Laptop and TV recs

What was the problem with the HP?

It started with a (15 month old) hard drive failure and ended with me coming to the realization that their laptops are composed of proprietary parts, which are of mediocre quality and priced at several times their actual value.

My Dell at least still runs after five years. It would probably be a lot better if I was more prudent about anti-virus updates. Had some technical issues while it was still under warranty (4-year student warranty ftw), but runs mostly okay still. My brother's slightly newer one runs well still. I think you'd be fine with the custom, especially since you'll save a nice amount with your own hard drives.

I'm looking for a tv too. They all seem more or less the same.

If you want an inexpensive TV you should probably get a CRT. The flatscreens have better picture quality and can handle HD, but CRTs have come way down in price and last longer. If you just want to watch TV and don't care about HD that's probably the way to go. One of my roommates managed to get one off Craigslist for 50 dollars so if you really want something cheap you can always look there.

My Dell at least still runs after five years. It would probably be a lot better if I was more prudent about anti-virus updates. Had some technical issues while it was still under warranty (4-year student warranty ftw), but runs mostly okay still. My brother's slightly newer one runs well still. I think you'd be fine with the custom, especially since you'll save a nice amount with your own hard drives.

I'm looking for a tv too. They all seem more or less the same.

Well, seems as though the standard HDD size for laptops now is over 200GB, so I would essentially have almost a terabyte of storage space now (LAWL). One of the XHDDs that I have is strictly for backup purposes because I thought my 250 GB was going to die, but it hasn't yet.

If you want an inexpensive TV you should probably get a CRT. The flatscreens have better picture quality and can handle HD, but CRTs have come way down in price and last longer. If you just want to watch TV and don't care about HD that's probably the way to go. One of my roommates managed to get one off Craigslist for 50 dollars so if you really want something cheap you can always look there.

Yeah, but the CRTs are still heavy as shit :-/

Anyway, I wasn't aware that they still sold CRTs

Go on dell business section and get a vostro when they have some deals on. You can sometimes pick up decent games machines for about the supermarket price of a basic laptop without a separate gfx card.

Yeah I got mine over a year ago for £530 on Dell UK. It has Core 2 duo 2.4 GHz processors, 3GB of ram, 250GB (5400RPM) SATA HD, and a 256 MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600M G, which pretty much does the job for playing recent games, although you'd want the 9600 at least now.

I heard Acers are kinda bunk, but whatever

I've been assured by my old man who builds systems that Acer and Asus are the best quality laptops. My girlfriend has an Asus and it's been great so far. Before that she had a HP and the motherboard randomly shat itself after about 3 years.

I was thinking Panasonic

Do it. I've got a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma and it's got a fucking awesome picture. Cost me $1300 AUS. I shopped around for ages to get the right tv as a lot of newer LCD's and plasmas look shite, heaps of pixelisation even on the newer more high def screens. Sony, Samsung, LG etc were all rubbish.

The Inspiron laptop I recently ordered (should be here late this month) was under 900 bucks (a little over with shipping and stuff I think, and I had some instant savings when I ordered it; when you buy one/if you do, just ask the sales rep about any good offers or discounts, they usually only give you them that way) and features a 2.2 ghz Intel Core processor, 4 gigs of RAM and a 320 gig SATA internal hard drive...so, it's good for the price. Only thing I am not keen on is a slot loading CD drive, but I might buy a USB one anyway.

I'm on another temp computer right now in the house; in case people were wondering why I wasn't being as regular as usual...my Dell laptop died too. Either a bad, bad fucking virus or mobo failure. Don't feel like reformatting and reinstalling XP Pro again to find out though since I'm just getting a new one anyway since that one admittedly was bad.

The Inspiron laptop I recently ordered (should be here late this month) was under 900 bucks (a little over with shipping and stuff I think, and I had some instant savings when I ordered it; when you buy one/if you do, just ask the sales rep about any good offers or discounts, they usually only give you them that way) and features a 2.2 ghz Intel Core processor, 4 gigs of RAM and a 320 gig SATA internal hard drive...so, it's good for the price. Only thing I am not keen on is a slot loading CD drive, but I might buy a USB one anyway.

Every single thing here applies to me and what I purchased in March. :guh:

I even hooked up a USB DL DVD+RW shortly after getting it.

Instead of spending as much as you would on a gaming laptop, get a non-gaming modest terminal kind of laptop that would let you do everything (internet, word, etc) but the heavy duty stuff and save up for a gaming PC. there's SIGNIFICANT difference between how games perform on laptops and PCs, and PC's are a whole different computing experience altogether anyway.

If you're determined to get a gaming laptop anyway, don't settle for anything other than an alienware. They're the only ones who know what they're doing as far as power notebooks are concerned.
Do you have Vista? If you do the hibernate option is good because it powers down but saves your state so you don't have to load all the start up programs again.
lolwut

I'm on another temp computer right now in the house; in case people were wondering why I wasn't being as regular as usual...my Dell laptop died too. Either a bad, bad fucking virus or mobo failure. Don't feel like reformatting and reinstalling XP Pro again to find out though since I'm just getting a new one anyway since that one admittedly was bad.

99% of the time it's something hardware related that goes wrong with the computer. I ran the built-in diagnostics that came with my Dell and everything tested came up 'OK' except for my HDD. I am curently on the desktop at my complex's leasing office.

As far as my search goes, I found a Toshiba laptop that I really like, but I'm going to do some more research with that. I think I will be getting a new TV soon (Samsung, much to satansoenail's chagrin since they are the best deal) and probably won't have a laptop for another month or so since I have to order it and it has to be built and whatnot if I end up going with Dell again (which is very likely even though I found that Toshiba). I was satisfied with my Dell so much that I'll most likely end up sticking with Dell until I have problems with one. I am tempted to buy a Dell at Best Buy or something, but after reading reviews about them it seems that those laptops tend to be shitty quality so they might just be mass produced and lower quality for the retail outlets.

I think I will be getting a new TV soon (Samsung, much to satansoenail's chagrin since they are the best deal)

DAMN YOU. All my good advice wasted. Prepare to wallow in the pixelised mire of suck, all the while telling yourself over and over that it's ok because you got the "best deal". :Smug:

DAMN YOU. All my good advice wasted. Prepare to wallow in the pixelised mire of suck, all the while telling yourself over and over that it's ok because you got the "best deal". :Smug:

Well, my brother-in-law informed me that the price on that Samsung went up anyway. It will pretty much come down to either Panasonic or Samsung in the end.