Laney amps, how are they?

bball_1523

Nov 23, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
to those that have Laney amps, how are they? How is the clean and distortion? Do you guys have soundclips by any chance?

Also what type of Laney amp do you all have and how much did they cost?

I know there have been threads made about this, but I can't find them because the search feature is disabled and google won't find any for me.

mh, i dont have any laney amp but there are pretty different models. which one are you talking about? the guitar amps? bass amps? the ones opeth use, or in general and stuff...

i'd like to have a laney vc-30 which basically class A all valves amp which sounds damn sweet! but i heard it's about 800€ which is too much for me...

im actually not a Laney fan at all really. Ive played through several of their models, and just wasnt that impressed.

I prefer fender or bad cat amps...although bad cats are quite pricey.

is bad cat some amp-luthier or smth?

and how are you getting a nice metal tone out of some fender amp anyway? i mean even with a preamp or distortion stompbox i've never heard a fenderamp sounding truly metal...?
i agree on fender being great when it comes to blues or clean sounds...

I have a little Marshall amp.. It's nice but my guitars are staticy... i guess cause my cables suck, I wanna go wireless. What's this Boss Gt-6 though? I'd like to know more about it cause I like distorty. :D

Oinkness said:
I have a little Marshall amp.. It's nice but my guitars are staticy... i guess cause my cables suck, I wanna go wireless. What's this Boss Gt-6 though? I'd like to know more about it cause I like distorty. :D

The GT-6 is a very complete multi effect processor.
It's successor, the GT-8 is even nicer :)
Opeth also use the GT-6 (maybe GT-8 now??)

I own the Boss ME30 and is also quite nice, but sucks compared to the GT-6

I played Peter's model, which had a distorted sound that sounded like ass at low volumes. The cleans were nice.

My school stocks Laneys so I guess I'll see in a few weeks when I get around to recording people how they actually sound in a mix or by themselves.

I own a Laney VC30, and it kicks my ass. I have a band that plays lots of double guitar stuff, and both me and the other guy use same pedals and presets, and he plays through some ss crate amp, and my Laney kicks his ass very much, it just has a very warm and rich tone when boosted with whatever distortion you like. Without any other pedals it can reach a great distorted tone comparable almost identically to early Black Sabbath, and the cleans are very remniscent of a VOXAC30 which kicks ass. Im very happy with it. Oh, and I paid about $320 for it used, which is a killer deal methinks.

yah, the vc30 is sweet. i love mine. what kind of tubes and speakers do you have in yours leper? i've heard that jj's sound marvelous in this amp...they take away the annoying, grainy, and piercing upper mids which seems to be this amps only downfall. (which is only a problem when its dimed)

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
is bad cat some amp-luthier or smth?

and how are you getting a nice metal tone out of some fender amp anyway? i mean even with a preamp or distortion stompbox i've never heard a fenderamp sounding truly metal...?
i agree on fender being great when it comes to blues or clean sounds...

its easy....i dont play metal. ;)

but if i ever do feel like jamming something metalish or whatnot, i use a BOSS-OD20...which has dozens of amp distortion models of all types.

i picked up a marshall tsl122 a couple years ago for $1500 used (practically brand new cond.) and i couldn't be happier, great lead tone and warm cleans...

I got a Line 6 Spider II head. I like it's versatlilty. I know I could get that with the GT-6, but I didn't want to depend on floor petals any more.

Well so far im fairly happy with my VC50, i actually bought a weber attenuator a couple weeks ago to get a cranked sound. The bottom end can get really loose with 6l6/5881 tubes, so i bought a pair of svetlana EL34s not long ago and it does get a little tighter, and the distortion has more clarity and its smoother. I still havent been able to play it at high volumes, so maybe thats why the bass is still so loose.