Joey Sturgis Snare use-Cover critique

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
I don't know if I'm allowed to post songs I made here. It wasn't stated, or I might of missed it.

However, here is a song I covered of A Day To Remember called "Start the Shooting". I posted this in the Andy Sneap forum for rating, but on this forum, I would like critiquing solely on the guitar and snare. The guitars were recorded using Pod Farm and the snare is from Joey Sturgis. Hopefully Joey will check it out and give me some tips considering it is his snare and I used the same method he does for guitars, but all are welcome for critiquing.

Thanks! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently on average headphones so I can't tell a lot, but am on my way into the studio so I'll have a proper listen. First thing I would recommend is to blend some different samples with that snare, maybe one of the fatter slate snares and something with a lot of snare bottom (try the old zep snare) the sound's not bad at the moment but every hit to me just screams "JOEY STURGIS SNARE DRUM," which isn't neccessairily a bad thing I think you could just get a lot more depth and character in that snare by blending samples.

I assume the Drums are programmed? If so try and sort out the velocities on some of those snare fills. Its a tad robotic

Also what are you using for snare verb? Sounds good but the tail is quite long, all the time. Try automating different reverbs to create some distinction and color. For example you don't want that big long verb ringing out over the faster parts, but in the half time bits it's sweet!

I'm currently on average headphones so I can't tell a lot, but am on my way into the studio so I'll have a proper listen. First thing I would recommend is to blend some different samples with that snare, maybe one of the fatter slate snares and something with a lot of snare bottom (try the old zep snare) the sound's not bad at the moment but every hit to me just screams "JOEY STURGIS SNARE DRUM," which isn't neccessairily a bad thing I think you could just get a lot more depth and character in that snare by blending samples.

I assume the Drums are programmed? If so try and sort out the velocities on some of those snare fills. Its a tad robotic

Also what are you using for snare verb? Sounds good but the tail is quite long, all the time. Try automating different reverbs to create some distinction and color. For example you don't want that big long verb ringing out over the faster parts, but in the half time bits it's sweet!

Yeah I've been getting better with velocities. Back then it sounded 100% fake and robotic. I'm getting there. I do have a lot of Joey's diff articulations so I will deff put them into more use. And back then, (and by back then I mean a year ago when i was fairly new) i thought long reverbed snares were cool, so to me this new mix sounds better because i set the reverberation like all the way down, but I will deff take all of your advice into consideration. Thanks for listening/helping. :D