunk comes from the bass, and it's relationship with the kick and guitars (i.e. not clouding up the subs and having space to breathe frequency-wise!)

Oh and insane tightness

:)

Many (but not all) of Joey's answer were answered was answered during the time that the forum has been up, some have been gathered from older tips, but he hasn't been giving out detailed answer to most of the stuff, just pointers. Just like it should be. The answer to the Decklan's question is that Joey "uses Podfarm for everything guitar related" was one of the first questions answered on this FAQ, March 13 this year. And his follow up question "where the chunkyness comes from" isn't even the same than what he really wanted to know, which is a combination of good playing + guitar tone + bass tone.

The rule "do not ask for presets/settings" should be quite clear. And like Daniel pointed out: "a lot" doesn't mean "everything"

I was talking about the guitar-related portion of the FAQ, and particularly about the old "Joey" patch that you were referencing. I feel this was obvious given the context.

Saying that Joey uses PODfarm for guitar tones is like saying that Andy Sneap uses amplifiers for his. It's a given, and it gives zero information.

Not to mention that him asking about signal chain within PODfarm, which is really no different from asking about a signal chain in real life given the amount of options within the plugin, HARDLY counts as "asking for presets/settings."

If you want to be hard-line and bull-headed with your moderation, at least be consistent and logical in your application of it.

I was talking about the guitar-related portion of the FAQ, and particularly about the old "Joey" patch that you were referencing. I feel this was obvious given the context.

Saying that Joey uses PODfarm for guitar tones is like saying that Andy Sneap uses amplifiers for his. It's a given, and it gives zero information.

Not to mention that him asking about signal chain within PODfarm, which is really no different from asking about a signal chain in real life given the amount of options within the plugin, HARDLY counts as "asking for presets/settings."

If you want to be hard-line and bull-headed with your moderation, at least be consistent and logical in your application of it.

god i suck at talking. +1

and im talking about the GUITAR chunk, not the mix chunk, especially obvious in the solo GUITAR parts

Like I said, the OP answers a lot of questions, but not all.

How about reading the link in the FAQ that reads "Answer on his signal chain" that was asked on the initial set of questions for the FAQ? On that particular question I asked does he still use the TS > Cali > Threadplate > 87 mic guitar chain and Joey answered:

"I have found something better. and I'm not a one trick pony despite what people think. People will find 2 or 3 recordings that are similar and call me a one trick pony. The problem is they have yet to explore my discography where I have come up with many different tones or sonic characters. In short, I don't do the same thing every time."

Vague? Maybe, but if he doesn't want to answer it any more in-depth, then he most likely wont, and it's not my concern. And the no asking for presets/settings rule still applies for that exact reason, if you want to ask settings on specific albums, make a thread about them. Also this was a good tip from him.

Could you give us a reference example? As I'm not entirely sure what you mean

Guys, make a thread of your own or use PM's.

ahjteam said:
- Pans the drums from audience perspective (hihat on the right, ride on the left)
Okay that post was from early '09 and I swear he pans like everything drummer perspective lately (MMI, om&m, AA, Wcar) with the exception of zombie ep,
Also his Tom/cymbal packs seem to be panned this way just wondering if he has changed his perspective (pun ;) on the whole thing or if those are just anomalies. Thanks!

Hey Joey !

I have seen quite a few people from bands you have recorded pop up now as a producer/studio owners (Of top of my head, atleast two guys from AA).. So I was wondering.
When you have a band in, are they allowed to see your usual chain for different things (lets say your most wanted podfarm guitar chain for an example) or do you kinda hide that to protect your "secrets" (like using a rough chain when you are tracking and then using your magic plugins when you are alone mixing) ?

Tl DR: Are you making any effort in hiding some of your workflow and secrets from the public eyes in RL ?