Latest mix 5150, SSD and Joey Cymbal Pack (Misery Signals, Volumes)

mike2205

Aug 24, 2009
Manchester, UK
This is a new song by my band Empires Fade. I think it's pretty close to being finished, but it would be nice to have some other peoples ears/ideas on the mix.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5054823/EF%20THH%20V1.mp3

This is definitely one of my favorite mixes I've done, I finally think I've nailed 'real' guitar tones. Bye bye amp sims.

Drums are programmed. Kick 12, Snare 10 (55%) a sample my friend gave me years ago (45%) no idea where it came from haha. The toms are Maple Toms.

Cymbals are Joey's Emmure cymbal pack.

Guitars were reamped through a 5150/Framus Dragon Cab after they'd been edited and crossfaded.

After having it on repeat there are a couple of things I think I'd change, but it's mainly to do with the master. I'm stuck in between trying to get it as loud as I can whilst not making it clip. I think it clips in a couple of places, so I may go back and make it quieter. Maybe the vocals are a little loud.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've done a new mix, changed a few things. After a couple of listens comparing it to the old one I think it sounds better.

Empires Fade - The Highest Highs 2

sounds pretty good to me. main things that stick out are the snare and hats. snare sounds too fake to me, and the hats are pretty harsh.

Harsh hi hat's are fixed. When you say 'the snare is fake', do you mean the sound of it, or that all the velocities are the same and it's obvious it hasn't been played? I need to go in and change the velocities. But I haven't done it yet.

Change the snare and it'll kick some ass.

Is the snare really that bad that I need to change samples? haha

Can anyone suggest a better sample?

Try backing down on the velocity on the snare some to take away some of the harshness maybe. Sometimes depending on the sample that will work. Worth a try because I like the sample, it's just a little to harsh with no balls to it. No oompf and too much clak. lol