architects style band with all that techno stuff and silly dancing (5150, superior 2)

Emdprodukt

Member of Dude Castle 69
Jun 26, 2007
Kiel, Germany
very young and talented band. really dig their songs.

for some reasons the delays are again fucked up in this mixdown... this seems to happen often in songs with lot's of time changes in cubase 5.

guitars:
5150 + krank rev (loaded with v30) -> sm57 -> api 3124

bass was a fender squier jazz. fucked up instrument with a string action of 3ft. we used it anyway.

drums are s2.0 avatar with lsd+sturgis+slate all over the place.

vocals are sm7b -> audient asp008

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2932654/TYF/TYF%202.mp3

this is not the finished mix. just a first mixdown. needs some fixes and automation. I'm not 100% sure about the guitars. they're pretty low gain but I like that.

tell me what you guys think!

UPDATE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2932654/TYF/TYF%20-%202.2.mp3

I like it very much! It sounds really tight!!
Nice vocals!
I like all the song! Even the electronic part.
The guitar without noisegate at the beginning likes me too :headbang:
Guitars sound great to me.

more meat on the guitars? sound a tad undergained to me, some of the riffs sound a bit weak that way
makes the strummed parts easier to tell apart though
snare is awesome, kick also works very nice with the mix
vocals could be louder for sure
will be a powerfull mix once you're finished man! great work

i agree with mago, guitars are maybe perhaps a bit undergained, but maybe not for the music.. they could be brighter for sure, though!

nice mix, and good production on the song overall!

thanks,

thanks guys, as mentioned I'm thinking of reamping or just giving it more saturation.

not sure about the samples I used but I will let you know. My snare chain is usually pretty long. :) I get a lot of my snare sound from the rooms and oh's though.

vocals need more volume, bass needs less, techno part string-synth sounds kinda lame.
interesting song though, i like the atmospheric part at the end,

cheers
S.

hm... what strikes me the most is that these guys try playing stuff they cant... their intonation is lacking,
they seem to hit the strings too light, thats what makes the guitars sound a little weak.
also i dont like how the snare in that context, id try more but subtle roominess to the drums. its just too flat,
the mix needs a little depth somehow. as everything is too dry, id try the snare first, maybe some ssd slate custom would work well.
though i do not agree with those vocals, would leave them nestled like this...

thanks for all the replies. I'm not that much into synth, maybe someone has an idea. i'll raise the rooms, lower the bass a tad, reamp two rythm tracks for more meat and check the vocals again.

oh and about intonation... None of their instruments were setup properly. To be true it was the opposite and what i had to work with.

More BMTH than Architects imo. What are you using for that drum machine synth thingie sound? Would be cool to know. Otherwise great mix, just raise the vocals and work the bass EQ a bit, it kinda cuts through too much, give it some meat!

update:

I've reamped the guitars, but only 2 of 4 rythm tracks. I think it's still the same character with a bit more gain, more meat, more good.
There was no reverb at all on the drums. Fixed.
Changed the comp on the bass, I think it sits much better now, let me know if not.
Tried to make the techno part better... I'm stuck there.

link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2932654/TYF/TYF%20-%202.2.mp3

Btw. the snare chain was... short... REALLY short. 100% trigger with sturgis snare 1 and slate snare. Gclip, that's it. Lol.
Oh and I don't listen to bmth so sorry for that :)