Opeth’s Equipment Thread

DDarkie

♫ Sara ♪
Aug 14, 2006
Lisbon, Portugal
This is all the info that I have about their gear, if u have something to add, tell me, please. This isn’t all their equipment, of course, but it’s what I’ve found.

Mikael Åkerfeldt

Electric Guitars:

1. PRS Custom 24 (Tortoise Shell Flame Top)
2. Gibson Flying V ('67 Reissue)
3. PRS Custom 24 (Blue Flame Top)
4. PRS Custom 24 (Black Quilt)
5. Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Black)
6. Fender Stratocaster 1975 (Black)
7. Fender Stratocaster 1972 Reissue (Black)
8. Gibson Les Paul Standard (Tobacco Sunburst)
9. B.C. Rich Mockingbird (Black)
10. PRS 22 Fret Modern Eagle (Grey Flame Top)
11. PRS Modern Eagle Single Cut 24 Fret (Wine Flame Matt Top)
12. Gibson SG Standard 1961 Reissue
13. PRS Custom 22 12-String (Black)
14. PRS Custom 22 Single Cut (Black Quilt)
15. Randy Rhoads (Used In The Orchid/Morningrise Era)

Acoustic Guitars/Classical Nylon:

1. Amalio Burguet 3am (Cedar Top)
2. PRS 12 String Custom 22 (Black).
3. PRS Modern Eagle 22 (Black Flame)
4. Amalio PRS Custom 22 (Black Flame)
5. Landola CT/2/W. Gibson SG Standard '61 Reissue

Acoustic Guitars/Steel String:

1. CF Martin 00028
2. Takamine EF385 (12string)
3. Seagull S6CW (With Fishman Pickup)
4. CF Martin 00016GT (With Fishman Pickup)

Amps:

1. Laney VC100
2. Laney VC30
3. Fender 1000 Rocpro
4. Laney GT100L With Cabinet

Effects:

1. BOSS GT-3
2. BOSS GT-6
3. BOSS GT-8

Recording Equipment:

1. Roland BR8
2. Roland BR1180CD
3. Zoom RT123 Drummachine

Peter Lindgren

Guitars:

1. Gibson SG 1991
2. PRS Singlecut Black Cherry
3. Gibson Les Paul Gibson Custom 1974
4. Randy Rhoads (Used In The Orchid/Morningrise Era)
5. PRS Custom 24 (Amber Quilt Top/Black Burst Flame)

Amps: Laney VH100R

Effects:

1. BOSS GT-5 Effect Processor
2. BOSS GT-8 (?)

Martin Mendez

Bass Guitar:

1. Fender Jazz Fretless (White)
2. Fender Jazz Bass American Series (Sunburst)
3. Fender Jazz Marcus Miller Signature Series (Natural)

Strings: D’Addario Roundwounds

Effects:

1. Boss GT-6B Bass Multi-Effect
2. Line6 Bass Multi Effect Pedal Board

Amps:

1. 8x10 Cabinet
2. AMPEG SVT Classic Head

Martin Axenrot

Drums: DW

Cymbals:

1. Sabian
2. Paiste

Drumsticks: Pro Mark

Per Wiberg

Keyboards:

1. Korg Triton
2. Nord Electro 2

Sources:

Opeth - The official site
Main Page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
www.bassplayerlive.com

By the way, does anyone knows how should I use my amp’s settings in order to achieve Peter’s and/or Mike’s guitar tone? I know that it will be different on every amp but what can I do with my Marshall MG15DFX?

Lets not forget Mendez' fretless jazzbass, used to stunning effect on Reverie/Harlequin Forest and The Grand Conjuration...

By the way, does anyone knows how should I use my amp’s settings in order to achieve Peter’s and/or Mike’s guitar tone? I know that it will be different on every amp but what can I do with my Marshall MG15DFX?

you cant really do much with an mg, i used to have one and i can honestly say they are one of the worst amps ever made. the distortion is utterly horrible so i doubt you would be able get anything near an opeth guitar tone. you may be able to get a clean tone reminiscent of opeth mind you. just play around with it and if you can.........get a better amp.

you cant really do much with an mg, i used to have one and i can honestly say they are one of the worst amps ever made. the distortion is utterly horrible so i doubt you would be able get anything near an opeth guitar tone. you may be able to get a clean tone reminiscent of opeth mind you. just play around with it and if you can.........get a better amp.

I use the MG to practice, nothing else. That amp isn't good if I wanted to play live, I know, but it's enough to practice... I guess. :rolleyes:

Anyway, imagine that I'll buy a Line 6- Considering that I just need the amp to practice- which one do u think I should buy?

mikael and peter both used to play RR's in the orchid / morningrise era.

