Opeth’s Equipment Thread

after istanbul performance, i had an occasion to talk to opeth's rodi.. I asked wich pickup's are there on the prs', he said that they use seymour duncan JB(for bridge) but even mike doesn't know wich pickup do they use"..

ok hi I'm a new kid in town :)P) & would like some help: how can I get Mikael's/Peter's effects on my Zoom G2G amps .... (or at least something like it)..?

Last night i saw for the 1020202023023 time Lamentations dvd,

the sound is astonishing, it sound exactly like the cd without so much of post-production (which is incredibile)...I never heard Opeth guitar sound roaring in that consistent, huge way.
I think lamentations dvd has the best live sound they had ever...it's million miles away from roundhouse (isn't it a paradox since lamentations was shooted 5 years ago??) and i'm shure that in this last one they used pedal boards like the gt-8 (i have it), infact the sound is buzzy, and listening at it again and again i came to the conclusion that it's exactly the sound of Morningrise and Orchid (with better equalizations of course) i can bet my ass on this. (i think they really used boss gt-3 when they recorded that time)

Gt-8 or Gt-6 is a quite good pedalboard, i use it in our Tribute band live but it's ridicolous compared on valve pure distorsion.
In my opinion, if you want to get a decent sound shape at least you have to use it with a good guitar like a Gibson or a PRS, other guitars with cheap pickups would be a disaster. :)
Personally i use a Laney VH100R in clean channel and i use the distorsion of the pedal board that sucks some power from the valves and gives more presence to the sound...

What i suggest, if someone is wondering how to have a similar opeth sound, is to buy something like a mesa amplifier with an effect processor like g-major and stuff...Not cheap i know. :)

What i'm trying to say is not a nerd/gear-addicted reasoning...but i'm shure that the sound of a band is really important, particulary in Opeth, and this is way i get goosebumps everytime Master's apprentices blast my brain in lamentations dvd o_O and i don't get the same appeal in roundhouse with ghost of perdition (for example).. this is also very important for us in the tribute band off course, because we are trying to be as close as we can to the original.

goodbye!

pretty sure the guitar tracks were re-amped in the studio iirc.

Yes, it could be, because it's too awsome. :) Anyway the guitars sound is very clear and neat and that's because the original sound must be from the start very good because you cant take a good sound evene with post-equalization if you start with a poor-buzzy one, like roundhouse in my opinion (that one is not properly poor but yes, very buzzy)
Praise for the sound engineers in lamentations! :>

I would like to know how do they set up their live sound, Guitar->GT8->????HOw do they connect it with the laney's..and, do they mic the cabs?

I would like to know how do they set up their live sound, Guitar->GT8->????HOw do they connect it with the laney's..and, do they mic the cabs?

afaik it's guitar -> wireless -> gt8 for effects/gain -> laney (clean channel) -> laney cabs

in the case of fred I think it's relatively the same, except he's using marshall amps and cabs

lol it's written on my post 3 post before :>
Anyway, they should have tweaked very much to take out a good sound on that pedalboard.:yuk:
Here is an image a shooted in 2006:

img4787rs9.jpg

they use a gt-6 here. Pretty shure that they use that live right now. On roundhouse it's still gt-6.

For the vocals i don't know. Maybe i'll check the videos to find out, but i think that one or the other it's quite the same :) it's important that is a good microphone like a Shure but is more important what vocal chords you have. If you are Akerfeldt you are ok :D o_O:worship:

Andy Sneap reamped the guitars through a Soldano-modded Marshall JCM 800 2204.

What do you mean about reamped? You mean that they take the original sound and they put another stage of distorsion/equalization in post production? It's odd because Mike himself says in the dvd during the show that "this is really how we sound like" or something like that...

mhh..

What do you mean about reamped? You mean that they take the original sound and they put another stage of distorsion/equalization in post production? It's odd because Mike himself says in the dvd during the show that "this is really how we sound like" or something like that...

mhh..

something like that. I'm assuming that when they recorded lamentations, they had the clean DI tracks for all guitars as well as the distorted/effects tracks.

basically, sneap took the clean tracks, sent them out from the board in the studio to the soldano-modded marshalls (with cabs) and miked the cabs, then "re-recorded" those tracks.

I'd figure he did the same thing with the actual acoustic guitar tracks, except on a clean amp setting.

when mike made that comment, I'd figure he was making it about whatever part of the show they were in (off hand I can't remember where exactly he said that, whether they were on the acoustic set or the heavy set)

something like that. I'm assuming that when they recorded lamentations, they had the clean DI tracks for all guitars as well as the distorted/effects tracks.

basically, sneap took the clean tracks, sent them out from the board in the studio to the soldano-modded marshalls (with cabs) and miked the cabs, then "re-recorded" those tracks.

I'd figure he did the same thing with the actual acoustic guitar tracks, except on a clean amp setting.

when mike made that comment, I'd figure he was making it about whatever part of the show they were in (off hand I can't remember where exactly he said that, whether they were on the acoustic set or the heavy set)

holy f*ck! You are right, i didn't think about catching the clean sound and reamping it... That's cool, maybe they didn't have the problem of switching the tones on the pedalboard too because all was controlled by the sound engineers. That's why the changing between clean and distort are flawless in the lamentations dvd maybe. It's a very nice trick because you know for example, when i play in my tribute band sometimes in rehearsal i accidentally miss the switch with my foot :) :ill:

Could you see the heads? Are you sure it wasn't just Marshall cabs? Because I'm pretty sure Fredrik uses Marshall.

Marshalls indeed, found some good quality pics of the show:

Mike's stack:
dsc_9359-esc-c.jpg

Fredrik's stack, far left:
dsc_9209-esc-c.jpg

Martin Mendez still using Ampeg SVT and Ampeg "Refrigerator" 8x10 cabs:
dsc_8858-bass-c.jpg

(and, for those who care, his hair is growing back ;) )

Couldn't make out Axe's cymbals (although he is listed in the Sabian website as a Sabian artist), the drums had the DW logo.

However, those could be rentals for the venue - hauling amps and cabs to South America and back must be expensive.