Latency with Kefir?

Nov 6, 2006
Taylor, MI
I have observed that kefir is a zero latency plugin. The way im recording guitar right now is putting Amp sim>Kefir>Eq on an input channel with an input from my interface. I also have a seperate di input channel sharing the same input from my interface. When looking at the di compared to the signal coming from the amped bus, The di clearly comes before the amped signal. They are not aligned and i dont understand why. The only thing i can think of is kefir having a latency. Im using nuendo by the way and i checked the delay in the plug-in information menu. All of the plugins im using on the input bus have a 0 sample latency. Could there be something else im missing here?

wait, so you're recording the DI as well as another track with the amp sim printed on it? I don't see what the purpose of that is...

wait, so you're recording the DI as well as another track with the amp sim printed on it? I don't see what the purpose of that is...

The purpose of this is to not have 20 instances of an amp sim and kefir loaded onto tracks. This way i can track an amped signal and still have my di for editing and reamping purposes. All while my cpu isnt sweating its balls off trying to keep up with the flow haha.

The audible difference isn't my problem. The main reason i track the di along with the amped signal is to see transients better for editing purposes. If the di and the amped signal aren't perfectly aligned it kind of defeats the purpose of tracking the di. Ill be moving the di to grid and the amped signal which is the one that will be actually audible will indeed be incorrectly edited.

Thats a possibility but putting it on the input bus has some advantages.
No need to set up all the parameters on every track
No need to high/low pass on all the tracks
No annoying bouncing
No Risk of bouncing a bad edit
Simply more consistent(if i can figure out what is delaying it)

i checked all the latencies of the plugins in the plug in information window and they all have a 0 sample latency. even so, nuendo can compensate for that delay even if there was a latency attached to the plugin. ill try some other impulses and ampsims and well see what happens

The purpose of this is to not have 20 instances of an amp sim and kefir loaded onto tracks. This way i can track an amped signal and still have my di for editing and reamping purposes. All while my cpu isnt sweating its balls off trying to keep up with the flow haha.

Why not just create a preset of your settings, load it onto the recording track as a monitoring chain, and record that way? You get the best of both worlds. You're only recording one track (the DI), the latency should be 0 (as long as your PC can handle it), and you can flicker it on and off as your heart desires while editing. It'd be a lot easier this way than wasting space tracking both the DI as well as the DI with the sims printed on it.

Why not just create a preset of your settings, load it onto the recording track as a monitoring chain, and record that way? You get the best of both worlds. You're only recording one track (the DI), the latency should be 0 (as long as your PC can handle it), and you can flicker it on and off as your heart desires while editing. It'd be a lot easier this way than wasting space tracking both the DI as well as the DI with the sims printed on it.

Word