guitarists question: opeth sound/gear

fadingessence

All is Lost
Feb 7, 2003
Riverside, CA
Visit site
I'm just kinda curious how they do their live sound, I went to the LA show and got a good look at mikael's equip and to me it looked like it was just a boss gt-3 into a jcm900. He wasn't even using amp distortion, the only switching he had was on the gt-3 (and a 900 probably isn't enough anyway). So anyone had success getting Opeth's sound out of a gt-3 setup like that? I get awful close with my laney gh50l, but it would be a lot easier to have my setup similar to mikes...only having to switch on the gt-3 for clean and effects ect.

very well could have been...I couldn't tell which it was. But basically it was a one channel amp so I figure they had to be using the dist on the pedal as opposed to amp distortion like I thought.

sounded damn good in any case.

I think it was just a GT3 and a single channel marshall jcm900 head, at least at the cleveland show. I believe the GT3 was used for all the sounds, and ran into the effects loop/power amp in section of the 900.

In that guitar.com video lesson they mention the GT3

To set the record straight, Mikael's main sound is coming from the GT3 and his own personal patches that he's created and saved on the GT3. The Marshall JCM800s (which they used on the tour) and any other amp they use (in the studio) is just being used for the power section. I know this is correct because I spoke to Mikael himself and he told me this. The GT3 is his baby. He uses it for all of his sounds; clean, overdrive, effects, etc.