Latency problem.....again!!

zetell

New Metal Member
Dec 4, 2007
I have a small problem.
Say for example that I'm recording a guitar part on track 1. And then when I'm overdubbing the same guitar part on track 2 it gets a "chorus sound-a-like"effect. And the same effect is being heard when I'm playing back the two recorded tracks.

My setup is as follows:
Packard Bell running Windows Vista and Cubase SX3
Intel core duo 1,73 GHz
2 GB Memory
140 GB HDD

I'm using the Lexicon Alpha interface.
I've chosen the both the Alpha ASIO Driver and the Direct monitoring button in the Devices menu in Cubase. Have also tried the "phase reverse" function, but it didn't make any difference.
Total input latency: 6,803ms
Total output latency: 73,696ms

Does anyone know what this is and how to solve this problem?
Could this be a very small latency that I'm hearing?

Wierd that it sounds like that even when recorded. :S
There should be(not sure) a sync function somewhere that syncs your input with the program.
And another problem is that your program seems to playback the sound your currently recording, instead of just sending the signal straight to your speakers(i have a hard time expressing what i mean here. :p).
What i mean is that it seems like youre program is doing this: Guitar -> recording -> Playback, instead of Guitar -> Playback AND recording.
So, it should not play what it is recording, but it should play back the input(GAAAAH!).

Im shitty at explaining these things, hopefully youre just as dumb as i am and know exactly what i meant! :D

sounds like you gotta nudge the second track a little bit to get rid of that, unfortunately it is most likely the latency of the interface, only other advice i can give is to play with the buffer a bit and see if you can't get rid of it that way

Haha, I know what you mean Notuern:lol:

OK, this is maybye elementary but I'm new to this....
When I pan my two guitar-tracks L/R the Chorus/phase issue dissapears! Could this be the solution for my problem? And how come?

Man I never had that kind of letency with that device. Am I reading that right 6,803 ms input latency? As in six-thousand-eight-hundred-three ms?

Anyhow make sure the latency compensation option is checked (under devices list where you select your asio driver and set buffers etc) and ALWAYS monitor using zero latency monitoring along with playback (and yes I know that device has the ability to do it).

Ah okay.

Well then thats not really that bad IMO. Here is the steps you need to fallow (probably different on XP/SX 3)
Menu1.png

Menu2.png

Latencycompensation.png

Take this advice with a grain of salt as I probably have something set wrong.

Then...after messing around in the device-menu for a while it finally sounds like it should!

I'm Norwegian so 6,803ms is 6 point 8-thousandth of a second and not 6 point 8 seconds:)

Big thanks to everybody for helping me out:headbang: