Laney amps, how are they?

Ive got the stock british laney speakers in mine, it's actually a 2x10 combo, and it's got some kind of tubes, not sure which, some EL84 or whatever, Im sorry, Im not very tube knowledgeable, but Ill learn when these bad boys need changing out.

mh, why a 100+ watt amp? i mean i can be easily louder than our drummer with 60 watts and if you have some gig the signal will over go over the PA anyway (dunno a better fitting english term for it). also you wont be able to use a 100+ w anp outside your band really because you have to play at higher volumes til it sounds good.

think about it...

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
mh, why a 100+ watt amp? i mean i can be easily louder than our drummer with 60 watts and if you have some gig the signal will over go over the PA anyway (dunno a better fitting english term for it). also you wont be able to use a 100+ w anp outside your band really because you have to play at higher volumes til it sounds good.

think about it...

well I'll have to test the amps for sure to fing out whether 100 watt amps work well for practice or not. I'd rather have it just in case I do jam with people often.

I tested a spider 100+ watt at a lower volume and it didn't sound that bad. I heard everything, but the distortion wasn't my taste. Maybe it the distortion settings that threw me off.

Thats cause its solid state.. with SS you always run the risk of it sounding like crap no matter what, cause thats just what you get. My VC50 will blow your head off with the volume over 4, especially at practice. Hell ive put it at 2 in my room here and it hurts my ears after a few seconds of playing (on the distortion chan). 100 watts is totally unneccesary for practice unless its SS.

A 50 watt tube amp gets about as loud as a 150 watt ss amp. Or so I'm told.

How much do those vc50's run for? Seems like laney makes a good amp for the price.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Ive got the stock british laney speakers in mine, it's actually a 2x10 combo, and it's got some kind of tubes, not sure which, some EL84 or whatever, Im sorry, Im not very tube knowledgeable, but Ill learn when these bad boys need changing out.

well, i haven't done it yet...but check out www.eurotubes.com - look at the comparison section...the laney comes stock with sovteks...and a lot of my amps problems match the poor review given on those tubes.

Death's Acre said:
A 50 watt tube amp gets about as loud as a 150 watt ss amp. Or so I'm told.

that is about correct. bball, i tell ya, i am louder than our freaking drummer with 60 valve amps without even being near the maximum volume of the amp.

if you want to go solid state (which i seriously wouldnt recommend) you should go for at least 100 w

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
that is about correct. bball, i tell ya, i am louder than our freaking drummer with 60 valve amps without even being near the maximum volume of the amp.

if you want to go solid state (which i seriously wouldnt recommend) you should go for at least 100 w

Yeah, I'd think that 60 valve amps would be louder than 1 drumkit :)

^hehe

when i practiced with a drummer and bassist with my 100w all-tube the volume was on like 3 most of the time. i played (small) gigs with it not even halfway.

[KOTNO]Narrot said:

What's wrong with solid state? That's what I've been wanting since I heard tubes don't sound as good at low volumes and for practice.

I use a Laney GH100 L. this is the same as mikeals i believe. same cab too. and they are very nice amps, really meaty when turned up loud. unfortunatley when quiet, like all valve amps, you dont get the best effect. regardless of this an extremely worth while purchase.