Laptop help...

Salvation 13

Burp.
Feb 9, 2006
Tampere, Finland
I'm looking to buy a new laptop, basically for recording. I'm using Cubase and a Firepod. I'm having memory problems with my current desktop when using a lot of plugins, so I was wondering if I'll have the same problem with the laptop.

Would this be any good?

HP PAVILION DV6013EA

PROCESSOR AMD Turion 64 X2
CLOCK SPEED N/A
CACHE 2 x 256 KB
MAIN MEMORY 1024 MB
MAIN MEMORY (MAX) 2 GB
TOTAL MEMORY SLOTS 2
AVAILABLE MEMORY SLOTS 0
MEMORY BUS DDR2-667
HARD DISK (GB) 100GB
HARD DISK RPM 5400 rpm
HARD DISK CONTROLLER Serial ATA
DISPLAY TFT WXGA Bright View
DISPLAY SIZE 15.4"
MAX. RESOLUTION 1280x800
DRIVE TYPE DVD+/-RW (Dual Layer)
OPERATING SYSTEMS Windows XP Home Edition
NIC 10/100
FAX/MODEM 56 K
WLAN YES a/b/g
USB-PORTS 3
PCMCIA-SLOTS 0 QTY
FIREWIRE CONNECTION 1
TV OUT CONNECTOR YES, S-VIDEO
INTEGRATED MEMORY CARD READER 5-in-1

agreed ^^^ pro tools and cubase run so much smoother on a mac hands down.. even if you put alot into a PC, macs tend to run with less problems/faster overall

I run a powerbook g4 12" the one I have only runs for around $1100 on ebay.

1.5ghz (solo)
1256mb RAM
80 Gig HD @ 5200
Superdrive
ATI 64mb RAM graphics card
Airport wireless
Bluetooth
Internal modem
2 2.0 USB Port
1 400 FW Port
Ethernet 10/100 port
Built in mic :)Puke:)
And a port to connect whatever monitor you got.

Runs cubase like a dream. I imagine the new macbook runs cubase 4 and studio 4 really well also. They got faster processors also.

The intel core 2 duos have some serious advantages for audio applications. Overall performance has to do with several factors.. RAM, HD speed, and CPU among others. If any one of these is a weak link, your performance will suffer. For instance don't settle for anything less than a 7200 RPM drive.

them][nstrel said:
The intel core 2 duos have some serious advantages for audio applications. Overall performance has to do with several factors.. RAM, HD speed, and CPU among others. If any one of these is a weak link, your performance will suffer. For instance don't settle for anything less than a 7200 RPM drive.

I have a 5400rpm drive in my macbook pro and I've had about 32 tracks in my projects... no problems at all and the disk i/o is at 25-30%. I haven't recorded more than 2 tracks at once though, but when it comes to mixing, 5400 rpm hard drive on this machine seems to be just fine.

then you're lucky!
what bit depth are you recording at? I suspect if you went much higher than 16 bit 44.1 it would bog down pretty quickly.. but it is also dependent on the cache and so on, and the type of drive it is. I have compared 5400 and 7200 RPM drives and let's just say generally, it's noticeable.