Randy Rhoads... Thanks for the info, I'll add it to the first post. I've already seen some pics of Mikael and Peter with these guitars but I thought they were Gibsons (Flying V).

I use the MG to practice, nothing else. That amp isn't good if I wanted to play live, I know, but it's enough to practice... I guess. :rolleyes:

Anyway, imagine that I'll buy a Line 6- Considering that I just need the amp to practice- which one do u think I should buy?

I've got a Line 6 150 head and cab, don't buy that it's shit!! I wouldn't go for Line 6 in general tbh:erk: . I've also got a marshall mg15, i reckon it's decent to practice on at home if you've got a good distortion pedal, i used a boss metal zone.

I've got a Line 6 150 head and cab, don't buy that it's shit!! I wouldn't go for Line 6 in general tbh:erk: . I've also got a marshall mg15, i reckon it's decent to practice on at home if you've got a good distortion pedal, i used a boss metal zone.

Some ppl told me that the sound of Line 6 amp's is too digital, and that Marshall's sound it's better... But what about Laney's amps? Are they better than Marshall's? Do u think that I should buy a Laney instead of buying a Marshall? (And, as I said before, I just need the amp to practice).

Thanks in advance.

Some ppl told me that the sound of Line 6 amp's is too digital, and that Marshall's sound it's better... But what about Laney's amps? Are they better than Marshall's? Do u think that I should buy a Laney instead of buying a Marshall? (And, as I said before, I just need the amp to practice).

Thanks in advance.

Hi can't comment on Line 6, never heard one, as for Marshall v Laney, depends on the model I suppose.

A marshall 100 watt head against a laney hundred watt would be almost the same I guess.

Muso's say that the Marshall 50 watters are preferred because you can drive them to distort, ie clipping, some amplify a 50 watt Marshal into a hundred watt for max fx. :err:

I have a Marshall JMP50 which has 2X EL34'S and uses silicon rectification, no I don't play the guitar, :( I just mend / sevice valve amps, Hi-Fi or guitar amps, for my sins. :oops:

i think axe plays paiste....atleast last time i saw them

Ok, I'll add that too, I guess he used Sabian cymbals before. Thanks. :)

Hi can't comment on Line 6, never heard one, as for Marshall v Laney, depends on the model I suppose.

A marshall 100 watt head against a laney hundred watt would be almost the same I guess.

Muso's say that the Marshall 50 watters are preferred because you can drive them to distort, ie clipping, some amplify a 50 watt Marshal into a hundred watt for max fx. :err:

I have a Marshall JMP50 which has 2X EL34'S and uses silicon rectification, no I don't play the guitar, :( I just mend / sevice valve amps, Hi-Fi or guitar amps, for my sins. :oops:

:lol:

Yeah, ok. But if I’ll buy a Marshall it’s gonna be a MG15DFX. I was trying to compare this model to a similar model of Laney’s amps (And trying to see what was the best one).

thats a comprehensive list there. good job.

whoa... i never knew bassplayer had his own site! or a tribute or whatever. its downa t the moment:( but ill check again soon!

Thanks. :p

The site is cool but it’s down yet… :erk:

don't they use gt8?

I don’t know… To say the truth, I don’t think so (I didn’t found any information about that). But if u found something let me know, and then I’ll add to the list. :)

I have a mg15cdr.. I must agree it sucks, but for the price, what can you do.

I bought a gt6 to do the effects, though it's not like an amp it's the best I can get now

The Laney website says that Mikael uses the GH100L, Peter uses the VH100R, and Mendez uses the B3, although it's been like that for a while, so I'm not sure what they use now. I'm pretty sure that Mikael still uses the GH100L, though.

good head
Lol.

Hi !

I have a VH100R head witch a 4*42 NOS (french brand) loaded with V30 :)rock: )

I juste bought a boss GT3 FX processor and I'd like to know how can I control the channels of my head and add somme effetcs on each witch the GT3 (Like Peter and Mickael do I think)

I hope you will be able to help me !

:headbang:

Hi !

I have a VH100R head witch a 4*42 NOS (french brand) loaded with V30 :)rock: )

I juste bought a boss GT3 FX processor and I'd like to know how can I control the channels of my head and add somme effetcs on each witch the GT3 (Like Peter and Mickael do I think)

I hope you will be able to help me !

:headbang:

I think that a friend of mine has a BOSS GT-3 FX Processor but I don't know how to control it... Anyway, I think that u're asking something like what I asked in the first post of the thread... I asked how to control my amp in order to achieve Peter's guitar tone and u're asking how to control u're processor... :rolleyes: Is that it? Well, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me. :Smug: