Latin and Black Metal

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
Some of you may know I'm a Latin major, and I plan to get a doctorate in said language. So it's natural I find the frequent use of this language in Black Metal a fascinating subject.

My question is: why? So many Black Metal bands use Latin to some degree, often in a Satanic context, such as "in nomine Domini nostri Sathanas" or "Ave Sathanas, in excelsis" etc. etc...

The best conclusion I can draw is this: Latin is the official language of Catholicism, the True Church, which is abounding in ritual, though Christian. So to use such a language in Satanic rites serves as powerful irony. To dedicate yourself to Satan the same way Catholics dedicate themselves to God poses a strong contrast.

I see bits of Latin all over the place in Black Metal, so I want the best reason why they use it.

I think the fact that many old prayers and religious texts were written in Latin is a deciding factor in their use of the language, plus the aforementioned relation to Catholicism.

Another influence on the way that these new Satanic black metal bands, particular the ones related to NoEvDia, write their lyrics and concepts is certainly Georges Bataille.

OK maybe he didn't, I think I jumped the gun on that assumption :p but I know Crowley took the full version of my username as his motto at some point in his life. I think a lot of bands pretty much just jump on the Latin bandwagon, because it doesn't have any "cultural" bias now (like, it would be kind of weird for Norwegian bands to randomly use Spanish song titles or whatever) and looks "evil" or something.

He took a preexisting phrase, I assume.

What bothers me (and a very small number of other enlightened individuals) is that too many bands misuse Latin grammar in lyrics and album/song titles in an attempt to apear kvlt. But I guess since not enough people know better (or gives a rat's flying fuck), it doesn't matter.

This quote is often attributed to Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus, where it appeared supposedly as Vi veri ueniversum vivus vici, however no direct citation has been found

So no one really knows where it first originated, though it's supposed to be in that.

Yes, I'm wondering why Latin seems more "evil" than one's native language. I think it has nothing evil to do with it, and that it's all for the irony which I discussed earlier.

Well they sing about Satanic topics so none of it really makes sense but sounds aesthetically pleasing. In a way, it kind of mocks the church in a mimicking fashion.

Yes, I'm wondering why Latin seems more "evil" than one's native language. I think it has nothing evil to do with it, and that it's all for the irony which I discussed earlier.

Well, I think it's simply because it is "esoteric" and "dead" that it is enticing to black metal bands.

Well the Roman Empire and the Catholic Church were one and the same for a good deal of time, and when the Western Empire fell all that was left was the Church.

Latin is ancient. It comes from when the world was still full of mystery and unexplained things, and it does help black metal capture the essence of those times.

It also could be some sort of mockery, speaking of the devil in the quintessentially christian language.

A lot of the "orthodox BM" modern stuff is very much just sardonic irony. The entire booklet of SMRC is functionally a psalm book.

But to some degree they take Satanism seriously, and still include Latin, as if Satanism were fundamentally mocking of Christian ritual.