manually compensating for recording latency

dude, i know....that's the sole reason for my problems!
you can switch between automatic latency compensation (or whatever the fuck it's called), or you can manually enter the number by how many ms the tracks shall be shifted forwards/backwards.
if i set it to auto mode, it automatically slides my audio forward by the amount of ms reported by the asio driver, in my case 4ms.
i could disable this, or set it to 0, but that only works if i ALWAYS have my buffer at 64 samples OR don't forget to switch it back to auto when changing the buffer size, e.g. for reamping guitars in a more progressed mix.

Started happening to me out of nowhere on my Laptop.
I think like a 16th ahead of the beat EVERY beat.

At first I though, oh I must be having a terrible.
Stat their tapping my strings to the metronome and it was consistently out.
Pain in the fucking ass.

This also drove me nuts awhile ago when i was tracking keyboards. I Recorded the MIDI performance, corrected it in Reaper if needed and then played the MIDI while recording the Audio from the Synth. But with MIDI there are more things in the equation: Does it send the MIDI data to the Synth in realtime or with the latency included? If it sends with latency then the Audio is delayed because reaper is not compensating for both things, the Midi out plus the Recorded Audio in...
I gave up trying to understand it and just shifted the recorded audio when it didn't sound right.

In cubase....is this under the device menu?

I have the same issue, always thought it was my playing.....Tracking sound perfect while i play. Then playback is off beat.

Well it doesn't make that much of a difference I mean even 50 samples out of 44100 or 88200 isn't that big of a deal in the big picture. But it is enough to affect phase without a doubt. But it probably won't change the performance much. That is just over 1 ms. I mean that small of a difference is like being a foot further away from your speaker based on the speed of sound (roughly 1ms per foot). Any digital FX device will be 1-3 ms off just due to the conversion process, then I have seen some up to 7ms of delay in the processing.

My MOTU 828mkIII was 28 samples off. What is going to suck is that my converters for ADAT were different. My Presonus Digimax FS was 36 and Behringer ADA8000 was 52. So I will probably have to set up some delays or just be careful about phase coherency across interfaces. I am not sure if Cubase has the equivalent of channel tool.

But don't expect it to make or break your playing. It isn't even really noticeable outside of phase, think taking a step farther away from your amp and see if it makes a difference.

In Cubase, it is under Devices->Device Setup->VST Devices.

Thanks to Enditol for the video and AudioGeekZine for giving me a "duh" moment.