Layne Staley is dead...

it's so sad to know that he died alone...and that he couldn't get over his drug addiction.
We've lost another artist, but his music still remains and will be forever.
Heaven besides you, R.I.P Layne.

Various quotes from Layne Staley:

"When I tried drugs they were fucking great, and they worked for me for years, and now they're turning against me- and now I'm walking through hell and this sucks. I didn't want my fans to think heroin was cool. But then I've had fans come up to me and give me the thumbs up, telling me they're high. That's exactly what I didn't want to happen."

"When somebody starts asking me if I'm an addict of how messed up I am or just stupid and stuff like that, it's like man do you have a brain at all? Aside from a brain, do you have any feelings at all? What if I started asking these questions? This is really personal stuff!"

"I found out through the Internet that I have AIDS. I learned that I was dead. Where else would I find these things? I don't see a doctor regularly. I was in San Francisco at Lollapalooza, and this girl walked up to me and stopped like she had seen a ghost. And she said, 'You're not dead.' and I said, 'No, you're right.' Wow."

"People have the right to ask questions and dig deep when you're hurting people and things around you, but when I haven't talked to anyone in years, and every single article I see is dope this, junkie that, whiskey this... That ain't my title...my bad habits aren't my title. My strengths and talents are my title."

"Drugs are not the way to the light. They won't lead to a fairy-tale life. They lead to suffering."

These last few months have surely been very very bad for music. It's a real shame Staley died, he was a brilliant musician. I guess sometimes a person does reach the point of no return... R.I.P.

I can't believe it!

Well, I suppose I'd been expecting something like this for years. At one stage Alice In Chains were probably my favourite band. Stayley was a great vocalist. He's contribution to dark rock is invaluable.

I only hope the bandwagon of Stayley lovers doesn't get out of hand ala Cobain....

R.I.P Layne Stayley

I really loved the way his voice sounded. I really liked his music. They were playing "Man In The Box" this morning on a radio station. They thought they were being comedians. Out of everything they play on the radios now a days, I don't listen too long without popping in a tape. I can't stand most of it, but I always liked Alice In Chains. That's too bad.

This was THE band that really got me into dark music. When I listened to AIC, I found out that others felt just like I did and wrote music about it. One of my dreams was to know him personally and watch them play live.
Why, Layne, why?...

Evidently everyone who has replied to the thread, tough guy.

For the people who grew up with Alice In Chains, it means a fair fucking bit, to be honest.