Starting up a studio! Need help with Equipment.

Just an update, I found and bought a Studio RTA Producer Desk on craigslist used for 225... It was an awesome day. Now, I just need to start filling that thing up (with things I will use, of course). I am still having a hard time figuring out which preamp to get. I am still leaning towards the Focusrite Octo pre but someone I had talked to said that I should heavily consider a tube preamp. Could I get a Focusrite and use a couple one channel tube preamps for whatever I need? Any advice on this matter?

Yes, cuz having a middle-ground interface with middle-ground converters would make that a totally logical purchase :Smug:

FMR Audio has two units, a compressor and a preamp, that are really great for the money. Like....really good. RNC = Really Nice Compressor, and RNP = Really Nice Preamp.

~006

Ah, thanks for that. Would you consider the Focusrite Octopre to be really good? I have heard that it isn't worth buying because it is too similar to the Pro Tools 002 preamps and I should get a tube pre.

I had an OctoPre coupled with my old 002R and it was OK. Nothing stellar, but it got the job done - much like the 002's pres. Some of the best preamps in the industry are not tube. Vintech's Neve clones, Manley, True Systems Precision 8, Crane Song, Great River...I mean the list goes on. None of those are tube but they are some of the most sought after preamps. Tube preamps are cool, I've worked with and owned Avalon VT-737sp preamps and while they were great and I may end up getting another some day in the future, they weren't necessarily better than any of the ss preamps that I have used or owned. Every preamp has it's own character, except when you start paying less money for them then they are just more and more transparent. Unless you are using some really great mics and in a good room, through good converters...I wouldn't say a tube preamp is the best route. Even if you did have great mics and a good room, tube pres aren't the best route. In my experience with tube preamps you are going to pay a lot of money for a lot less quantity. A single or even a dual mono tube pre can run pretty high ($2k), meanwhile you can get an 8-channel preamp for the same price and it honestly sounds just as good...maybe a little less colored or not quite as warm.

~006

Don't skimp on monis and mics! Your monitors and your mics are the most important pieces of gear. I would not trust my hard work to a pair of behringer monis. NO WAY! Definately have a 57 or two, for guitar and snare, and get the SM7. Great studio mic for vox. At least, start out with some kind of good LDC and a pop filter for vox and acoustic. I started out with a cheap $200 condensor mic and worked my way up to the good shit. High end preamps and comps should come later, after you know you want an SSL console.:heh:

And get the "Mixing Engineers Handbook"

I know, I'm in the same boat - basically, I'm waiting on hearing back from the place I wanna get a paid internship from this summer; if I get it, I'm going for the A7's at $1000 a pair (though I'm sure Sweetwater.com will cut me a deal), and if I don't, I'm going for the Yamaha MSP5's at $500 a pair, which will serve as fucking killer reference monitors even after I upgrade

Sounds good. Well keep me updated on here and let me know what happens! Also, I am beginning to think that having a sub is really going to be important in mixing. Is it alright to use a sub that isn't made to go with monitors? I mean, suppose I have a Fostex sub with M-Audio monitors. Would this work alright?

get 8 inch monitors instead of a sub man. i mix without subs. theres a lot of other people on here that do the same without problems. i have a pair of m audio bx8as and absolutely love them. do whatever you can to get off of those behringer monitors though....

So, are you building your computer yourself? Just curious as I'm always throwing one together.
I'd definitely go quad core. This will be your best bet for multitasking and hi load recording apps. Intel Q6600, I'd strongly consider aqua cooling as well. (I can recommend a route on that too)
If you go DDR3 route, that is where the cost will be as the mbo's and the ram are running into the hundreds but you still could likely get by on a better budget than what you alotted and possibly get some better monitors. Monitors are crucial, but so is acoustical treatment to your room, so don't skimp on that. In reviewing some monitors myself as I'm in the market same as you...I heard good on the Events.

I'm just putting my studio together too. I ended up getting a RTA creation station.