Would Joey ever consider using real amps?

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
Just something I've been wondering. I know most of the time Joey is working to an impossibly tight schedule and it's much faster to open up an instance of pod farm than it is to set up a bunch of amps and spend time mic'ing them up.

But given the time and budget on a project, would Joey consider using real amps and cabs? I understand his whole work flow and mixing techniques seem to have been built around the use of amp sims, but I've always thought that with the tones he can get out of pod farm it would be awesome to hear what Joey can get out of a real amp.

Is this something you've considered Joey? Or do you actually prefer using amp sims for reasons other than time constraints?

not a big fan of how real amps sound because you have to mic them, and mic direction, distance, angle plays too big a role in the tone

That's part of the fun though. I bet if you got a 5150/6505 and a Mesa 4x12 OS that you'd be surprised how easy it is to dial in great tones, although I'm sure you have the POD stuff down to a science by now...

It's all personal preference, personally I can get a better tone (subjectively) with a real amp and cab, so can most people.

Joey prefers working with a pod, so he does. You don't have to use a pod to get a big modern metal production, use whatever suits you.

not a big fan of how real amps sound because you have to mic them, and mic direction, distance, angle plays too big a role in the tone

I use podfarm, but when I get my studio together, so where I am not stuck in this dorm, I would like to expand. Joey, great respect to you man, you do excellent with your stuff. Have you ever tried micing? probably have, but you just couldn't get the great tone, or you got it but still didn't like it?

What? You attacking me because you dont agree with Joey? And cant say jack to him or you'll get banned. Go troll somewhere else

no he is "attacking" you because you +1 every fuckin post that's made by joey
or someone who's asking anything about a joey production.

you litter up the forum. when joey writes something, read it, learn from
it or post a reply that has any fucking kind of CONTENT but not a
damn +1 every damn time you post!

no offense dude, it's just annoying as fuck!

cheers
S.

And if it's a great queastion that you always wanted to know the answer to , subscribe to the thread don't pointlessly post on things. That's why the subscribe button was made!

no he is "attacking" you because you +1 every fuckin post that's made by joey
or someone who's asking anything about a joey production.

you litter up the forum. when joey writes something, read it, learn from
it or post a reply that has any fucking kind of CONTENT but not a
damn +1 every damn time you post!

no offense dude, it's just annoying as fuck!

cheers
S.

Dude, my post reply to rating ratio is like 6:1 so i +1 coz i thought the same think as somebody else, so saying im littering the forum is Bull, why should i repeat what somebody else says? Besides this is a forum, not a essay. Some ppl on here take it way to serious, GOSH!

I give as well as take advice on UMF.
If i were a guest apposed to my Premium membership, i would totally understand!
So i do take offence

Dude, my post reply to rating ratio is like 6:1 so i +1 coz i thought the same think as somebody else, so saying im littering the forum is Bull, why should i repeat what somebody else says? Besides this is a forum, not a essay. Some ppl on here take it way to serious, GOSH!

I give as well as take advice on UMF.
If i were a guest apposed to my Premium membership, i would totally understand!
So i do take offence

+1 ;)

it's interesting... i think amp sims have come so far today that the difference is negligible (depending on the software).

and typically the people that feel they need to stir up fuss about sim vs. real ...are people with a lot of time on their hands (in my experience).

one of the studios i wank around in has 3 or 4 old' schoolers that still mic up guitar cabs... but their client base is really low and their time between clients is several weeks. =\

personally, i feel like there is so little of a difference now that there should be less complaints ...but there seems to be more? :guh:

i guess running around a studio, wrapping/taping cables is still fun, but i'd rather sit my lazy-butt down and thumb through a bunch of modeled amps/cabs.

ps... it's nice and quiet on this forum, no fighting. ;)

Haha + 1 Tim!

I personally do both depending on the project, budget and time constraints. The last mix I did ended up being Pod Farm due to the band being from Singapore and not having any reasonable backline available. The band I'm doing currently is a really dirty local southern rock band, which is going to have JCM800 all over it.

Its topics like this that really shouldn't dissolve into whinge fests but they always do, as I said before. Try everything! Hearing 1 million people tell you to do something on a forum means squat compared to personal experience, and at least to me finding out practically is a lot more fun!

one of the studios i wank around in has 3 or 4 old' schoolers that still mic up guitar cabs... but their client base is really low and their time between clients is several weeks. =

To be honest the fact that they mic up cabs and don't use pod farm isn't likely to have anything to do with why they're not fully booked. Just like Joey using pod farm isn't the reason he is fully booked for a good year or so in advance.

To be honest the fact that they mic up cabs and don't use pod farm isn't likely to have anything to do with why they're not fully booked. Just like Joey using pod farm isn't the reason he is fully booked for a good year or so in advance.

Maybe because I use both real amps and sims is why I'm only booked half of the time :O