Latin and Black Metal

Probably because it sounds cool and masks the lyrics in a veneer of intellectual seriousness. And let's face it, a lot of black metal tries really hard to be taken seriously.

I read that Euronymous intended the album title to translate to "Lord Satan's Secret Rites"... but that it more accurately translates to "Of Lord Satan's Mysteries".

I don't know a lick about Latin, but using common sense and judging by the words in the title, I'd say the story is likely. :lol:

Before the rise of christ, dear.

No shit, asshole. My argument is that Latin is more immediately associated with Christianity, and that's the main reason why it's ironically employed by quasi-Satanist musicians.

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas supposedly isn't a correct interpretation of what Euronymous wanted?

The Dom. in that is an abbreviation for "Domini", which should agree with Sathanas, but it should be Sathanae (Greek proper name).

I don't understand why he used the word "De" at all if that's indeed what he wanted to mean.

A large number of Latin texts by both ancient, and more recent authors like Newton and Copernicus, use that preposition, which in that sense means "concerning".

"Concerning the [Sacred] Mysteries of Lord Satan"

Might as well inquire about this here. "Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum"= The Truth of the Devil's Morning upon Eternity???

Good please translate :D

Secrets of the Moon - Metamorphoses

Aurea prima sata est aetas, quae vindice nullo
Sponte sua, sine lege fidem rectumque colebat.

Postquam Saturna tenebrosa in Tartara misso
Sub love mundus erat, sublit argentea proles,
Auro deterior, fulvo pretiosior aere.

Tertia past illam succesit aena proles,
Saevior ingenlis et ad horrida promptior arma,
Non scelerata tamen. De duro est ultima ferro.
Protinus inrupit venae peioris in aevum
Omne nefas: fugere pudor verumque fidesque;

Neve foret terries securior arduus aether,
Adfectasse renum caeleste gigantas
Altaque congestos struxisse ad sidera montes.
Tùm pater omnipotens misso perfregit Olympum
Fulmine et excussit subiectae Pelion Ossae
Obruta mole sua cum corpora dira iacerent,
Inmaduisse ferunt calidumque animasse cruorem,
Et, ne nulla suae stirpis monimenta manerent,
In faciem vertisse hominum. Sed et illa propago
Contemptrix superum saevaeque avidissima caedis
Et violenta fuit: scires e sanguine natos.​

There's always been a connection with Latin religion. And anti-religion as well. For example "Jhva Elohim Meth" from Nietzche's "The Gay Science". Catholic rites use Latin, which in and of itself is enough reason for Satanic bm bands to use it in an ironic way, just as Zeph said. Or maybe it's really as simple as they think it sounds cool.

Yes you're right. I'm so out of it tonight. Jhva is a manipulation of Yweh, which then became Jehova...nothing to do with Latin at all. This just lets me know it's time to turn in.

Might as well inquire about this here. "Veritas Diaboli Manet in Aeternum"= The Truth of the Devil's Morning upon Eternity???
My Latin is a bit rusty but I believe that means "The truth of the devil remains in eternity". Correct me if I'm wrong Zeph.

I think black metal bands use Latin mostly because it sounds serious, esoteric and kvlt. As an ancient language now only used in religious ritual it has a mysterious, alien feel which is a mood often evoked by black metal.

Use of Latin would certainly be in line with many black metal bands' longing for ancient times and rejection of modern times and values. This is probably not the reason for the widespread use of Latin in black metal, though.

I noticed that Latin is also used by many non-satanic black metal bands. Take Nazgul, for instance. All their lyrics are based on Lord of the Rings. lol