LATENCY HELP!!!

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
I downloaded the demo of reaper since I wanted to switch DAW from mac to windows as there are so many more free plug-ins available but i've had so much hassle with my focusrite saffire pro!! its the focusrite saffire pro 26 i/o and the problem is that in reaper when I play and hit record monitoring on I'm getting latency at about 110ms so when I go to adjust the buffers and buffer size to something like 50ms and apply it...i hit record monitor and all I get is this really crackly and sometimes modulated/chorus type sound coming out of my monitor while i play my guitar - even though the level isnt clipping or anything. But then when I adjust back up to something like 100ms there's no such sound and its perfect without the crackling! I'm tearing my hair out here, ive tried:

changing the sample rate on my saffirecontrol software to 44.1KHz just as in reaper... and then i adjusted my ASIO buffer size and FireWire buffersize in asio control panel or does that have nothing to do with reaper?

Asio buffer size = 8.0ms and firewire buffer size = 4.0ms..

somebody PLEASE help me and explain what this sound is its really pissing me off! the assholes at focusrite haven't been any help either they havent gotten back to me or acknowledged my question and its been a week..i've got all the updated firmware and drivers too.

thanks guys:cry:

but I cant seem to go any smaller without getting the crackling...its like when i compensate 1 for the other i either get crackling and perfectly on time...or latency and perfect sound...it cant be my computer. Could you explain what rough settings I might put into my DAW.. and should i use ASIO or WaveOut? thanks

thats the thing...i'm getting that raw crackling with the guitar sound straight into my preamp and out the monitors..the signal is untouched.. should i be using the asio control panel outside of reaper too? any idea on what settings I should have? thanks

I have a 2.4Ghz dual core and I get crackling with the lowest latency setting (granted 5 tracks of impulse emulators too) ...it might just be your cpu that needs upgrading. Low latency for tracking, high for mixing- general rule.

lololol. No wayyyy mate. I'm running a mac pro with 2 quad xeon processors and 2GB ram. I wasn't getting ANYYY latency issues on my mac partition with logic at all. Yeah but thats what im saying i CANT go below 110ms of latency without it crackling and 110ms is WAY too noticeable its like i've got a delay effect on my guitar

lololol. No wayyyy mate. I'm running a mac pro with 2 quad xeon processors and 2GB ram. I wasn't getting ANYYY latency issues on my mac partition with logic at all. Yeah but thats what im saying i CANT go below 110ms of latency without it crackling and 110ms is WAY too noticeable its like i've got a delay effect on my guitar

that sounds like some very bad settings somewhere.... i can get my sigmatel AC97 to work at 3ms with ASIO4ALL, so you ought to get at least that with your professional gear using proper drivers

yeah, i'm thinking it might be the drivers but nobody else has any complaints on their answerbase? Would explain why it works perfectly on my mac partition...Should I use the asio4all or full duplex?