Opeth’s Equipment Thread

Well, at the time they recorded Orchid and Morningrise they really didn't have enough money for proper pickups, so just stock ones. Anyway they both sound way too synthetic. Only the bass sound and the acoustics sound good to my ear.

I really think they DO use only GT6/8 drive, live. In live clips, we never see the "red light" on, it is always on the clean channel. Plus, Peter already said it I think. I prefer the sound of the Laney because I can't seem to get such a nice sound at a high volume but they actually really use the gt-8.

Hey, about it sounding very Modeled. You should try using the secondary eq (there's the pre-amp eq and the seperate one). On my gt-6 it can really help get out the sound, though it isn't near perfect.

I think they get such good sound from
A. Experience
B. Good guitars and pickups
C. Good amp cabinets and heads which match the gt6's sound signature.

Sadly for everyone, including everyone who own a gt-6 or 8, they actually really do you the distortion of the pedalboard... but I use the distortion of the Laney, with the effects (delay, chorus, etc) of the gt-8, using a midi controller

EDIT: By "sadly" I mean frustrating that we cannot get such a great sound with the gt-8

Yup, they do use the gt-6's (or 8, we shan't know) distortion live. Not the laney. It does sound great! And I have no idea how they pull it off. But even if the gt 6\8 is used just for secondary effects it's still a machine of great value.

What kinda pickups do they use? Do they use stock PRS pups?
I read somewhere (cant remember where) that they were endorsed by Seymour Duncan and I once saw a picture of Peter with a LP loaded with EMGs

What kinda pickups do they use? Do they use stock PRS pups?
I read somewhere (cant remember where) that they were endorsed by Seymour Duncan and I once saw a picture of Peter with a LP loaded with EMGs

They have their LP's with stock pickups, and also most PRS; the only ones I've actually seen with Duncans (SH-10 Full Shred for both bridge and neck; a kickass set) are Mikael's blue Custom 24 and Peter's "2-tone burst" C24. I've never seen them using EMG's, though. Are you sure?

They have their LP's with stock pickups, and also most PRS; the only ones I've actually seen with Duncans (SH-10 Full Shred for both bridge and neck; a kickass set) are Mikael's blue Custom 24 and Peter's "2-tone burst" C24. I've never seen them using EMG's, though. Are you sure?

Yeah, I think so
It was a D'Addario commercial

I Use a Marshall MG30dfx to practice with and even though i've had it for quite a while now i must admit i don't know how to even use the thing, or maybe i do and it's just broken somebody help me. The digital effects( presets knob/ fx level knob) don't work. I've fucked with them and nothing happens. And also i have no idea what the little black button that says FDD under it does. Someone whos got this piece of shit get back to me.

~Opeth~

\m/:mad:\m/

I actually got my VH100R + GS412I cab :)

The only thing I need is pedals to finally shape my sound how I want it to be. I thought about multifx, but IMO individual pedals can get you a better sound for they are made specifically for their purpose.

Hi guys, i sent an e-mail to PRS cause i am about buying a Custom 24, and i couldn't decide about neck... They sent me this mail...

################################
Hello,

We have made several guitars for Michael and several(Hollowbody,
Singlecut) have the Wide Fat neck carves, but his Custom 24 models
utilize the Regular neck carve.

Thank you for your continued support of Paul Reed Smith Guitars. I hope
you find this information helpful, please let me know if you have any
further questions.

Shawn Nuthall
Paul Reed Smith Guitars(.........)
################################

Peter does confirm that thier live sound comes from the pedal boards.
remember the signal path is probably like this the pedal board crates the sounds but with modeled speakers turned off, this sound goes to the laney amps which are probably set on clean channel with enough volume to get some extra sparkle from the output tubes and a little from the preamp, this sound goes to the stereo 4 by 12 speakers which is miked by a well chosen pair of mikes to complement the sound, this goes to the mixing desk where the sound guy enhances the sound and tailors it to fit with the rest of the band mix. The sound guy may alter the sound several times during the night to enhance different songs and sounds and may also add extra effects ie reverb and compression and eq. i suspect the reason the accustic sounds suck a bit live is because they go through the amps, also i do think a peizo pickup sytem would help, but the accustic sound wants to go straight to the desk.
if you have a small practice amp or even a good valve amp, set the clean channel to a fairly flat setting turn off any speaker modeling and try from thier. if you can get a little break up on the preamp use that then use the board to reduce slightly the input to the amp to clean it up on clean settings and extra drive to move the amp into a crunch rythmn sound. real heavy distortion and saturated leads need careful work on the processor. you could also try plugging directly into the effects return of the amp, as this bypasses the preamp and may give a better sound. just remember a small 1 by 12 cab is not going to sound like a 4 by 12 even when miked as the cabs have a differnt bass responce and sound.

if you have a valve amp you could set the amp to a littlle bit of crunch then use the guitars volume controle to vary the clean sounds (there will be loads of lovley sounds in this area alone) then use extra output level to drive the amp into a rythm sound and the distortion settings to give saturation.

also you could look at this link and no im not a rep www.atomicamps.com

however the really important parts you may never relpicate ie mike and perters fingers, pick controle attitiude and tecnique, but just try and find your own sounds and learn from as many different musicans as possable:headbang:

Mmmm i think Martin is probably very happy with the basses he has, he gets a good tone and i suspect the neck is good for him, i havent looked but i suspect his hands are smaller than say my clubs so he may find the jazz just right, where as for me the necks are to narrow on the Jazz bass, a wide yamaha neck works for me. I think Ampeg should sponser him if they dont already. :kickass:
Somehow cant think of Martin being into a custome shop fender.

do nord sponcer Per yet

I wonder why Martin always plays the two Fender basses instead of using the Fender endorsement deal and getting something else? I would.

I'd figure that Martin just likes those two basses (I assume you're talking about his Marcus Miller Jazz and the other sunburst Jazz?) and wouldn't need anything custom-tailored to his specs.

I've got a Line 6 150 head and cab, don't buy that it's shit!! I wouldn't go for Line 6 in general tbh:erk: . I've also got a marshall mg15, i reckon it's decent to practice on at home if you've got a good distortion pedal, i used a boss metal zone.

The Line 6 Vetta is completely amazing imo