Porcupine Tree: Info on their equipment inside

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
As I promised to post this last week here is a list of equipment used by Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree in his “No Man’s Land” Home Recording Studio (where all Porcupine Tree albums are produced) along with some quotes of a recent interview. If you find things you don’t understand (due to poor translation) or if you need further information feel free to ask. Have fun. :)

No Man’s Land: Recording Equipment

Computer:
Apple G5 (4 x 2,5GHz, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.4.8)

Recording Software:
Apple Logic Pro 7
“I know it. Logic accompanies me as long as I work with computers. It’s the language I speak.” (On the question what he likes about the program.)

Plug-Ins:
Focusrite D2 & D3
“You can hear this Equalizer/Compressor on every Porcupine-Tree-Track.”
Line 6 Echo Farm & Amp Farm
“I use Line 6 Echo Farm do simulate Analog-Delays. I don’t like Reverb. I prefer Delays in combination with a Lowpass.”
“I often send guitars or even keyboards through the Amp Farm by Line 6.”
Waves C1 Parametric Compander & L1-Ultramaximizer
“The L1-Limiter is essential for me when it comes to Mastering.”
Bomb Factory Voce Spin

Preamps/Interfaces:
Apogee Trak 2 & Rosetta 800

Monitors:
Quested H108
“It doesn’t matter which speakers you have in your studio, even if they are total crap. It’s only important to know how they change the sound of your music.”
Genelec 8030A

Mics:
Neumann U 87
“I always use this mic for vocals almost since the beginning of my career. The signal goes into the Trak 2. In the computer I filter everything below 150 Hz with the D2 followed by a D3 usually in Flatline-Mode. That’s it. Simple but effective.”
“The Neumann U 87 is the only Highend-mic in my studio.”
Shure SM-58

No Man’s Land: Instruments

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
PRS Custom 22

Guitar-Outboard:
Line 6 POD xt, POD 2.0 & Echo Pro
“60 percent of my guitars go straight into the Line 6 POD.”

Amps:
Various Marshalls
“For the remaining 40 percent of my guitar recordings (mostly metal stuff) I use a Marshall into a 4x12 cab miced with a Shure SM-58.”
Bad Cat Hot Cat

Software-Instruments:
Emagic EVP 88 & EXS 24 (incl. Mellotron-Library)

Keys:
C.-Becke-Piano
Fender Rhodes
Hammond XK-2

Even though Steve Wilson is a self-confessed control freak he keeps out of the drum recording process which is handled by Porcupine Tree’s drummer Gavin Harrison at his own studio.

Drum mics:
Audix D6 (Kickdrum)
Audix I5 (Snare Top)
Shure SM-57 (Snare Bottom)
Electro-Voice 408 (Toms)
AKG CK391 (Hi-Hat)
Royer 122 (Overheads)
Neumann 103 (Room, close)
Schoeps CMC5 (Room, distant)

Drumset:
Sonor Designer
Kick: 22” x 17”
Snare: Sonor Black Steel, 14” x 5”
Toms: 8” x 8”, 10” x 8”, 12” x 9”, 14” x 12”, 16” x 14”
Cymbals: Zildjian 14”-Oriental-China-Trash, 13”-K-Hi-Hats, 19”-K-Crash, 8”-EFX, 15”-A-Custom-Crash, 20”-K-Ride, 18”-A-Custom-Crash, 12”-Oriental-China-Trash, 18”-A-Custom-China

Various hints:
There is no EQing whatsoever during the recording of the drums.
Gavin is still evaluating the two Audix mics.
Drums are recorded with two Rosetta-800-Interfaces by Apogee into a Mac G5 with Apple Logic Pro 7.
“It pays of to pull the Room-tracks a few milliseconds back so that they are parallel to the close mics.” (Gavin uses an over dimensioned room).

Yeah it does... which goes to show, what knowing how to actually use shit, can do.. lol

well even if you think so SW manages to put out some killer records with great production so whatev.

I don't just "think so". That's pretty much the general concensus for anyone with Pro Tools HD/TDM experience. It's obvious that he uses them on the vox, and they would definitely sound a lot better if he used something else. There's nothing that those two plugs do that others (Waves, McDSP, etc.) can't do better. Vocals is where most people miss the mark - and they usually don't realize it. But yeah, overall their stuff sounds good. "Great"... don't know about that one.

I don't just "think so". That's pretty much the general concensus for anyone with Pro Tools HD/TDM experience. It's obvious that he uses them on the vox, and they would definitely sound a lot better if he used something else. There's nothing that those two plugs do that others (Waves, McDSP, etc.) can't do better. Vocals is where most people miss the mark - and they usually don't realize it. But yeah, overall their stuff sounds good. "Great"... don't know about that one.

m'kay.

Damnit, I need a mellotron VSTi. I'm used to hearing it in old Led Zeppelin, but PT's and Opeth's recent stuff really have me interested in mellotrons.

Haha, last night (before I even knew this thread existed) I recorded a cover of the first part of "The Sound of Muzak" to test out my new LDC on acoustic guitar and vox. :p In Absentia is almost the gold standard to me as far as what an album should sound like. I don't think that album was recorded at No Man's Land, though.

:p In Absentia is almost the gold standard to me as far as what an album should sound like. I don't think that album was recorded at No Man's Land, though.
You're right, it wasn't. It was recorded at Avatar Studios in New York and mixed by Tim Palmer (U2, Pearl Jam, Ozzy, ...).
Steve Wilson said:
"'In Absentia' sounds awesome, no question but I'm a control-freak. Others might have good ideas and they might also know how to realize them. But their ideas are not mine. By the way I think that I can mix just as good like any of the top guys.
I'm glad you like the thread by the way. Finally I can give something back to you guys that doesn't require years of experience. :)

Why the smartass comment? I'm actually trying to share some knowledge with you. "M'kay" sounds uber-geigh too. Have you ever used or even knowingly heard the D2/D3? They actually are bundled with Pro Tools HD, if that tells you anything.... I, myself, have been forced to use D2/D3 (because we didn't have any other plugins) on a record that went double platinum. A plugin isn't gonna stop a great performance, but once we got Waves Platinum the shitty Focusrite plugs didn't get anymore airtime.

Why the smartass comment? I'm actually trying to share some knowledge with you. "M'kay" sounds uber-geigh too. Have you ever used or even knowingly heard the D2/D3? They actually are bundled with Pro Tools HD, if that tells you anything.... I, myself, have been forced to use D2/D3 (because we didn't have any other plugins) on a record that went double platinum. A plugin isn't gonna stop a great performance, but once we got Waves Platinum the shitty Focusrite plugs didn't get anymore airtime.

lol good lord. take a chill pill. i said mkay because we had different opinions on how PT productions sound. i didnt want to start shit...obviously you do. anyway.

The last one? Well I guess he wanted more control over his records after In Absentia. That's all I can read from that and that's the whole quote not just an excerpt so I know as much as you! ;)