New mix and some problems I'm running into (Deathcore, 5150+Krank, SSD)

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
So here is my latest mix but I still have some trouble.
Since I'm using more outboard gear I have to export in realtime and have some problems with the delay which you can hear at 3:01. It seems like cubase doesn't care about the tempo-track anymore. Let's say a song starts at 120 bpm, later it's 160 but the delay still works at 120 bpm. Anyone else having that problem?

edit: seems like the delay is doing weird stuff all over the song. but only the exported file. not in the project.

There is still some bad clipping when the subdrops set in... band wants them and I have to find a way to deal with them and make them huge. Pretty hard.

Some infos:

Guitars are doubletracked, blend of 5150+Krank Rev -> Krank Rev cabinet (loaded with V30) -> single 57 into api 3124.

Drums are S2.0 Avatar, some LSD, some Sturgis, some SSD.

Vocals are SM7b into Audient ASP008. had a hard time tracking those. had a talk to the vocalist and asked him not to growl because it sounded weak.

link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2932654/alice/Alice%20Against%20The%20Wonderland%20-%20First%20Final%20-%204.mp3

It seems like I can't judge my own mixes at all lately. need some constructive criticism.

I think you're fighting an uphill battle.
I don't wanna say anything about the music cause I know who it is, but I think you'll have a tough time making this sound professional...not your fault though.
I don't think there's much you can do about the vox, will probably just have to live with it, you should work on the bass though, it needs some more grind and grittyness to cut through the guits better.
and damn, it feelslike 15minutes until the song starts, tell them to get rid of that generic boring-as-fuck breakdown bit in the beginning, would help the song immensely....
it sounds like it's got 4 intros glued one after the other until the first "verse" starts...the song would be WAY better if it just started with the "4th" intro (where the guitarslides are, just before "pushing me out".
but that's "arrangement/production", not "mix", so I don't know how big your influence is....
well, now that we're at it...get rid of the part between the verses as well (up to that "spoken words" bit).......
well, forget what I just said, the song would turn out being very short if you deleted the all the boring bits.
really man, it feels like they're glueing a handfull of riffs together that have nothing to do with each other...like starting the song over and over again.
well, now I did give "production tips" and I actually wanted to comment on the mix only...so back to the mix:
I do like the kick and snare...the drums in gerneral sound alright. something is a bit weird about the guitars, but they don't suck IMO...the bass definitely needs some work though

thanks. I know what you're talking about Lasse and believe me that I allready took some responsibility in case of productions and this is the best song out of 5 imo. I think what's weird about the guitars is their playing. Really. I reamped 3 times, threw it away, tried Ampsims... all sound shit. I cut some more mids I guess. Oh boy oh boy.

Guitars sound very "closed" imo, I'd try to open them up a bit more, if that makes sense...
more power on the bass would help for sure
I like the kick, snare sounds a bit sloppy to my ears but they sound very programmed, like everything at 127

also the guitars are sloppy right at the first rhythm pattern

I think the snare is just way too loud and separated. This is not the final mix. About sloppiness: Guitars are sloppy all over the place. but that paticular spot you're talking about was even worse befor I TRIED to edit them. I think editing guitars sounds always strange so I try to get the performance done as good as possible. To be honest they had no clue about their own songs and I had to reprogramm the whole part. it's one big mess and I'm really really trying to make the best out of it.

thanks for you condolence. and yeah... preproduction is a pure win, but it seems like most bands are choosing the cheapest option. you know... now that I can record real drums all of them want them to be programmed. it's a strange world. cheap bastards :D