"The" Joey Sturgis snare

Sep 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ok guys, I've noticed that the snare on Of Mice & Men's The Flood album has the exact same snare sample as Miss May I's Monument album. Is that the 12a snare everyone talks about? Does he blend it in with any other samples?

Another thing.

I've noticed his snare has a nice "smack" sound. But it also has a thick body and snaps. How can I achieve this sound with eq? Any tips on processing snares in general? How do you process your snares? And tips?

Also it sounds like he uses (if even at all) a tiny bit of reverb. It sounds like he just uses the Z4's. What do u think?

I dunno. Sounds like pretty typical joey type snares...should be attainable from slate drums. The key to the smack isn't really EQing the snare. It's more of EQing the mix to allow space for the crack. There's probably a little bit of room sound, but i doubt any reverb was added. If so, it has a pretty short decay.

joey has said ...countless times that the snare "sound" comes from transient designer and clipping... yes, also eq'ing (boosting) 200hz helps too.

he has also said he only uses reverb for "an effect". but i'm sure it's not always the same processing on every band he works with.

dude, you have to search! i know these things are on the forum over 100 times.

Tim,you'll never stop saying it!ahahahahah lol.there's no the snare of joey sturgis..if you gave to Joey the worst snare in the world,probably he' be able to make it sound awesome..dude it's not the snare,it's the processing of it...transint and gclip or t racks clip and reverb..eq...but with 'em maybe you'll not be able to reach his sound...TRY TO MAKE YOUR SOUND,not the sound of someone else!

Ok guys, I've noticed that the snare on Of Mice & Men's The Flood album has the exact same snare sample as Miss May I's Monument album. Is that the 12a snare everyone talks about? Does he blend it in with any other samples?

Okay, well firstly, that isn't true; they sound like different snares. Monument is the $5 "Joey Sturgis" snare sample on his site (possibly blended with another sample), The Flood is 11a.

I've noticed his snare has a nice "smack" sound. But it also has a thick body and snaps. How can I achieve this sound with eq?

Sculpt everything else around it.

And finally, there's a hell of a lot of threads on this, so like Tim said, search.

if you gave to Joey the worst snare in the world,probably he' be able to make it sound awesome

If by "make it sound awesome" you mean replace it with a better sounding sample.
A shit snare with a ton of eq, compression and transient designer is still a shit snare. Even if you're Joey Sturgis.

If by "make it sound awesome" you mean replace it with a better sounding sample.
A shit snare with a ton of eq, compression and transient designer is still a shit snare. Even if you're Joey Sturgis.

obviously you don't have to take to the letter my whole sentence..the meaning was "it doesn't matter what snare,but how you mix the snare"!!!

lol Nico that is so wrong. It DEFINITELY matters what snare.By your logic we'd all be playing encore guitars through behringer amps with stagg drum kits and using cooledit pro because we can just 'mix it better'.

Slate snares are already processed to hell and back, it's usually a matter of plonking them in the track and it's done, add some reverb and a tiny bit of EQ and it fits. A raw snare usually needs a lot more than that, and a crap raw snare would need a miracle.