Opeth’s Equipment Thread

you cant really do much with an mg, i used to have one and i can honestly say they are one of the worst amps ever made. the distortion is utterly horrible so i doubt you would be able get anything near an opeth guitar tone. you may be able to get a clean tone reminiscent of opeth mind you. just play around with it and if you can.........get a better amp.

I have an mg15cdr. The overdrive sucks, megasucks. (as in all practice amps). I agree that you can't get opeth tones with that.

Peters rack at the Roundhouse:

peters_rack.jpg

/d.

I don't think Peter and Mike use GT6/8 for drive (lead?) sound because when with a have a Laney Vh100R or GH100L, which is a high-gain guitar amp, COSM technology of Boss is very ridiculous...

I think tehey just use these multi-fx for chorus, delay etc, but the drive sound is only the amp with maybe (certainly) delay and other effect to have a "bigger" sound.

@Lamentation: Why do you come no more on msn? I would like to speak with you about GT8 (I try actually to sell my GT3 because there's no "LOOP" :cry: )

I don't think Peter and Mike use GT6/8 for drive (lead?) sound because when with a have a Laney Vh100R or GH100L, which is a high-gain guitar amp, COSM technology of Boss is very ridiculous...

I think tehey just use these multi-fx for chorus, delay etc, but the drive sound is only the amp with maybe (certainly) delay and other effect to have a "bigger" sound.

@Lamentation: Why do you come no more on msn? I would like to speak with you about GT8 (I try actually to sell my GT3 because there's no "LOOP" :cry: )

I really think they DO use only GT6/8 drive, live. In live clips, we never see the "red light" on, it is always on the clean channel. Plus, Peter already said it I think. I prefer the sound of the Laney because I can't seem to get such a nice sound at a high volume but they actually really use the gt-8.

Yeah, there was an interview where Peter flat out said "everything comes from the pedalboard. the laney's are left on the clean channel". wish i could find it

I've always wanted to know these two things:

- Which neck profile (regular or wide thin) do Mikael and Peter have on their PRS Custom 24's?? I've tried to figure it out, but haven't found a pic that helped me ^^' I'm very interested, 'cause I'm planning on buying a PRS (Custom 24 or CE 24, depends of the budget ^^') as soon as possible.

- Which pickups did they have on their Jackson Randy Rhoads? Stock (so that means Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz) or did they changed them? Again, I haven't found a proper pic of it T.T

Isn't it the Fender Stratocaster 1975 (Black)?

I've always wanted to know these two things:

- Which neck profile (regular or wide thin) do Mikael and Peter have on their PRS Custom 24's?? I've tried to figure it out, but haven't found a pic that helped me ^^' I'm very interested, 'cause I'm planning on buying a PRS (Custom 24 or CE 24, depends of the budget ^^') as soon as possible.

- Which pickups did they have on their Jackson Randy Rhoads? Stock (so that means Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz) or did they changed them? Again, I haven't found a proper pic of it T.T

I think that the neck profile is the regular one, I'm not sure though.
Hum... They don't play with Jackson's anymore, I can't remember either.

=> you should try to practice with some different neck profile to know what is the best for you, for your fingers, for your way of playing.

=> Good question...maybe they have also set up SD SH10 (full shred) on their RR1, like with some PRS guitars

=> you should try to practice with some different neck profile to know what is the best for you, for your fingers, for your way of playing.

agreed. buying an exactly similar guitar as your idol might sound cool but it's really a way more better idea to buy one that suits your playing best.

I know, but it's just that in my local shop they only have a CE 24, so I can't try the regular neck. But I think I'd prefer it, 'cause I'm used to play with Les Pauls and that kind of necks ^^'

About the RR pickups... it's possible that they were Full Shred's. On the Orchid booklet, on Peter's pic, the neck pickup polepieces look black to me, but not sure :p