Joey Sturgis FAQ

active pickups for bass, almost always

active pickups for metal riffs, passive pick ups for regular chords / run of the mill breakdowns

sometimes active pickups can be too much, too edgy, too harsh for general music.
sometimes that's good for certain styles of music.

So, I've always been most impressed with Joey's production work.. Don't get me wrong, his mixes are really good and all, but what really gets me when I hear a band he works with is his cleaver producing.

So, Joey, I'm REALLY interested in what you do when it comes to producing.. Where do you start? Do you have bands just come there before the album has begun recording and have them play what they have or something? Or do they typically record their pre pro stuff on their own, and you guys collab via email until you actually meet? Where the fuck do you come up with some of your ideas and how much of a song that you produce is something you came up with?

I also meant that you could actually read it, as almost all of the questions were answered already :)

None of my questions were answered..

The only questions people have asked so far are about his gear/mixing..

None of my questions were answered..

Oh really? Check the links in the op too:

- interview with AudioGeekZine, under subject "What is the typical production schedule for a band coming to work with you in your studio?"
- "he has listed some (old) info on the myspace page" under the topic "Important Requirements" and "requirements update"
- "If you want to record an album with Joey, email his manager Craig Ericson"

when it comes to producing.. Where do you start? Do you have bands just come there before the album has begun recording and have them play what they have or something? Or do they typically record their pre pro stuff on their own, and you guys collab via email until you actually meet? Where the fuck do you come up with some of your ideas and how much of a song that you produce is something you came up with?

and the last line is the only one that hasn't been answered, but my guess is: out of his head. or then he steals. :loco:

edit: his answers are below :)

So, I've always been most impressed with Joey's production work.. Don't get me wrong, his mixes are really good and all, but what really gets me when I hear a band he works with is his cleaver producing.

So, Joey, I'm REALLY interested in what you do when it comes to producing.. Where do you start? Do you have bands just come there before the album has begun recording and have them play what they have or something? Or do they typically record their pre pro stuff on their own, and you guys collab via email until you actually meet? Where the fuck do you come up with some of your ideas and how much of a song that you produce is something you came up with?

Actually, all of the above. It almost seems that every band is a different situation, so it depends. Generally, they'll come in with what is the best they could do, and we'll start from there. I will gradually introduce changes into the songs.. so it doesn't happen all at once. Sometimes 90% of a song might be finished, and we'll cut a part in the arrangement. So any type of change can happen at any time.

I require demo's to work with a band. Requiring a demo takes care of a lot of stuff like...

1. the band will have to come up with tempo's, and will probably discover early tempo problems on their own. this knocks out a lot of "oops this song is too fast" studio moments

2. vocals will be better planned

3. they'll be able to hear their own music played back to them without having to play it. sounds weird but its true, if you're playing the song it sounds different to you than when you're hearing the song.

and for the ideas...

a lot of the time the stuff i come up with is stuff i actually hear when i'm listening to the song. i'll play it back and think that i hear something. kinda like i'm going crazy or something. and then i'll try whatever i can to actually put that in there. other times its just being able to analyze what everyone's doing, break it down, dissect it and figure out what it needs. i think a big part of producing is just simply knowing what you want to hear, but in a way that is versatile. you need to be able to want to hear things in a way that favors the band's originality.

I have another FAQ question for you Joey - I asked about synths used before... found out Vanguard is pretty awesome for all those synth leads and trancey sounds. That plus having NI Massive should handle all that for me.
Now my main question comes with not quite as synthy stuff - bells, piano, strings... From what I hear Strings are from Symphobia. I'll have to find something different than that, but since I'm not like recording an orchestra, I believe I'll be fine.
But what about piano? Bells? Or organs? What do you use for less synthy sounds such as this? Thank you very much :)

typically... at which volume do you record your guitars... as well as if you had to choose would you use the psp vintage warmer or the TSL saturator... or neither?

di input should be as loud as you can get without peaking (while having the guitar player make the loudest sound possible on the guitar) then turned down just a hair under that

as far as track volume... well that's relative. relative to the kick its usually minus a decibel if the dynamics are smoothed out. it depends on a lot of things. if your chugs are louder than chords in your guitar tone, then you won't be able to set the volume properly, for example.

and to answer the second question, neither.

di input should be as loud as you can get without peaking (while having the guitar player make the loudest sound possible on the guitar) then turned down just a hair under that

as far as track volume... well that's relative. relative to the kick its usually minus a decibel if the dynamics are smoothed out. it depends on a lot of things. if your chugs are louder than chords in your guitar tone, then you won't be able to set the volume properly, for example.

and to answer the second question, neither.

Thanks Joey... your the man

Hey joey,

Are your primary os/recording/sampling/mixing computers PC's or Macs and what are your thoughts on both?

Also, how did you go about acquiring the comps that you use day in and day out, did you build them yourself or buy them OEM... and if so who builds them for you?

Finally, what OS do you use?

Hey Joey !
Do you have some tips on how to use c4 with pod, especially with chugs, mine always sound boomy with little sustain even if i increase the gain :(

Thanks in advance, congrats for the vanisher mix its sound awesome !!